Introduction and Car Log

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Model S, or at least certain years of S, are documented as having a layer in the windshield that substantially filters RF, to the point where toll passes and detectors don’t work. There’s a gap in the filter layer to the immediate right of the rear view mirror, intended for toll passes. It’s not clear whether the Model 3 has the same layer/gap.
Yes, I know that, but I don't have any special scientific knowledge or tools to measure the chemical composition of the windshield to definitively answer that
I could certainly believe all the coatings on the roof causing an issue, but they don't exist on the windshield.

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yes, I know that, but I don't have any special scientific knowledge or tools to measure the chemical composition of the windshield to definitively answer that
I could certainly believe all the coatings on the roof causing an issue, but they don't exist on the windshield.
From the 3’s manual:

Using RFID Transponders:

When attaching an RFID transponder (used by many automated toll systems) inside Model 3, place the transponder on the right side of the rear view mirror as shown. This ensures best results and minimizes any obstruction to your driving view.

It reads ‘for best results’ but doesn’t say why.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I know, but that is more specific to EZpass, and may just be copied out of the S manual. I have yet to see any determination in forums

EVfusion

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Great posts.
Love the video and its culmination; nice touch.
Love the photos - some superb shots.
Love the timing of your delivery - it was my birthday. All I need now is for my RHD Model 3 to arrive on my next birthday (but frankly that may be wishing for too much).
And as someone else mentioned, I've enjoyed your posts over the past couple of years.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Great posts.
Love the video and its culmination; nice touch.
Love the photos - some superb shots.
Love the timing of your delivery - it was my birthday. All I need now is for my RHD Model 3 to arrive on my next birthday (but frankly that may be wishing for too much).
And as someone else mentioned, I've enjoyed your posts over the past couple of years.
Thanks! I hope they get around to shipping RHD much sooner than expected!

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks. Do you think the brake fits well? I was concerned about ordering one of the ones for the S or X hearing that the brakes are slightly different size than the 3. At the cheaper price point I think I'll just pull the trigger.
The brake pedal on those on eBay is indeed way big. Mine worked it's way to the right a bit and I actually caught it and pulled it off while driving. Put it back on and moved it to the left. Seems to be staying there for now. Have not heard anyone else mention this, but I have 12D, and partner wears bigger shoes than that, so not just tons of room down there.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I haven't been able to make any progress on my projects and installs lately because of all the rain every day.

But I did finally take the car on my first road trip down to my parents in CT, and really got some good experience with various charging situations.

First traffic was absolutely horrible Saturday and not much better today. Autopilot is just so awesome in bumper to bumper traffic! While I set my seat all the way low because I like low sporty cars, to stretch I created a second profile with the seat almost all the way up. Nice to relax the back and legs with a taller position, especially in the middle of the drive with Autopilot managing the pedals.

I absolutely roasted the battery getting down to my parents. I'm not sure if it somehow due to the heavy rain? A big chunk was over 300Wh/mi despite slow speeds and traffic.
My parents were able to take the car for a spin and absolutely loved it, of course.

By the end of the night, my battery was the lowest I've ever had it, at 18%. I figured they had 5-20 outlets in the newer house but everything was just 5-15.
My biggest lesson for the weekend is charging at 120v 12A absolutely sucks.
I was getting 4.4 mi/hr in their garage, and an extension cord to an outdoor outlet was only 3.8mi/hr and then knocked itself down to only 9A. I think the outdoor outlet was not well sealed and dirty.
I quickly realized that I was not getting home on that charge the next day. It would need over 36 hours to charge the battery!
We figured out some plans next time I'm down to install a 14-30 or 14-50, thanks to the panel being near the garage. There are no superchargers nearby thanks to the Old Lyme supercharger stuck in permitting for 240 days. Southeastern CT is not well covered.

By the time I left this afternoon I only had about 45% charge, and would be below 10% hitting the first supercharger on my usual way back, up 395 to Auburn. Tesla doesn't even have plans for a charger on that whole highway!

So instead I signed up for 84 traffic and stopped at the Buckland Hills supercharger. This was my first supercharge and I had the place to myself! Absolutely amazing how blazing fast the lower half of the battery gets charge. I had told my parents these were literally 100x faster chargers than their house, and I had to send photos for proof!

img_1942-jpg.13060

img_1949-jpg.13061

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Great writeup! Love seeing that 476 mph Supercharging rate.

We are planning a road trip to NYC in late September, and now that we know [knock on wood] that we'll have our Model 3 by then, our NYC friends have all but demanded that we take it on that trip so they can check it out! Can't wait to send them a similar pic of our center screen from a Supercharger just outside the city.

I absolutely roasted the battery getting down to my parents. I'm not sure if it somehow due to the heavy rain? A big chunk was over 300Wh/mi despite slow speeds and traffic.
Wet roads alone add enough rolling resistance to cause a 7-10% efficiency hit in my experience. Heavy rain bumps that up closer to 15%. And climate control running continuously in standstill traffic can add a non-trivial amount of consumption over a longer trip... so all said, I'm not too surprised at that efficiency number, given the conditions you described. Plus, something tells me you weren't just cruising along at a steady 55-65 mph when there wasn't any traffic. :)

But yeah, weather and traffic are "impromptu" variables that all EV drivers need to take into account when planning a long road trip... and that's another reason why I think the (almost!) omnipresent Supercharger network is the unsung hero of the Tesla ownership experience. Just imagine trying to complete your return-trip in any so-called "Model 3 competitor"... begin with 45% SoC, then start searching for DCFC stations around 20%, because you never know when you'll arrive at a (single-port) station to find it ICE'd or out-of-commission, then sigh as you pay $9.95 per 30-minute charging session, which doesn't even get your battery up to 80%, yet you plod on because you're not paying another $9.95 for another 10% SoC.... rinse and repeat. Yeah, no thanks! :)

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The only thing I'm upset about is that my parents were constantly concerned with the range. As if I wasn't constantly pulling up Teslafi to look at the stats on my drives and charging on my own, my father must have asked a dozen times "what's it up to now" then shake his head. I had to constantly remind him that even with 30% charge it had a longer range than almost every other electric car brand out there. I should have rolled in with a nearly full battery and glossed things over.
At least he's determined to have me install an outlet next time I go back in a month or so.

I also think I'll soon be making my own 20-amp Quick220 because I really could have used it there, and I can imagine using it any time we travel and stay in a rental house or AirBNB.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The only thing I'm upset about is that my parents were constantly concerned with the range.
Long trips are still an area where electric cars are inferior to combustion vehicles. Teslas are better for this than any other electric, but still not as convenient as a combustion vehicle. Just explain to him that day-to-day use is much more convenient, and that makes the slight inconvenience of the long drive a worth-while tradeoff.

Getting a 240v outlet installed at your parent's house is an excellent idea!

And also, run the calculations for him to show how much less expensive it is to use an electric car for that trip. That should help impress him too.

JeffinAZ

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

I never made a proper introduction to the forum, even though I've been here a while. There wasn't much point until I had a car to introduce as well!
But I figure I might as well do it now, and have a thread where I can continue to post my adventures, photos, and additions, in case anyone would like to follow along.

I live six miles north of Boston. I'm an embedded systems and electrical engineer, and have been into electronics since I was about 7 years old. Since then I've also dreamed of the day that cars would be electric. Pre-internet I remember following with cars like Sunraycer and the EV-1 through Popular Science. I really thought the EV-1 meant electric cars were just a few years away, and California must be some magical place where people get to have them early!

While many people knew I was waiting over two years for my Tesla, I waited till I had a chance to take a few good photos and video before I told friends and family. I surprised everyone with this post on Facebook:

This commercial gets me just as excited now as it did back when it came out in 96, when I thought the electric cars that I had always dreamed of since a kid were finally coming for everyone. It took a few more decades, but now it's here!

Here's my timeline:
-Reserved 4/1/16 8am EST
-Ordered 6/27/18 6:45pm when the floodgates opened
-Received VIN 7/2/18 229xx
-Delivered 7/17/18 6pm

Here's a list of accessories and mods, constantly updating:
-Xpel full front wrap
-DIY 12v tap with hidden 12v terminal distribution and USB ports
-Front and rear dash cams (Anker ROAV C1 and Mini 0903)
-Uniden R3 radar detector
-Slybracket Bozzmount front plate bracket
-DIY phone mount to display
-RPM Tesla black matrix center console wrap
-Self-wired NEMA 14-50 in driveway with dedicated Tesla mobile connector
-RPM Tesla trunk lights upgrade
-Tesla/Weathertech rear trunk mat

My previous cars (all manual):
2014 MINI Paceman S All4
2009 BMW 128i
2004 MINI Cooper S JCW
2000 Ford Focus SE
(OK we are also leasing a 2017 Mazda CX-5 in soul red "for the wife" until Model Y arrives)

We had a wonderful photography subgroup in the MINI forums back in the day that really took my biggest hobby to the next level, so in addition to nature and architecture, I love taking shots of cars. Here are a few from the first weekend with my Model 3:

With your MA plates, your car is red, white and blue! What did you name it?

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Meant to ask: did the delivery center agree to not install the front plate bracket at your request? Or was this not an option, and you had to demount the bracket yourself prior to installing the Bozzmount?
Yes. My ISA happily added the request to the delivery notes well before the car arrived, and they had the plate and bracket in the trunk for me at delivery. I got the impression it was a common request. I just asked to keep it off because "I will be installing paint protection film right away" and there was no question.
Of course, if they do mount it, just easily remove it with some dental floss. If you do it soon enough it will probably just pull off cleanly with just fingers.

TMK26

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
:

Here's a list of accessories and mods, constantly updating:

-DIY 12v tap with hidden 12v terminal distribution and USB ports
So you now have (2) "cigar lighter" sockets? I need a second one... 1 for radar detector, and the other for dashcam.

Do you have a write-up on how you added this? Thanks.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So you now have (2) "cigar lighter" sockets? I need a second one... 1 for radar detector, and the other for dashcam.

Do you have a write-up on how you added this? Thanks.
I hardwire everything except for 5v USB accessories like dash cams. I tap a 12v fuse in most cars (in this case I tapped the light blue wire for the existing lighter socket) and feed a terminal block. I connect all my accessories to that terminal block, and I do add one additional lighter socket for a commercial USB 5v supply. In this case I got a 4 port USB supply to power my two dash cams and some additional things I'm planning on.

I didn't take a good picture, but you can see the terminal block (wrapped in black electrical tape) by the door seal, and the bottom of the socket for the USB supply above it. It all hides under the plastic trim. I basically move this setup from car to car.

img_1855-jpg.13087

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Don't know how I missed this thread...I was out of town so I guess I missed it completely...Congrats! and great pics! I am very much an amateur photographer and using a mirrorless camera (Sony Alpha 6000) for my "serious" shooting. Still learning about shutter and aperture priorities, white balance, ISO, etc... lots to learn. Keep those cool pics and stories coming! :D

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The car is finally truly clean and waxed! Just spent all day washing, clay, polishing, and applying @FEYNLAB Ceramic Lite.
Some more work for tomorrow and maybe then some new glamor shots.

img_2285-jpg.13661

@JWardell How did you affix your front license plate?
It's a Slybrackets Bozzmount. Nice location, adjustable in many ways, and reasonably priced.