Items to consider when installing home charging?

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Starting tomorrow I am getting bids to have a 14-50 plug installed in my garage to charge my car. What are some things to think about or ask the electrician doing the work?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Starting tomorrow I am getting bids to have a 14-50 plug installed in my garage to charge my car. What are some things to think about or ask the electrician doing the work?
Best bet is to get 3 or so quotes from reputable electricians (I got 6 — yikes) and provide them with the instructions from Tesla. If you’re fearful of being gouged because it’s for a Tesla then at least translate the instructions.

My quotes ranged from $400-750 and I went with the electrician I was most comfortable with at $500. Cost will certainly vary by area, difficulty of install, and length of the run from your panel.

Here is a write up with pictures from my recent install:

https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/home-charging.86/page-22#post-42876

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
know ahead of time where you want the outlet installed (you probably already do)
Install cost will increase the further from the electrical panel the outlet is. If you can keep it close to the panel, it will save.
I would personally use a commercial grade 14-50 outlet. A lot of the residential rated ones are intended to have an appliance plugged into it and never unplugged - or at least not until the resident moves out. The commercial ones have beefier connections and can take the abuse of something being plugged in and out more frequently.
Some places allow surface mounted conduit and others require wire to be behind gyp board, so ask what is required by code in your area for running the wires (if getting multiple quotes, hopefully all say the same). Same with the gauge wire required for the length of run your outlet will be from the panel.
you don't need to tell them what the outlet is for, it's a pretty standard install. A reputable electrician should have the same rates not matter if you tell them it's for a Tesla or a stove, but if you are worried about it, don't tell them.
do some googling and see if there are any local discounts available. When I had my WC installed, I found in my area, there is an Electrical trade organization that offers $50 (I think it was $50...) services from most all of our local electricians. I needed to request the paper copy of their coupon and it took a few weeks, but saved some cash for sure :).

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Best bet is to get 3 or so quotes from reputable electricians (I got 6 — yikes) and provide them with the instructions from Tesla. If you’re fearful of being gouged because it’s for a Tesla then at least translate the instructions.

My quotes ranged from $400-750 and I went with the electrician I was most comfortable with at $500. Cost will certainly vary by area, difficulty of install, and length of the run from your panel.

Here is a write up with pictures from my recent install:

https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/home-charging.86/page-22#post-42876
Thanks I have two lined up right now. I have the one that RiggerJon used coming tomorrow and another one that I had install a new fan and move a smoke detector for me when I bought this house. I am thinking mine will be WAY more expensive than your install. Austin is a very busy growing market and all the trades are jacking up their prices because they can. For example we had wanted a pool for awhile and we got quotes when we bought this house and put off the pool for a couple years and then got new quotes. The prices had gone up across the board by almost 50% by all builders. So a pool that was 45k was around 65k two years later.

Anyway our house has the electrical on the left side of the house on the base of a tall foundation. The garage is on the right side of the house. I honestly don't know how they would make a new run from the left side of the house. I have a panel in the garage but I think it is maxed out. Also I have a 150 amp circuit but I feel like I might need 200 amps. I do have an electric stove and dryer currently wired that I do not use (I have gas) but I also have 2 AC units a pool pump, etc... It will definitely be a learning experience today.

know ahead of time where you want the outlet installed (you probably already do)
Install cost will increase the further from the electrical panel the outlet is. If you can keep it close to the panel, it will save.
I would personally use a commercial grade 14-50 outlet. A lot of the residential rated ones are intended to have an appliance plugged into it and never unplugged - or at least not until the resident moves out. The commercial ones have beefier connections and can take the abuse of something being plugged in and out more frequently.
Some places allow surface mounted conduit and others require wire to be behind gyp board, so ask what is required by code in your area for running the wires (if getting multiple quotes, hopefully all say the same). Same with the gauge wire required for the length of run your outlet will be from the panel.
you don't need to tell them what the outlet is for, it's a pretty standard install. A reputable electrician should have the same rates not matter if you tell them it's for a Tesla or a stove, but if you are worried about it, don't tell them.
do some googling and see if there are any local discounts available. When I had my WC installed, I found in my area, there is an Electrical trade organization that offers $50 (I think it was $50...) services from most all of our local electricians. I needed to request the paper copy of their coupon and it took a few weeks, but saved some cash for sure :).
Yeah I am hoping it can be at the front of the garage between the two doors. That way it is on the back left of my car when I pull it in forward. Also if we ever get another EV it is between the two cars.

Thanks about commercial grade plug. I will ask about that. Honestly I would prefer that the run be behind the wall but I don't think that is possible. My garage is fully finished with baseboards (yeah it is silly and doesn't make sense to me) so I figure it would be very costly to run it behind the wall. I might have to pay someone for some sheetrock repair when complete.

I am sure they all know what this is for without me saying it. Especially where I want the plug. That is why I am getting multiple quotes.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks I have two lined up right now. I have the one that RiggerJon used coming tomorrow and another one that I had install a new fan and move a smoke detector for me when I bought this house. I am thinking mine will be WAY more expensive than your install. Austin is a very busy growing market and all the trades are jacking up their prices because they can. For example we had wanted a pool for awhile and we got quotes when we bought this house and put off the pool for a couple years and then got new quotes. The prices had gone up across the board by almost 50% by all builders. So a pool that was 45k was around 65k two years later.

Anyway our house has the electrical on the left side of the house on the base of a tall foundation. The garage is on the right side of the house. I honestly don't know how they would make a new run from the left side of the house. I have a panel in the garage but I think it is maxed out. Also I have a 150 amp circuit but I feel like I might need 200 amps. I do have an electric stove and dryer currently wired that I do not use (I have gas) but I also have 2 AC units a pool pump, etc... It will definitely be a learning experience today.

Good luck with it. Yeah I'm going to agree that your install will likely be more given the run and potential complexity.

Frank99

Model 3 owner since May 3, 2018
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hubbell is a good name in Electrical components. They sell two different 14-50 outlets:
Their TradeSelect version:
and their heavy-duty version, the HBL9450A:
http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/wiring/datasheet.asp?PN=HBL9450A

$15 for one, $82 for the other. Of course, if you're spending $1000 to get an install done, the $70 difference isn't much to speak of.

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ended up getting mine done as a 'housecall'. Saved dealing with quotes and giant swings in prices. I wanted mine right next to the panel and I got quotes from 5-800. Housecall cost 350 and was the same day. 100 of that was the permit so it was pretty reasonable.

JBsC6

Country
Country
Nice house...I always wonder what the real estate taxes are in your area....fill us in....good luck and the cost shouldn't be too high for the plug...

I'd say 500 tops...and I'm not even sure I'll spend the extra 500 for the wall mounted charger...the tesla dealership employees sort of implied why bother?

It's true I'll probably never miss the one hour savings for a full charge...

Just plug it in every night and don't even bother putting the plug wires back in the trunk unless I'm planning an over night trip which I would rarely do with the tesla anyway..

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
First quote just came back and was roughly $2400. Honestly I am not too surprised. Basically they have to run the wire through a conduit up into a first floor attic. Then from there up until the 2nd floor attic (I have 4 separate attics). Then out of the second floor attic through conduit down the other side of the house into the 1st floor attic over the garage. Then down the wall to where I want it.

The city has a rebate program and will pay 1/2 of the cost but I am not sure I like the terms of the rebate. I am still considering it though.

Hubbell is a good name in Electrical components. They sell two different 14-50 outlets:
Their TradeSelect version:

$15 for one, $82 for the other. Of course, if you're spending $1000 to get an install done, the $70 difference isn't much to speak of.
Thanks I'll check that out

Ended up getting mine done as a 'housecall'. Saved dealing with quotes and giant swings in prices. I wanted mine right next to the panel and I got quotes from 5-800. Housecall cost 350 and was the same day. 100 of that was the permit so it was pretty reasonable.
Yeah unfortunately my panel is far away from the garage and the city requires permits so I think the permit cost alone is several hundred.

Nice house...I always wonder what the real estate taxes are in your area....fill us in....good luck and the cost shouldn't be too high for the plug...

I'd say 500 tops...and I'm not even sure I'll spend the extra 500 for the wall mounted charger...the tesla dealership employees sort of implied why bother?

It's true I'll probably never miss the one hour savings for a full charge...

Just plug it in every night and don't even bother putting the plug wires back in the trunk unless I'm planning an over night trip which I would rarely do with the tesla anyway..
Taxes on my house after discounts for homestead exemption are about 2% which are about double what the rate was in California where I moved from 12 years ago. The difference is this house would cost over 2x as much in California so it is a wash. The issue here is the housing costs are skyrocketing here. There is no protection on your taxes either so you can find yourself quickly taxed out of your home. The good thing is usually takes awhile for them to figure out what your house is really worth. I bought this one 4 years ago and put a pool in the backyard. I am guessing it has went up around 100k over what I paid for it + the cost to install the pool. When I bought it it had a lot of cosmetic things that were kind of off putting so I was able to get it cheaper than value. I then replaced the flooring and counters/backsplash. I think that helped quite a bit.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
First quote just came back and was roughly $2400. Honestly I am not too surprised. Basically they have to run the wire through a conduit up into a first floor attic. Then from there up until the 2nd floor attic (I have 4 separate attics). Then out of the second floor attic through conduit down the other side of the house into the 1st floor attic over the garage. Then down the wall to where I want it.
That expensive, but then again I'm not surprised at all. That's a massive job and a lot of material as compared to my fairly simple and straightforward install.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Second quote was more than $700 cheaper. Plus the estimator was driving a Model S. I also believe this is one of the recommended Tesla installers but I have to verify.

Gizmo

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Are there any benefits from using the Tesla charger?

I was all set to get the Tesla charger but just this week I have come across the zappi which apparently is the only charger that can charge the car purely from PV or wind turbine (without drawing power from the grid or battery storage)

Any thoughts?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Are there any benefits from using the Tesla charger?

I was all set to get the Tesla charger but just this week I have come across the zappi which apparently is the only charger that can charge the car purely from PV or wind turbine (without drawing power from the grid or battery storage)

Any thoughts?

Tesla gives you the mobile connector for free, so from my vantage point there was no need for anything in excess of the Nema 14-50.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
If you haven't finalized the deal, you may want to consider the HPWC for your situation.

The reason I bring it up is that the NEMA-14-50 requires a neutral wire. The HPWC only needs the two hots and the ground.
With that long of a run, dropping one major conductor may end up paying for the HPWC. (Or a big portion of it.)
This may also allow electricians to run smaller conduit for the same size conductors.

I'd ask the electricians for two quotes, one for a NEMA 14-50, and another to install a 50 amp or 60 amp appliance that doesn't require a neutral. (or 80 amp, or 100 amp.. :) It's up to you, the HPWC will allow you to put it on whatever circuit you want. )

Another thought, if you are paying that much, a major cost of the labor is running the conduit. You could ask them how much to over-size the conduit to allow for a 100 amp feed to the garage (for a later sub panel). It'll add a bit tot he current cost, but allow a LOT more future flexibility. If they ran a 100 amp sub panel into the garage, then you could drop a 50 amp NEMA 14-50, or two HPWC, or ....

Ok, sorry, I have a tendency to upsell myself. If I keep going, you'll end up with a whole new feed from the street to that side of the garage. :)

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
If you haven't finalized the deal, you may want to consider the HPWC for your situation.

The reason I bring it up is that the NEMA-14-50 requires a neutral wire. The HPWC only needs the two hots and the ground.
With that long of a run, dropping one major conductor may end up paying for the HPWC. (Or a big portion of it.)
This may also allow electricians to run smaller conduit for the same size conductors.

I'd ask the electricians for two quotes, one for a NEMA 14-50, and another to install a 50 amp or 60 amp appliance that doesn't require a neutral. (or 80 amp, or 100 amp.. :) It's up to you, the HPWC will allow you to put it on whatever circuit you want. )

Another thought, if you are paying that much, a major cost of the labor is running the conduit. You could ask them how much to over-size the conduit to allow for a 100 amp feed to the garage (for a later sub panel). It'll add a bit tot he current cost, but allow a LOT more future flexibility. If they ran a 100 amp sub panel into the garage, then you could drop a 50 amp NEMA 14-50, or two HPWC, or ....

Ok, sorry, I have a tendency to upsell myself. If I keep going, you'll end up with a whole new feed from the street to that side of the garage. :)
I never thanked you for your post. I think for now I have decided to go with a standard NEMA 14-50 since I'll be charging through the week at work. I just want the plug in case I need to charge rapidly at home for some strange reason.

It's official. My charging plug is getting installed at the end of this month. I am not entirely sure if Tesla will get me my car in my Dec-Feb window but I'll be ready on my end. This has been a painful decision for me. Part of my practical side is making me want to just get a new vehicle that can tow because I'll be getting rid of my truck. It doesn't help I have been using it more often lately. I guess I can borrow someone's truck if I need one because I'll have a sweet Model 3 they could use when I borrow it :)

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I never thanked you for your post. I think for now I have decided to go with a standard NEMA 14-50 since I'll be charging through the week at work. I just want the plug in case I need to charge rapidly at home for some strange reason.

It's official. My charging plug is getting installed at the end of this month. I am not entirely sure if Tesla will get me my car in my Dec-Feb window but I'll be ready on my end. This has been a painful decision for me. Part of my practical side is making me want to just get a new vehicle that can tow because I'll be getting rid of my truck. It doesn't help I have been using it more often lately. I guess I can borrow someone's truck if I need one because I'll have a sweet Model 3 they could use when I borrow it :)
Completely understand. I'm in the same Dec to Feb delivery window a you. Not a current owner, reserved in store early on 3/31, also in Texas (Fort Worth). Here's hoping we do get our new toys soon.
Also, if you ever do need a truck, I've had good luck renting the Home Depot one for short needs.
Honestly, I wish they offered a small hitch option for the 3. All I really need is to pull a small utility trailer on occasion.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Completely understand. I'm in the same Dec to Feb delivery window a you. Not a current owner, reserved in store early on 3/31, also in Texas (Fort Worth). Here's hoping we do get our new toys soon.
Also, if you ever do need a truck, I've had good luck renting the Home Depot one for short needs.
Honestly, I wish they offered a small hitch option for the 3. All I really need is to pull a small utility trailer on occasion.
Thanks for the Home Depot recommendation. My boss also mentioned it. Also apparently they will have an Ecohitch for the 3. I am wondering if that will really be able to tow a utility trailer. I just need it mainly for dump runs. Both my neighbors have trailers they loan to me on occasion and they are pretty tiny.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I did it myself for $50. It’s not that difficult
Thanks but I cannot even buy the materials for that. The plug and breaker alone is about $50. That isn’t including wiring. Plus I am banned from the attic by my wife since I fell through the ceiling of our old house 16’ to the steps and had a fun ambulance ride to the ER.