Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is it still possible to buy FSD for Model 3 off the menu now?

9K views 44 replies 13 participants last post by  Buju 
#1 · (Edited)
I know Elon's tweet said that it is still available one week after they removed it form the website. But is it still available to purchase it now off the menu before delivery? Because I do know that I will definitely buy it once it come out. So I don't want to pay the extra fee for after delivery.

And yes, I know that there are no features for FSD yet. But I'm totally optimistic and forward looking in the neural network technology ;)

EDIT:
Yes, it is still possible (as of 4th January 2019)! Simply reply to your order confirmation email you have received. Email address should be BuildMy3EMEA@tesla.com

Following 6 countries have been confirmed to work:
* Austria 3200 EUR
* France 3200 EUR
* Finland 3300 EUR
* Germany 3100 EUR
* Netherlands 3200 EUR
* Norway 25100 NOK
* US $3000

Reactions: Cowby
#2 · (Edited)
Yes. I just added it to a new MR order yesterday. Once you place the order, you will get an email from Tesla and you can just respond to that email and ask them to add it. The person who took care of it for me was my "Inside Delivery Advisor" (not the initial contact who just dealt with scheduling the pickup). After I emailed her, she said she would request that it be added to my order and it showed up on my account a few hours later.

#3 ·
nice, good to hear! thanks 4 the info. how much does it cost now?

#7 ·
Ok so, I called Tesla Austria today and they said that I can not order the FSD now for the Model 3 at the moment. It will come at some point in future (yes I knew that ...), but just not now. And also the Austrian government needs to approve full self driving features first. And he also couldn't give me a price.

what a bummer :(

#8 ·
Don't give up Buju! Like yourself I wanted to get the FSD option. I wanted it mainly to show support for its development, but when I called Tesla they said it couldn't be added.

However after seeing this post and EinSV confirmation that it can still be ordered off-menu in the US, I sent an email instead linking to this post. Just two days after I got the confirmation that it was added to my Model 3 reservation for 25100 NOK (Thats a very favorable 8.37 NOK per USD exchange rate given the weak Norwegian kroner these days)
So it is possible to add here in Europe as well, I just think some of the sales people aren't aware of it.

Best of luck! And thanks to you both for making and responding to this thread :)

#10 ·
cool thanks for reporting. It is still not possible for me, but I'll keep trying. I want to support Tesla in their effort for full self driving technology! ;)

Reactions: FredW and MelindaV
#12 ·
So, I bought FSD, the short version is this ... if it ever works it is worth far more than 3k. if it never works, someone will sue and I will get a check. That said

what is the decision tree for buying it now?

Some facts

1, no longer available...
2, 2.5 system is NOT robust enough to support FSD
3, 2.5 system may NOT be robust enough to support EAP
4, company has stated will upgrade hardware to 3.0 for FSD purchasers for free

Other bits, interesting interview about Tesla Neural net from a guy that hacked the system laid out the math for why Stop signs, Speed signs recognition of stop lights is a bandwidth problem for 2.5 so that it is not possible to fully implement EAP on that platform. He could be Full of sh-t but also successfully hacked the system (whereas I ...)

So given that...

BUY if you believe that Tesla is NOT going to replace the 2.5 CPU for free and you think the value of the 3.0 CPU is greater than 3k... you really should buy FSD by whatever means.

Do not buy if you believe that Tesla will have to replace ALL 2.5 CPUs for free because full EAP is not possible on the current hardware.

#17 ·
Do not buy if you believe that Tesla will have to replace ALL 2.5 CPUs for free because full EAP is not possible on the current hardware.
I am not aware of anything that defines how far EAP will go. Are there any specific commitments on what will get added to EAP? I don't believe they made any offers to upgrade 1.0 or 2.0, so I'm not seeing any chance they would upgrade 2.5 for free.

Reactions: Deadbattery
#13 ·
I’m going to wait for the rave reviews of HW 3 and then order an upgrade. There are enough people who have already purchased it that we should be getting some good feedback in the forums pretty quickly after it is released. I imagine there will be supply chain constraints right after the board is released so the wait time may be on ElonTime.

#20 ·
Called this morning. At first they told me "you can edit your order online" then I explained "no, no FSD off menu blahblahblah" and then they said "oh, I see, if you've sent the mail you just have to wait until they process it.

But maybe you'll hear something different.

Let me know.

Reactions: Kizzy
G
#21 ·
I just called Tesla The Netherlands for adding. The Dutch sales advisor told me it is not possible to add it to the configuration due to Dutch law. He was very surprised it was available in France. But than he said: "I just don't know". When Dutch law allows FSD I will be notified at once. Then I asked about the price. I only can buy it at the time it is allowed and then I have to pay the After Delivery price. I think that pricing policy of Tesla is unfair, more over because I express interest for FSD before delivery in the configuration possibility time.

Can someone Twitter Elon about this and ask him to consider a fair price in this situation?

#22 ·
I just called Tesla The Netherlands for adding. The Dutch sales advisor told me it is not possible to add it to the configuration due to Dutch law. He was very surprised it was available in France. But than he said: "I just don't know". When Dutch law allows FSD I will be notified at once. Then I asked about the price. I only can buy it at the time it is allowed and then I have to pay the After Delivery price. I think that pricing policy of Tesla is unfair, more over because I express interest for FSD before delivery in the configuration possibility time.

Can someone Twitter Elon about this and ask him to consider a fair price in this situation?
I wouldn't listen to them, just send the e-mail as others have done. It should work this way.

Reactions: iChris93
G
#28 · (Edited)
FSD Update from The Netherlands and for the Dutch members.
An hour ago I got called by Tesla The Netherlands. The employee asked me about my interest in FSD and added that it could be 3 months or maybe 5 years when FSD is allowed in the Netherlands.
The employee said it is possible to buy the option now, but only gets added to the car when it is legally allowed. I told the employee I am interested and that I want to pay for it now and get it after the car is delivered. Price is € 3200.
The employee asked me to confirm this in writing to his/hers personal email address at Tesla. So I did and I am now awaiting confirmation of receiving the email.
So in The Netherlands it is possible to buy FSD off menu by replying the order agreement. But when you get the feature really is still unknown.

#29 ·
Same thing in Finland, pricing was at 3300€ and I was told that "the feature is ready now, but the local legislator will be the next hurdle" which is pretty much the same thing that you've got from Tesla NL. If with HW3 that would be the case I'd be amazed, but I'm not holding my breath.

#33 ·
Confirmed on my order : FSD still possible as of January 4 2019. Just have to reply to your order mail and ask for it.
Congratulations you both! I still didn't receive any answer from Tesla.

But I've updated my original first post stating it is indeed still possible and listed all 6 currently confirmed countries ;)

Reactions: iChris93
#36 ·
I sent Tesla an e-mail a couple of days ago to add FSD to my Model 3 order.
They confirmed that I could, but this was also in the reply I got:

Tesla Inside Sales Advisor said:
Before I take your order for the FSD I would like to point out that the legal aspect of Full Self Driving is very far away. Especially in Europe, the USA might be closer to getting it legalized. So even when we have the hardware ready, and your car would have it, you would most likely not be able to use it for a very long time. Maybe even years.

#37 ·
Yeah I'm not surprised.

But I do think some features will gradually be enabled like sign recognition, signal lights detection, roundabouts, etc.
And this will be allowed.

But to each his own, I'm ready for it to be useless for years, but it it proves useful, I don't want to regret paying it only 3200€ today vs. way more later.

Reactions: Buju
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.