Iowa Area

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

ATown312

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Sure is nice to see some better efficiency numbers with the slightly warmer temperatures recently! I started Teslafi in January so this isn't a huge data set by any means, but so far it's a noticeable difference when above the freezing mark.

PS - Glad I drove in that polar vortex we experienced to capture the -15F to -20F range lol (and that's real air temperature, not factoring wind chill).

1553025685191-png.23526

thredge

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
LOl, what to do when your family feels like Hickory Park burgers and ice cream for supper on Sunday afternoon, but you live 90 minutes away?

Take the car that will do most of the driving for you!

Mmm, Hickory Park! 😋

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
LOl, what to do when your family feels like Hickory Park burgers and ice cream for supper on Sunday afternoon, but you live 90 minutes away?

Take the car that will do most of the driving for you!

Mmm, Hickory Park! 😋
What is this place you speak of so saintly? Well crap, now my curiosity is piqued... and even though I literally just ate (and ate too much), I’m debating this 2hr 51min drive!!! (Ok, not really...but someday)

thredge

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
What is this place you speak of so saintly? Well crap, now my curiosity is piqued... and even though I literally just ate (and ate too much), I’m debating this 2hr 51min drive!!! (Ok, not really...but someday)
LOL, not sure it’s worth that much of a trip. It was something fun to do just because we could though.

I’m sure some others will jump in, but it’s a popular place in Ames where I may have attended college. Definitely worth hitting if in the area. Always busy, so much so way back when they were forced to build a much larger building and they are still busy all the time.

Don’t try to go on game days or other in town events that draw crowds. Takes forever to get in on those days.

Others have recommended Jethro’s BBQ across the street, if Hickorey Park is busy, but I’m not in the know on them.

I’d also recommend Great Plaines Sauce & Dough pizza company.

Unfortunately the charging situation there in town absolutly sucks. The City made an attempt, but they only put in 6.6kW chargers, and charge $2 an hour. That’s like maybe 10 miles in a half an hour. Others have said that is typical DC fast charging rates. I was just able to do the round trip with no charge in 40deg weather. Bit of a headwind on the way there.

ATown312

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Wondering if/when our IA V2 superchargers will be upgraded to the higher 145 kW rate. If anyone notices speeds over 120 kW, please do share!

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Unreal! I’m sitting at the eye doctors in the waiting room and this BS commercial comes on for “Iowa solar fix” ...which outright lies (mostly by way of half truths and not giving the full picture) to get people to believe people with solar make those without it pay MORE. Here is there BS website, if you want to check it out. I’ll provide a screen shot tho so you don’t have to visit. This right here is enough.
e55c589b-3967-4a3a-b8eb-e45f9408aeac-png.24293

Source of the BS

Sickening. Unreal. Their BS law has apparently already passed the Iowa senate. It seems that many think the local energy company is behind this push for this new bill too. They say it’ll make things “fair.” WTF

More info

Des Moines register article

Will reply more later... just got called back for my appointment.

EDIT: Cleaned up links and language

Last edited:

thredge

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Wondering if/when our IA V2 superchargers will be upgraded to the higher 145 kW rate. If anyone notices speeds over 120 kW, please do share!
I have been wanting to start a thread on this. Looking at our network, I think the lack of superchargers in our area is going to severely limit the uptake on Tesla's in our area. I've been playing around with taking some trips, and darn if our chargers are too spread out and inconvenient for travel within the state. For those flying through, they could probably care less of the route they take, but we need a whole lot more chargers in the state to make these new fangled cars viable round these parts.

Not I just have to work out how we put that bug in Tesla's ear that we need a little more TLC around here.

I mean common, there are a bunch of us trying to take this first step and get some Tesla's in the area. Tesla needs to get in gear on the following step to get more chargers. Just an FYI, people around my work place ask about it all the time. Then they ask about the charging and they get to give that, "Yep it's not ready yet, should have stuck with gas, silly wabbit," response that you could see them just holding onto, hoping they can hold their superior intellect over me.

LOL, if they only knew how worth it, it all is. They are so missing out.

So, the only thing holding these cars back around here is really the charging network being damn inconvenient and sparse.

thredge

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Unreal! I’m sitting at the eye doctors in the waiting room and this HORSE SH!T commercial comes on for “Iowa solar fix” ...which outright lies to get people to believe people with solar make those without it pay MORE. Here is there BS website, if you want to check it out. I’ll provide a screen shot tho so you don’t have to visit. This right here is enough.
View attachment 24293
https://realcoalitionia.org/take-action/

Sickening. Unreal. Their BS law has apparently already passed the Iowa senate. It seems that many think the local energy company is behind this push for this new bill too. They say it’ll make things “fair.” WTF
https://littlevillagemag.com/dark-money-group-steps-up-support-for-new-fee-on-solar-panels/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.desmoinesregister.com/amp/3027040002

Will reply more later... just got called back for my appointment.
Unfortunately with the current group in power at the State, I don't know that we have much chance of keeping this from passing, since the donations from the utilities are talking loud and clear. Also, where I'm at, I have representatives that are on the other side of the issue, so I'll send my emails, but usually I just get back from them that they agree and are working against it.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Ugh. They’re using such misleading rhetoric. “People with solar shift costs to people without solar” which implies someone without solar will see an increase in their electric bill when someone else installs solar. It doesn’t work that way. Your bill doesn’t change just because I installed a solar system.

I get the argument that the cost of grid maintenance is paid by revenue from customers buying electricity, and if you’re not buying electricity due to solar then you’re not contributing to that maintenance cost but still “using” the grid.

My counter to that is someone with solar is not “using” the grid in the same way that someone without solar does. During the day when overall electric use is at its peak, most solar systems are feeding energy back into the grid, as opposed to non-solar customers who are loading the grid the most at peak times. Since power plants and the major transmission lines must be sized to meet peak demand to avoid blackouts, if there were no solar systems contributing energy locally at these peak times then the utilities would have to spend more money on generation and transmission.

ATown312

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have been wanting to start a thread on this. Looking at our network, I think the lack of superchargers in our area is going to severely limit the uptake on Tesla's in our area. I've been playing around with taking some trips, and darn if our chargers are too spread out and inconvenient for travel within the state. For those flying through, they could probably care less of the route they take, but we need a whole lot more chargers in the state to make these new fangled cars viable round these parts.

Not I just have to work out how we put that bug in Tesla's ear that we need a little more TLC around here.

I mean common, there are a bunch of us trying to take this first step and get some Tesla's in the area. Tesla needs to get in gear on the following step to get more chargers. Just an FYI, people around my work place ask about it all the time. Then they ask about the charging and they get to give that, "Yep it's not ready yet, should have stuck with gas, silly wabbit," response that you could see them just holding onto, hoping they can hold their superior intellect over me.

LOL, if they only knew how worth it, it all is. They are so missing out.

So, the only thing holding these cars back around here is really the charging network being damn inconvenient and sparse.
Yep, I get the frustration. Though I'd say part of the problem has been our state's hostility to direct car sales, which is Tesla's exact business model. Until that changes, I'm afraid our supercharging network will remain largely what it is today... merely enough to enable pass-through interstate traffic.

dburkland

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It is limited in software on the cars as confirmed by those who have the beta 2019.7.11 release. Here’s to hoping the next GA update that comes out has the geo-based preheating and uncorked v2 supercharging code in it!

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
This all comes down to one thing. Money.

MidAmerican (and others) see the LONG term writing on the wall and the ONLY negative thing that could happen is THEIR PROFITS going down, NOTHING ELSE. Mid-American made $605 MILLION dollars in profit in 2018 per my Source. Let me take the quote from this "REAL" advocacy group (that is so mysterious with where it gets it's funding you can't even find out). Dark money, indeed... looking at you with a serious side eye MidAmerican

When someone puts up solar panels in Iowa, they are allowed to use taxpayer-funded benefits worth up to 50% of their cost.
True, they're allowed to use incentives as a way to get people to adopt/move to this renewable form of energy and to encourage small business in the solar realm to start up/grow in the state of Iowa.

However, solar panel users still need to use the local power grid much more than a normal consumer.
The additional use of the local power grid is a half truth. A solar customer will use the grid more if they produce more energy than the home needs. Thus, if they ARE using the grid more, they are BENEFITING MidAmerican. "Customers with solar panels who generate electricity for the grid during peak hours get a credit of 10.5 cents per kilowatt-hour. Mid-American sells that electricity to its other customers for 21 cents per kilowatt-hour during peak hours." (Source). So they say the grid is used more, but conveniently leave out the part where they are PROFITING GREATLY off the extra energy produced by solar customer at ZERO expense to the company as they contributed ZERO to the customer install yet make other customers pay for that energy. Thanks to the sun, and solar customers in Iowa, MidAmerican is getting FREE MONEY and yet STILL went forward with this charade.

Right now, the cost to use that grid is shifted onto other customers like you, even if you don’t own solar panels.
My bill right now (without solar) has a grid maintenance line and cost associated with it. Every single bill I have dating back to as soon as I started keeping them has it. This is an outright lie that if you don't have solar, you pay more for those that do have it. We all pay into the grid.

If I have solar, I pay less in maintenance fees? NO
If I DON'T have solar, I pay more in maintenance fees? NO

So what is it? Above I show that MidAmerican already profits greatly off selling us energy, their job. They also profit greatly off of buying back solar energy and selling it at a huge markup instead of letting customers share with each other. The only conclusion that can be made is that if more people switch to solar, MidAmerican profits will go down, and that is something they can't have.
They make money off selling us energy. They make money off of buying and selling solar energy from customers. Now they want to make money by means of a "tariff" against those very same solar customers under the lie that they don't help support the grid.

Edit to add: They want this annual tariff to be equal to the amount they feel that a customer who has solar would have paid them for energy if they DIDN'T HAVE SOLAR. This bill effectively eliminates all future potential residential (and likely most commercial business owners) from even considering solar, allowing MidAmerican to maintain their stranglehold monopoly on this utility.

That’s not fair! Support for HF 669/SF 583 will fix the unfair, outdated solar energy policies in Iowa and ensure we can invest in renewable energy that benefits ALL consumers. This will not impact those who have already installed solar panels, only future installations.

Translation: Our business model that is hugely profitable has been threatened and shown that it could some day be completely unnecessary if all our customers learn the benefits of solar energy and make the switch. We've worked hand in hand with these paid for and bought lawmakers to draft this "FAIRNESS" bill to make sure that we maintain our profitability by robbing from those that have installed solar panels and put that cash in our pockets instead. MidAmerican is FOR THE PEOPLE (and profiting off the sun by means of your solar installation you paid for and we contributed $0 to)

End rant.

Edit to add BOLD area above.

Last edited:
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Edit to add: They want this annual tariff to be equal to the amount they feel that a customer who has solar would have paid them for energy if they DIDN'T HAVE SOLAR. This bill effectively eliminates all future potential residential (and likely most commercial business owners) from even considering solar, allowing MidAmerican to maintain their stranglehold monopoly on this utility.
This part right here is the most infuriating. If I replace all the light bulbs in my house with LED ones and power-hungry appliances with more efficient ones, should I have to continue paying what I would have paid before decreasing my energy use? Of course not, that would be asinine. But that is what they are asking for for solar users.

thredge

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
OK, on a happier note. Finally have some info for a Waterloo, IA drive electric event.
[Edit: links updated to be directly to events now that they are up.]

The Cedar Prairie Sierra Club will be hosting a Drive Electric Day, Sunday, April 28 at Single Speed in Waterloo, from 4 to 6 pm, with a movie in a room being provided by Single Speed.

I've been told the event has been added to the following sites, only just today 4/14, so some of them still may be in the confirmation process by the sites.
1. Cedar Valley Activate Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1275796459108635/
2. Drive Electric Earthday: https://driveelectricearthday.org/event.php?eventid=1880
3. Cedar Valley365: https://www.cedarvalley365.com/event/drive_electric_earthday#.XLvYu-hKj-g
4. Waterloo Courier Event Calendar https://wcfcourier.com/users/admin/calendar/event/

Hope some people are able to make it, Single Speed in Waterloo is a pretty nice establishment. It is an adaptive reuse of the old Wonderbread factory into a Brewery, and really came out great. My understanding from one of the Sierra Club members is that the police have provided blocked off parallel parking in front of the building for the EVs for the event. So should be really fun. This will be the first event I'll be attending since I got my Model 3.

Last edited:

crmatson

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I will be participating at the Des Moines event at the Botanical Center on Saturday, 4/20.
Please help spread the word!

When:
10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.

What:
Celebrate the sixth annual Downtown Earth Day Tour with the Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden, Iowa Rivers Revival, City of Des Moines and the Science Center of Iowa. Stop by the Science Center of Iowa (Special $5 admission) to visit City of Des Moines Naturalist Joel Van Roekel and plant some milkweed. FREE admission all day at the Botanical Garden is sponsored by Principal Financial Group. The Botanical Garden is open 10 a.m.-5 p.m.; activities run 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Enjoy a short walk or bike ride between these three locations and spend the day learning about environmentally friendly practices. Drop-in activities will be offered at each location.

https://driveelectricearthday.org/event.php?eventid=1839

crmatson

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3