Issues with Model 3 range estimates.

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

NYer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I charged my very new Model 3 over night, resulting in a range of 279 miles before I drove away from home. After driving 53 miles, the Model 3 showed that I had 190 miles of range remaining, vs. the 226 miles I would have expected. Should I be concerned? I wasn't driving aggressively.

20181211_090723-jpg.18994

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I charged my very new Model 3 over night, resulting in a range of 279 miles before I drove away from home. After driving 53 miles, the Model 3 showed that I had 190 miles of range remaining, vs. the 226 miles I would have expected. Should I be concerned? I wasn't driving aggressively.
how fast were you driving?
what was the weather?
where you going up hill, down hill, flat?
was there wind?
what is the air pressure in your tires?
how much slowing & speeding up did you do?
what was the pavement?
what did you have the hvac set to?
what model do you have?
there are so many various variables that go into the range, it is hard to say what reduced your efficiency.

NYer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello Melinda,

Normal speed on highway - 60-70 mph. Weather was cool and very foggy, in the 40-55F range. Mostly flat, some hills, but small percentage of the drive. No wind. Air pressure is normal in the 39-40 psi range. Not much slowing/acceleration. HVac was on ~ 5 for the fan and ~68F for temp was essentially what the car was at at the beginning.

It's a Model 3.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
It is normal to get less than the rated miles displayed and is one of the first shocks I experienced as a new Tesla owner. However, your Wh/mile and rated range per actual mile do seem on the higher than expected side. Sounds like your tire pressure is a bit low. At least 42 psi is recommended for all configurations, I believe. I understand that the door sticker recommendation used to be 44 psi.

NYer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Great point Bigriver. Just checked the owners manual and for 19" Continental's, it recommends 42 psi. Didn't realize that I had an issue given that the Model 3 gave me an all clear on pressures - guess they hadn't fallen low enough to trigger an alert. I'll pump them up and monitor range and efficiency again.

Thanks!

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
RWD, AWD or Performance? the RWD does do better on efficiency than the dual motor models.

The tire pressure should be a little higher (45lbs before driving)

Try to inflate them a little more and do the same drive with the HVAC off and staying under 60mph. You likely will see your Wh/mile well under 300

wst88

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would very much prefer if Tesla showed the Range based on our driving habits not some fictitious rating that you can never achieve in the winter.
My volt used to show 29 Miles in the winter and 46 miles in the Summer. Gave you a much better idea of what to plan for.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would very much prefer if Tesla showed the Range based on our driving habits not some fictitious rating that you can never achieve in the winter.
My volt used to show 29 Miles in the winter and 46 miles in the Summer. Gave you a much better idea of what to plan for.
the range/efficiency graph does show your projected range based on your current driving style.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Yes, I understand that sentiment and initially felt the same way. But then I suddenly realized that this isn’t the equivalent of the miles to empty information on most cars, but is the equivalent of the gas gauge. I have found that I like it much better when I switched the display to the % state of charge rather than rated mile.

Sealander

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The EPA estimated range of 310 miles on a full charge is based upon the battery capacity of approx. 78 Kw/310 mi or about 250 Wh/mi.
Your post shows you were averaging 374 Wh/mi over 53 miles which is really high. Many factors contribute to high energy consumption as mentioned above.
Same as getting poor gas mileage in a gas car. I have seen heating the cabin when the ambient temp is low push mine to over 300 Wh/mi.
When I turned the HVAC system off and the seat heaters on it dropped back down to about 260 Wh/mi.
The best solution in that case if you are trying to get maximum range is to slow down and the Wh/mi. will drop accordingly.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Normal speed on highway - 60-70 mph.
If you have an AWD car, 70mph will knock you down from 310 miles of range to 268 miles of range.
I suggest going into setting and change the battery display from "range" to "energy". That way it'll show you a percent of battery remaining instead of this inaccurate miles estimate.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
With the name "Red Rocket" I'm guessing it might be a P3D? Even though all Model 3 variants are rated at the same 310-mile range the AWD models and models without the Aero wheels have less range. Our P3D has noticeably less range than our LR (but I expected a car that can go 0-60 mph in less than 3.5 seconds probably wouldn't be as efficient).

My first shocker upon delivery of our Long-Range Model 3 with Aero wheels was how darn easy it was to get considerably better than the rated range. But I run 45 psi and am naturally an efficient driver. Most people don't get the EPA MPG rating of their vehicles in the summer and in the winter it's even worse!

babula

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Start looking at the chart view before driving, that will give you a real estimate.

Personally, I've noticed that running the AC or heat takes up a ton of energy.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Start looking at the chart view before driving, that will give you a real estimate.

Personally, I've noticed that running the AC or heat takes up a ton of energy.
Hmmm, A/C doesn't seem too hungry for your range. The heat, yep, that eats into it pretty fast if you have it on with a strong fan. Fortunately, with over 300 miles of rated range (or even 260), most people have plenty to play with unless traveling long-distance. Even then, the distance between Superchargers seems to takes that into account pretty well.

Bibs

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
with over 300 miles of rated range (or even 260), most people have plenty to play with unless traveling long-distance.
I've been in the habit of paying minimal attention to drops or changes in range for daily short driving, simply because there are so many other variables at play (battery temp, vampire drain, stop and go travel, etc).

When I drive long distances in one stretch, I've found the range estimate to be very closely matched to the energy chart app. Certainly close enough to be comfortable pulling into a SC with 10% or less.

NYer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
AWD. Good suggestions.

RWD, AWD or Performance? the RWD does do better on efficiency than the dual motor models.

The tire pressure should be a little higher (45lbs before driving)

Try to inflate them a little more and do the same drive with the HVAC off and staying under 60mph. You likely will see your Wh/mile well under 300

SoCalWine

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's most likely due to the heater. You indicated that is was a cool day and the climate control was set to 68 degrees. The heater is a huge power consumer. You would be better off turning the temp down or off and using your seat warmers which are far more efficient.

NYer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The EPA estimated range of 310 miles on a full charge is based upon the battery capacity of approx. 78 Kw/310 mi or about 250 Wh/mi.
Your post shows you were averaging 374 Wh/mi over 53 miles which is really high. Many factors contribute to high energy consumption as mentioned above.
Same as getting poor gas mileage in a gas car. I have seen heating the cabin when the ambient temp is low push mine to over 300 Wh/mi.
When I turned the HVAC system off and the seat heaters on it dropped back down to about 260 Wh/mi.
The best solution in that case if you are trying to get maximum range is to slow down and the Wh/mi. will drop accordingly.

Great feedback. Appreciated. Yes, I need to inflate my tires and bit and shoot for 250 Wh/mile as a target. Thanks.