Is the UK going electric?

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
It would sure looks like it at the light of this article...

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As it happens, I'm visiting the the UK this week... Four days in London followed by four days up north near Bradford. (That's right, we are staying far, FAR away from the Royal Wedding! :D)

It's been 18 years (!) since I was last here, and I've very surprised at the number of EVs that I've seen rolling through London (not to mention 3rd-generation Priuses, many of which have tricked-out rims for some reason). The number of second-generation Nissan Leafs that I've seen here is at least 4x the number I've run into back in Boston, and we spotted our first Tesla (a Model X) within minutes of emerging from the Tube. It's a far cry from the endless sea of VW Polos and various smoke-spewing Mercedes vans that I remembered from my last visit.

Yes, I realize that a lot of this change is due to generous tax incentives for EVs, FCVs and hybrids, as well as an exemption from the congestion charge... but coming from the U.S., where living in an environmentally progressive state* merely means your local government accepts climate change as scientific fact ( :tearsofjoy:) and *may* have enacted a token policy or two to help combat it, it's encouraging to see what's possible when national and local governments decide to jump right into the deep end.

* Other than California, which seems to be 5 to 10 years ahead of the others.

And environmental benefits aside, there's the "butts in seats" factor: the more people that can be given a reason to at least try an EV, the more common the experience of driving electric -- instant torque, silent operation, etc. -- will become, the more people will talk about it, and the more open-minded people will become to the idea that their next vehicle could be an EV.

Jayc

Country
Country
Hope you enjoy your stay. London certainly is buzzing with EVs, a fair number of those are Tesla's. I think UK is already in the top 3 in European Model S sales figures so it is looking good.

Perhaps the next time you visit, there will be loads of Model 3s around. When we start seeing cars here, might try organise a few meetups.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hope you enjoy your stay. London certainly is buzzing with EVs, a fair number of those are Tesla's. I think UK is already in the top 3 in European Model S sales figures so it is looking good.

Perhaps the next time you visit, there will be loads of Model 3s around. When we start seeing cars here, might try organise a few meetups.
Thanks!

We definitely saw a few Teslas today... While everyone else on our tour bus was taking in the sights and sounds of Piccadilly Circus, I was the idiot leaning over the edge to snap a picture of a random Model S. :)

20180514_161147.jpg

I completely agree about the Model 3 doing well here... Seems to be plenty of petrol/diesel cars here right around that price point, ready for replacement.