Is this how your front wheel well looks?

CleanEV

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Attached are two pictures of front wheel wells where there seems to be large open spaces. My concern is about rain and snow getting in. Have you checked and how does yours look?

upload_2018-7-25_19-37-15-jpeg.12119
upload_2018-7-25_19-37-48-jpeg.12120

CleanEV

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I fat fingered the subject and cannot seem to find a way to correct it. Sorry - I meant to say “Is this how....”

@garsh - you’re a moderator, can you please fix the subject line?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Fixed the title (yes I'm boring) and will check my wheel well in the morning :)

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Attached are two pictures of front wheel wells where there seems to be large open spaces. My concern is about rain and snow getting in. Have you checked and how does yours look?

View attachment 12119 View attachment 12120
On a more serious note, I assume you're talking about the square-shaped opening below and behind the control arm mount?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I believe I see the other side of those openings right at the beginning of Ingineer's "frunk exploration" video:

I can't think of any reason why you'd want some holes there during normal operation. They're probably useful during assembly/disassembly. Does anybody have ideas for how to effectively block them off?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Mike, what do you make of these openings?
Is it something worth covering to keep water out of the under-frunk area?

Whos’ TM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Mike, what do you make of these openings?
Is it something worth covering to keep water out of the under-frunk area?
Trying to seal the two squares on either side of the wheel wells is no use since the entire bottom side of the frunk is completely exposed to the elements.

img_1159-jpg.12475
img_1163-jpg.12476
img_1165-jpg.12477

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Trying to seal the two squares on either side of the wheel wells is no use since the entire bottom side of the frunk is completely exposed to the elements.
It's not water-tight, but the bottom of the frunk is not exposed. There is a plastic covering down there.

Whos’ TM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Forgot about the cover underneath but that cover won’t really stop water from getting in and there is still openings where the steering rack connects to the front wheels. The frunk tub is exactly what it is, a tub with no other seal to make it water tight besides the seals around edges on the top.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Forgot about the cover underneath but that cover won’t really stop water from getting in
I agree.
And the front is going to be open to allow air to the radiators.

But I would still consider blocking those openings in the wheel well. Why let salt water intrude in more locations than necessary? But there might be a good reason for them to exist.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I wouldn't be worried about rain (it'll just drain out), but that is a rather concerning regarding snow. Thank Hisbhiw I'm planning to elevate my Model 3 in the winter!

My Insight has an underpanel and in the winter, snow always finds a way to work its way into it. And once it does, it builds up more and more, bulging more and more and putting increasing pressure on the bolts that hold it on. Which just makes snow ingress easier and easier.... if it gets bad enough, the bolts rip through the plastic and the front end of the panel drags along the ground, turning the car into a snow plow.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My Insight has an underpanel and in the winter, snow always finds a way to work its way into it. And once it does, it builds up more and more, bulging more and more and putting increasing pressure on the bolts that hold it on. Which just makes snow ingress easier and easier.... if it gets bad enough, the bolts rip through the plastic and the front end of the panel drags along the ground, turning the car into a snow plow.
Ouch.

Having a (semi-heated) garage prevents that particular issue for me.

RIP_OPEC

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yikes! That's a little bit more exposure than what I'm comfortable with in this area.
It's definitely rain-proof. Teslas will actually float and function as a boat for periods of time (confirmed by Elon). I watched videos where a Model S easily swam through a heavily flooded tunnel, and another video where a Model S was left almost completely submerged for over a week and the electronics worked flawlessly. Tesla puts the "offroad" ICEs to shame - S/3/X could probably all swim across the ocean for a while, while a Jeep has to drive as slow as possible to prevent its dinosaur engine from going extinct in a small puddle.