Iowa Area

thredge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thought I'd start this thread, as haven't seen a lot of people from Iowa, just to say hi & let people know there are some us here in that state. I've got my order in, but not an owner yet. I'm in the NE Iowa area.

Will tag @Lovesword as he and I have touched base so he can post something, and maybe some others will wander in here over time.

So, on the local note, does anyone know of any local clubs or organizations in Iowa for EVs or Teslas? I know there are a few people around my area, and last year, someone got motivated to do a little EV day at the local Farmer's Market where there were a couple Model S's, a couple of Volts, and I think there might have been a Leaf too, but that wasn't really an organization or club, someone just got interested and found some people to make it happen.

List of Iowa Members: (will edit with updates)
@crmatson
@COOP3R
@danazhu
@F1shSkier
@listairee
@Vince8888
Iowa Member with Tesla's:
@ATown312
@Dabom
@deshtrip
@Ed Hill
@Lovesword
@LucyferSam
@mascardo
@rogershomework
@thredge
@yaheath
@ZeMaker

Last edited:

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Great idea @thredge, this could help us all connect like the Texas guys are doing. Perhaps even new visitors to this site from Iowa will find this thread.
I believe that @LucyferSam is also in Iowa, the first to get his 3 in this state that I know of. :)

thredge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hmm, OK, how about I start a list of users in the OP as well, um, well, just to start a list. :confused:

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Last edited:

LucyferSam

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yep, I'm in Ames, there was an electric car gathering at our Ecofair a few months back with another Model 3 from Iowa City there, but I don't know if he's on the forum.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello from Iowa City, I picked up my blue Model 3 from Chicago on June 16th. I've been over to Des Moines and back with it once, and expect I'll be making a few trips to Ames in the fall as my daughter goes to school in ISU.

I've heard there is another white model 3 in Iowa City, and I briefly saw a black one, but we also have a supercharger station in town, so it is tough to know if it was local or not.

LucyferSam

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello from Iowa City, I picked up my blue Model 3 from Chicago on June 16th. I've been over to Des Moines and back with it once, and expect I'll be making a few trips to Ames in the fall as my daughter goes to school in ISU.

I've heard there is another white model 3 in Iowa City, and I briefly saw a black one, but we also have a supercharger station in town, so it is tough to know if it was local or not.
The guy I met at our eco-fair from IC pretty sure had a a midnight silver car. I've used the supercharger there a couple of time, although its odd I've never been able to get more than 40 kW out of it - I assume living there you don't typically use that one to be able to tell me if that's normal?

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I'll be in Iowa City this weekend, planning on meeting with @thredge at the Super Charger sometime between 11 and noon. We haven't ironed out the exact time yet but we will, and I believe it will be within that window. I'll post here if it changes. I don't think he would mind me saying this here, and I certainly wouldn't mind if anyone wants to join us. He has an order in but has yet to be able to see the car in person so I think it'll be a fun, exciting experience.
I'll definitely give the SC a test ... even though I'm not quite sure I'll need it as it's only about 50ish miles for me (one way).

EDIT: I've seen a blue one that I know for sure is local as I talked with the owner... so that is cool. I have seen others at the SuperCharger (Davenport) but I assumed, like @LucyferSam commented, that these are out of town visitors charging up since it's so much cheaper/convenient to charge at home.

thredge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yep, I'm in Ames, there was an electric car gathering at our Ecofair a few months back with another Model 3 from Iowa City there, but I don't know if he's on the forum.
I have a friend that I believe made it to that fair that got to talk to that guy with the model 3 there a lot. He didn't tell me about it until it was over, otherwise I might have made the trip to check it out. It sounds like @LucyferSam hadn't taken his car there though.

Well, I'm getting more excited. I'll actually be down in the Des Moines area tomorrow during the day. But that would probably be rough for a quick meetup. I'm looking forward to meeting up with @Lovesword this weekend.

LucyferSam

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a friend that I believe made it to that fair that got to talk to that guy with the model 3 there a lot. He didn't tell me about it until it was over, otherwise I might have made the trip to check it out. It sounds like @LucyferSam hadn't taken his car there though.

Well, I'm getting more excited. I'll actually be down in the Des Moines area tomorrow during the day. But that would probably be rough for a quick meetup. I'm looking forward to meeting up with @Lovesword this weekend.
I did take my car over, just not until part way though as I didn't know the people organizing it. Just showed up and commented that my model 3 was sitting over in the city lot and they had me bring it in so we had 2 3s for people to look at! I have completely forgotten the name of the other 3 owner though because I'm terrible with names...

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Had a great, enjoyable time meeting up with @thredge today at the Iowa City supercharger! Next time we’ll have to plan more in advance and see about getting more people, that would be cool! We can even try and make our Texas family jealous, though it will take some effort.
Links to that with pics here ...super cool!
https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/dfw-model-3-meet-up.7292/page-6#post-124016

Anyway, I’ll share two things that I especially enjoyed, though the entire time was fun these stood out to me. First, Mr. Thredge has himself, on order, a white Model 3, so his first comment out of his parked car was “I made the right choice!” It was very cool to see his excitement level.
Secondly as he was driving I said “go ahead and give it a little” ...and he did, and his reaction to me was priceless. He reached up to his face and said “oh no...what have I done?”
Why is this priceless...well my friends, the speed of my LR RWD was plenty fast...and he said this because he has a P on order!!!! :eek:

He’s going to love it. And I’ll selfishly plug in this thread for another meet and greet post arrival of your car sir Thredge so that I might get to return the favor of nonstop smiles and excitement!

Have a great week!
d02a014d-2156-4834-a0f7-c07eed466221-jpeg.11560

Second pic because I wanted more of my car in the shot! ;)
a9c9c853-70b6-4fb1-95ed-8b36281493a3-jpeg.11559

thredge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I will definitely keep everyone posted on the progress of my order.

Trying to think of anything to really say about the car that would be helpful for anyone that hasn't gotten to be in one yet. One thing we discussed a little is that it's 'just' a car. People kind of talk about aspects of it like its a weird alien, but in the end, its a car that happens to be electric.

Sure everything is on the one screen, that isn't really as odd as people seem to think. I didn't go pouring through the menus like I've seen some people do, my focus was just more on the physical parts of the car. Without all the dials, switches, and knobs though, it is really simplistic and uncluttered for sure though.

Random Impressions:
  • pearl white multi-coat - everyone has their opinions, but turning the corner to see the white model 3 parked at the supercharger, it looked really great.
  • wood dash trim - is darker than I expected. A lot of pictures make it look really light. I think it was a good tone.
  • console compartments - I've seen lots of videos with people slamming them and they won't stay closed, like it's a problem. I found you really had to be rough with how hard you closed them to not get them to latch, so I've just lost all respect & credibility for any of those people. I see how ridiculous that is now. You can close them quite firmly without any issue of them not latching. It took more force than I expected to push them down and get them to open. That might be the problem for some of those people thinking they have to push them shut as hard as they had to push to open them.
  • door handles - were about what I thought they would be. They function, but think they are a little awkward. The problem I see is the part you have to push on is so far from where you have to grab it just isn't a gracefully operation. You are always going to be rubbing on the paint in the little V formed between the handle and the door too. If they had done the pivot a little different, with some kind of compound action, so when you pushed at the back, more of the handle pushed out, it might have helped, but I understand the reason, and flush door handles are pretty cool.
  • back seat - I'm a little worried on size as I'm coming from a slightly bigger car & have to do 2 car seats. Just hoping the kids have enough room to get into those easily. I'm 6'-2" and my head was right at the glass. I've seen bigger people get in there, and say it was OK. I could ride in there in a pinch, but am just a little worried about car seat legroom.
  • trunk size - it did seem pretty tight. I know I've seen posts of people getting lots of stuff in there, but there is no getting around it's size. When we go on trips sometimes we use a big tote to put kids bed stuff etc. in, and I don't think that will fit in this car. I know frunk gets a little more room, but still won't help fit the big tote that reduces trips from the car.
  • driving - feels great and sporty. Really liked the feel, so will love driving for years to come.
I'm sure I'll think of something later, but that is some quick stuff off the top of my head.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Hey all,

I am a new member to the model 3 owners club forum, but a LONG time Tesla super fan! I believe I saw this white model 3 in the wild the other day and nearly wrecked! Absolutely stunning!

I have had my order placed from day 1 and have been waiting for dual motor. The only reason I have not configured yet, is that I am a very tall rider (6’10”) and need to be sure I will fit in the car before ordering. With the recent news of the tax credit ending, I am really in a pinch to make a decision. Would anyone be willing to meet up to see if I can fit? I have been calling Kansas City almost daily, but they still have no word on their showroom model. Let me know and I will hope to hear from you! I am from the Des Moines area and willing to travel. Many thanks.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
@thredge Wow!!! I definitely had not seen this before. Super helpful video. Thanks! I am feeling slightly more confident now. Thankfully, the KC store is expecting delivery by the end of the week, so I am anxiously awaiting that phone call...thanks again for the link and best of luck with your recent order! :)

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@thredge Wow!!! I definitely had not seen this before. Super helpful video. Thanks! I am feeling slightly more confident now. Thankfully, the KC store is expecting delivery by the end of the week, so I am anxiously awaiting that phone call...thanks again for the link and best of luck with your recent order! :)
Keep us posted. I read on TMC a guy in Florida is getting to test drive this weekend. He recommends calling the store you want to test drive at directly versus signing up on Tesla’s website. I hope things work out for you in KC! If not, maybe you and I can arrange something, time/schedules permitting.

I saw a Polk County tagged white 3 charging in Davenport the other day. The owner was on the phone though and we didn’t chat. Not even a Tesla wave..../disgruntled noise.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
@Lovesword I will definitely do that! I am expecting the call today as they thought they would have delivery either Thursday or Friday. Even if I can’t test drive, just getting to sit in the cabin with the seat adjusted to my liking should do the trick! If something falls through, I will let you know though and would love to meet! Your car is the pearl white correct? (I am torn between that and the multi coat red) Let me know and we’ll talk soon! :)

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
@Lovesword I have an update from KC about their model 3 situation. Apparently, the model 3 they received was for test drives only and not a show room car. Therefore, they said to be looking for an email about when to set up my appointment. I still haven’t heard anything though, so I thought I would check and see about the possibility of meeting up sometime this week/weekend? I am a teacher in Des Moines, so have nothing but time over the summer. Let me know if you might be interested and maybe we can work something out! If not, no worries though as we plan to visit Chicago in August and I can hopefully sit in one then. Let me know, thanks! :)