Current iOS Mobile App Updates List - Newest 3.9.1 - Solar Improvements (8/17/2019)

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah; my wife's iPhone showed the update on her App Store updates, but again my iPhone doesn't show it. One update notification per customer?? :rolleyes:
The release notes from the App Store don't reveal anything new.
I'm just going to wait to see if I eventually do get a notification. Maybe she's special because her iPhone is newer, shinier, bigger, uses more apps.......
Is it possible you have automatic app updates turned on and it has already updated?

PiperPaul

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is it possible you have automatic app updates turned on and it has already updated?
Wow; lots of good suggestions.
No, I don't. (Still 3.8.2)

We don't have real WiFi here so have to use cellular data which gets very expensive. So I manage each electron very carefully including not having auto updates on.
So I get App Store notifications but manage each update as desired. Fun eh?
While that might drive someone else crazy, we are used to it and accept it as a cost of living in a beautiful, calm, sane part of the world. (I'm taking a risk in revealing too much because we want it to stay peaceful and quiet here. But ARE lobbying for real broadband. :sweat:
I'm imagining this will raise a bunch of new questions; however, I am still counting electrons my replies on this forum use up. :grinning:

Long Ranger

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Oh yeah. It's a good suggestion, and one I've been using since electric computers were invented. :)
When in doubt refresh, re-boot, re-install batteries, re-image, replace....
Just to confirm, when you say you've tried refreshing, you've gone to the App Store, clicked on the Updates tab, and pulled down on that screen, right?

That always works for me to speed up updates and worked last night when my wife got the update and I hadn't been notified of it yet.

PiperPaul

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just to confirm, when you say you've tried refreshing, you've gone to the App Store, clicked on the Updates tab, and pulled down on that screen, right?

That always works for me to speed up updates and worked last night when my wife got the update and I hadn't been notified of it yet.
Yes, I have. Thanks for the suggestion.

In the meantime I believe I have found the root cause:
While confirming all the possibilities suggested I discovered that my iPhone was missing an iOS update (a different mystery since there is normally a persistent indicator showing on the Settings icon - oh well)
Once I had the iOS update installed, then the App Store showed me that the Tesla app update was waiting.
Downloaded, installed, all good.

So it is likely the root cause was that App version 3.8.3 is tied to iOS level 12.2 or better.

Good thing the car doesn't require any maintenance so I have time to fiddle with this stuff. ;)

Long Ranger

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So it is likely the root cause was that App version 3.8.3 is tied to iOS level 12.2 or better.
Makes sense based upon your experience. Only problem with that theory is that I was able to install app 3.8.3 Tuesday night but didn't update to IOS 12.2 until Wednesday. In any case, glad you got the update.

Maybe Tesla is managing to apply their random, selective update logic from their car updates to the App Store as well! ;)

PiperPaul

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Makes sense based upon your experience. Only problem with that theory is that I was able to install app 3.8.3 Tuesday night but didn't update to IOS 12.2 until Wednesday. In any case, glad you got the update.

Maybe Tesla is managing to apply their random, selective update logic from their car updates to the App Store as well! ;)
Seems like it, then!
Definitely confirms the error of determining cause based on my one data point. :rolleyes:

SalisburySam

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Updated this morning on iPhone7 with 12.2. I went through all the menu items and saw nothing at all new or different. My [mod edit] Summon still doesn’t work with vehicle on 8.5.

Last edited by a moderator:

tivoboy

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
It's funny, I had a vehicle software update ready, and then I updated this iOS version of the Tesla app, and now the in vehicle software update is no longer showing on the iOS app. I'm not at the car at the moment, but has the recent software update been pulled?

PiperPaul

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm back on the Apple App Store good guys list - I just got notification of this update.
My wife got the update last week.
This is all to make sure I don't get too full of myself and start thinking I'm ahead of the game.:D

SalisburySam

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Updated the iOS Tesla app yesterday to v3.8.5. I saw no difference to any screen, feature, or process except one: the app does seem to wake up the car far more quickly than previously, at least from the two places in my home that I typically use. Don’t know if this is just an anomaly, but it was faster connecting today as well. I’m using an iPhone7 with iOS v12.3.1.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Updated the iOS Tesla app yesterday to v3.8.5. I saw no difference to any screen, feature, or process except one: the app does seem to wake up the car far more quickly than previously, at least from the two places in my home that I typically use. Don’t know if this is just an anomaly, but it was faster connecting today as well. I’m using an iPhone7 with iOS v12.3.1.
I wonder if this has Smart Summon elements in it and they just don’t say yet.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wonder if this has Smart Summon elements in it and they just don’t say yet.
This should already be included. Go back to the beta version of SW that included Smart Summon and those users were using the same previously released version of the iOS app as those that didn't have Smart Summon.