Introduction and Car Log

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Well Sunday was the day I was waiting months for, when I finally had the opportunity to pull my wheels out of the basement!

The beauty of the mirror-cut TSW Nurburgring is what really put me over the edge switching to blue.

TSW Nurburgring Gunmetal w/Mirror-Cut Face 18x8 with Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 235/45-18

Big thanks to @EVTuning for getting the rims and tires together for me!

EVTuning

Country
Country
Well Sunday was the day I was waiting months for, when I finally had the opportunity to pull my wheels out of the basement!

The beauty of the mirror-cut TSW Nurburgring is what really put me over the edge switching to blue.

TSW Nurburgring Gunmetal w/Mirror-Cut Face 18x8 with Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 235/45-18

Big thanks to @EVTuning for getting the rims and tires together for me!

Definitely made the right choice of the blue with the wheels. Glad you’re happy and got to enjoy them before the summer is over!

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Looks awesome!

How's the handling with the stickier tires? I was also going to ask about the impact to efficiency, but something tells me you've been mashing it a lot more since Sunday. :)

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Looks awesome!

How's the handling with the stickier tires? I was also going to ask about the impact to efficiency, but something tells me you've been mashing it a lot more since Sunday. :)
Honestly, I don't know...my wife has been stealing the car every day! I haven't had the chance to see if acceleration improved from a stop yet.
But I didn't realize till I had them off how terrible the stock tires on. They are going to be outright terrible in the snow. Even these new sport tires have a better snow tread. Though I won't dare expose the new rims to salt.
It's going to be difficult trying to wait a year to get some good snow tires on the aero rims. What's the chance someone will tempt me to sell stock tires with 1000mi on them? :)

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Busy weekend, but I managed to finish and successfully test my 110 to 220 converter box, which I will need if traveling to a rental house or condo etc. Like the Quick220 but bonus feature of being able to switch hot and neutral for common miswired outlets. I'll post plans for it soon.

img_2304-jpg.14063

img_2305-jpg.14064

img_2308-jpg.14065

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
This weekend I took a cleaver to my charging line o_O and added an energy monitor in the basement. I kind of always wanted one, then discussion in the cold weather threads made me curious if the car would use energy to keep the battery warm on very cold nights...this is the only way to tell. Found a reasonably priced monitor on Amazon with a clamp-on sensor, and it fits beautifully in a one-gang plate. You can see parasitic 2W power of the mobile charger, and full 24A charging current, as far as I can tell voltage and current measurements are very accurate. Nervous about those giant wire nuts on 8 gauge, but confirmed with thermal camera there is no heat.

img_0242-jpg.17083

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Now that we had our first snow storm a few days ago, today I swapped wheels back over to the Aero rims, but now with Bridgestone Blizzak LM001 snow tires. I'm actually surprised how quiet these tires are, especially for snows. Took the opportunity to wash all the salt off too...the car might not be clean again till the spring!

I have the stock Michalen Primacy all-seasons in the basement and will sell them to anyone interested. Might be useful to sell off individually to anyone who gets a flat.

img_0326-jpg.17792

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
A few things going on this week, scattered around the forum, but might as well update here as well.

The first thing ever to go wrong with my car, part of the fiber fabric underbody ripped off, in exactly the same spot as many others:
https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/underbody-panels-tearing-off.10617/#post-191544

I made a video documenting all the tools, charging adapters, and other goodies I keep in my trunk kit:

But most excitingly I am making very good progress decoding and displaying live data from the powertrain CAN bus!
screen-shot-2019-01-03-at-11-19-07-am-png.20039

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
A few things going on this week, scattered around the forum, but might as well update here as well.

The first thing ever to go wrong with my car, part of the fiber fabric underbody ripped off, in exactly the same spot as many others:
https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/underbody-panels-tearing-off.10617/#post-191544

I made a video documenting all the tools, charging adapters, and other goodies I keep in my trunk kit:

But most excitingly I am making very good progress decoding and displaying live data from the powertrain CAN bus!
View attachment 20039
I liked your motorist "survivalist" video. My trunk is empty except for a basic mobile charging kit but I like to live dangerously and solve problems as they present themselves. However, I applaud your preparedness! But I was a little surprised at the lack of a defibrillator, blood pressure monitoring device, emergency water filtering device, space blanket, fire extinguisher, flares, satellite phone, signal mirror and a can opener. I assume the tourniquet is in the first aid kit in the console?;)

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I liked your motorist "survivalist" video. My trunk is empty except for a basic mobile charging kit but I like to live dangerously and solve problems as they present themselves. However, I applaud your preparedness! But I was a little surprised at the lack of a defibrillator, blood pressure monitoring device, emergency water filtering device, space blanket, fire extinguisher, flares, satellite phone, signal mirror and a can opener. I assume the tourniquet is in the first aid kit in the console?;)
All good suggestions...maybe I'll make another in a few months to see what I've added :)

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Great video and while there is little work I could ever do on this car myself, those small tool kits and a pair of gloves are always nice. Had never really thought about the jack and lug wrench, but they could both be valuable if you do need to pull the tire to make even a plug repair on the road (I do have the plug repair kit and a small air compressor.) I still carry AAA along with knowing Tesla's support, but still could be so much faster to make a 30 minute repair myself somewhere vs waiting 2 hours on a 3rd party. The needle nose pliers need to be added as well. I need a trip to Harbor Freight !!

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I moved my youtube videos over to a new dedicated channel so it makes more sense to subscribe to and see Tesla-only videos. (I wish youtube let you subscribe to a playlist instead) That way it's not mixed in with my other random stuff. Youtube changed their focus from search-based (which for decades has been the major source of my views) to subscribe-to-channel based, and cemented it by adding all sorts of restrictions and demonitizing anyone with less than 1000 subscribers regardless of how many views they had.
But I just realized I could have multiple channels on one google account so I can play that game I guess. This allows all videos to be on the same topic and should be more conducive to subscribing.
Previously, this had really discouraged me from making a bunch of reviews and small videos that I am always thinking of. I don't have a lot of time, so I will try to make things quick and simple.
I have another techy video on the way and a handful more rattling in my head, plus solar probably installing this summer too.

As always your comments and thoughts are welcome

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I moved my youtube videos over to a new dedicated channel so it makes more sense to subscribe to and see Tesla-only videos. (I wish youtube let you subscribe to a playlist instead) That way it's not mixed in with my other random stuff.
Very nice... I've been meaning to do that with my own YouTube account so I can separate Tesla-related stuff from my usual, coma-inducing content (like rabbits hopping aimlessly around my back yard, or turkeys slowly walking around trees).

Anyway, looking forward to seeing what becomes of all those ideas rattling around!