Is it possible to get the autonomous cruise control without the rest of the autopilot?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I did the free trial and only found the intelligent cruise control option useful. Even my father-in-laws Ioniq came with it, so any chance Tesla will or does allow it as a stand alone option?

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Traffic Aware Cruise Control (TACC) is part of the Enhanced Autopilot (EAP) suite only so you won’t be able to get it as a stand-alone

Last edited:

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
He doesn’t want to pay $5500 for just TACC. Remember the other thread I had mentioned wishing TACC was part of PUP instead of EAP?
so the issue is not wanting TACC by itself, but wanting EAP (with TACC) for less than the offered price.

IMO, TACC alone is worth the price of EAP and would not want a Tesla without it.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My guess (from a software developer perspective) is that Tesla designed Autopilot as a complete software package, and TACC was just a consequence of it. I would then guess that separating the two would take hundreds of hours more development and safety testing to make sure something from AP that was cut out doesn't compromise safety, and that the extra code to separate the two doesn't also break AP.

In short, I would guess that standalone TACC would end up costing more than autopilot to justify the time put in to separate it from AP, which is why it doesn't exist.

And even if that's at least partly incorrect, I believe that the existence of standalone TACC runs counter to Tesla's mission, and the plan is to eventually have Autopilot standard on all models, and Full Self Drive would be the optional package. (Disclaimer: No I don't have any inside info, that just seems like a logical conclusion.)

Would I like to have TACC by itself? Of course, but I understand why it's not there. I believe it's more likely that Tesla would reduce the price of Autopilot drastically to increase adoption than separate TACC, because that's what they'd rather people use.

Last edited:

SyncUp

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If Traffic Aware Cruise Control were offered as a standalone option, I would definitely purchase it. Tesla are you reading this? (I have a feeling there would be lots of Model 3 customers who would purchase TACC separately, if it were offered.)

I tried out Enhanced Auto Pilot during the 30-day trial period after I took delivery of my car, and ultimately decided I did not want EAP. However, I kept thinking to myself during that time: "If only I could buy Traffic Aware Cruise Control by itself and not part of the EAP package, that would be awesome."

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If Traffic Aware Cruise Control were offered as a standalone option, I would definitely purchase it. Tesla are you reading this? (I have a feeling there would be lots of Model 3 customers who would purchase TACC separately, if it were offered.)
but to @JasonF's point, would you purchase TACC as a stand-alone if it were at a premium over EAP?

SyncUp

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
but to @JasonF's point, would you purchase TACC as a stand-alone if it were at a premium over EAP?
Looks like @JasonF posted his reply 2 minutes before mine (which I didn't see prior to posting my reply). But to answer your question... absolutely not, I would never pay a premium price over EAP to get TACC. I'd probably be willing to pay a max of about $2K for a standalone TACC option like @Johnston mentioned.

HeavyPedal

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wow, I"m amazed by some of the responses here. The OP is hardly the first current or prospective owner to ask if would be possible to buy TACC without paying for the entire EAP package. Although the answer is currently no, it's hardly an unreasonable question.

A great many people are coming from cars with some form of adaptive cruise control, and find the 'dumb' cruise control that comes standard without EAP completely worthless. It isn't (or shouldn't be) hard to understand why someone might want TACC and NOT want AutoSteer or Navigate on Autopilot, or why they would prefer to pay less for buying a more limited feature set.

Frankly, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see such an option offered at some point down the road. I also wouldn't be surprised if that never happens. We're talking about Tesla, for goodness sakes. The rules don't apply here.

Toadmanor

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I purchased EAP because i wanted TACC. I have had this on many cars and I am a committed cruise control driver. The adaptive cruise feature is one I dearly love.

ASIDE: Does a model 3 without EAP have standard cruise? (Cruse control without adaptive or Traffic aware feature).