Introduction and Car Log

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I never made a proper introduction to the forum, even though I've been here a while. There wasn't much point until I had a car to introduce as well!
But I figure I might as well do it now, and have a thread where I can continue to post my adventures, photos, and additions, in case anyone would like to follow along.

I live six miles north of Boston. I'm an embedded systems and electrical engineer, and have been into electronics since I was about 7 years old. Since then I've also dreamed of the day that cars would be electric. Pre-internet I remember following with cars like Sunraycer and the EV-1 through Popular Science. I really thought the EV-1 meant electric cars were just a few years away, and California must be some magical place where people get to have them early!

While many people knew I was waiting over two years for my Tesla, I waited till I had a chance to take a few good photos and video before I told friends and family. I surprised everyone with this post on Facebook:

This commercial gets me just as excited now as it did back when it came out in 96, when I thought the electric cars that I had always dreamed of since a kid were finally coming for everyone. It took a few more decades, but now it's here!

Here's my timeline:
-Reserved 4/1/16 8am EST
-Ordered 6/27/18 6:45pm when the floodgates opened
-Received VIN 7/2/18 229xx
-Delivered 7/17/18 6pm

My configuration:
-Deep Blue Metallic
-RWD/PUP/EAP
-18" Aeros (will be used in winter)

Here's a list of accessories and mods, constantly updating:
-TSW Nurburgring Gunmetal w/Mirror-Cut Face 18x8 (summer) with
-Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 235/45-18
-Tesla 18" Aero rims with Bridgestone Blizzak LM001 235/45-18
-Xpel full front wrap
-Feynlab Ceramic Lite
-DIY 12v tap with hidden 12v terminal distribution and USB ports
-Front and rear dash cams (Anker ROAV C1 and Mini 0903)
-Uniden R3 radar detector
-Slybracket Bozzmount front plate bracket
-DIY phone mount to display
-RPM Tesla black matrix center console wrap
-Self-wired NEMA 14-50 in driveway with dedicated Tesla mobile connector
-RPM Tesla trunk lights upgrade
-3D MAXpider Kagu floor liners
-Tesla/Weathertech rear trunk mat

My previous cars (all manual):
2014 MINI Paceman S All4
2009 BMW 128i
2004 MINI Cooper S JCW
2000 Ford Focus SE
(OK we are also leasing a 2017 Mazda CX-5 in soul red "for the wife" until Model Y arrives)

We had a wonderful photography subgroup in the MINI forums back in the day that really took my biggest hobby to the next level, so in addition to nature and architecture, I love taking shots of cars. Here are a few from the first weekend with my Model 3:

Last edited:

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I never made a proper introduction to the forum, even though I've been here a while. There wasn't much point until I had a car to introduce as well!
But I figure I might as well do it now, and have a thread where I can continue to post my adventures, photos, and additions, in case anyone would like to follow along.

I live six miles north of Boston. I'm an embedded systems and electrical engineer, and have been into electronics since I was about 7 years old. Since then I've also dreamed of the day that cars would be electric. Pre-internet I remember following with cars like Sunraycer and the EV-1 through Popular Science. I really thought the EV-1 meant electric cars were just a few years away, and California must be some magical place where people get to have them early!

While many people knew I was waiting over two years for my Tesla, I waited till I had a chance to take a few good photos and video before I told friends and family. I surprised everyone with this post on Facebook:

This commercial gets me just as excited now as it did back when it came out in 96, when I thought the electric cars that I had always dreamed of since a kid were finally coming for everyone. It took a few more decades, but now it's here!

Here's my timeline:
-Reserved 4/1/16 8am EST
-Ordered 6/27/18 6:45pm when the floodgates opened
-Received VIN 7/2/18 229xx
-Delivered 7/17/18 6pm

Here's a list of accessories and mods, constantly updating:
-Xpel full front wrap
-DIY 12v tap with hidden 12v terminal distribution and USB ports
-Front and rear dash cams (Anker ROAV C1 and Mini 0903)
-Uniden R3 radar detector
-Slybracket Bozzmount front plate bracket
-DIY phone mount to display
-Self-wired NEMA 14-50 in driveway with dedicated Tesla mobile connector
-RPM Tesla trunk lights upgrade
-Tesla/Weathertech rear trunk mat

My previous cars (all manual):
2014 MINI Paceman S All4
2009 BMW 128i
2004 MINI Cooper S JCW
2000 Ford Focus SE

We had a wonderful photography subgroup in the MINI forums back in the day that really took my biggest hobby to the next level, so in addition to nature and architecture, I love taking shots of cars. Here are a few from the first weekend with my Model 3:

I didn't know you had a 00 Focus... looking at your list of mods it felt like memory lane from NECO, there were both a ton of owners that had both (and Contours) as well as mods that were shared between them. like this for one ;)

Mesprit87

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
"Welcome":D

I use vagcom on my german cars, over the years it saved me time and money.
Being a mechanic, I feel that my next car is kind of out of bound (not that I won't tear it apart like you plan on doing!), just changing the rear brakes will require some insight. And I expect to have to change them more often than usual thanks to regen and the saltbelt.

Anyway, all of this to say I'm glad you are here and hopeful that you will help me (us) lower the wall between my car and my wrenches o_O:D

Good luck with the cracking!

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I surprised everyone with this post on Facebook:

That is an awesomely sneaky intro video! I wonder how many of your friends and family noticed at the end that no one is sitting in the driver's seat... Mind blown x2!

Can't remember whether I posted this in your original photo thread, but this is my all-time favorite picture of a Model 3. The number 3 on the dock plus the container ship in the background is a magical combination for me, and feels like the kind of iconic old-Boston/new-Boston contrast photo that you'd find framed in a modern, high-end restaurant around here. I may have to make it my wallpaper!

Looking forward to your ongoing adventures and projects.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Great, a real photographer! Keep them coming, some of the nicest Model 3 photos I've seen yet. Now if only you had a MC Pearl White one to work with! ;)

It just occurred to me that the summon feature could be useful for a photoshoot when you realize the car doesn't line up with the fore and background quite as well as you wished.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I love those pictures of the car (especially the second one that happens to have a 3 painted on the ground next to it).
The funny story about that photo is that the 3 on the ground was pure coincidence. I didn't notice it when driving, I only stopped there because there was a break in the wall so I could open my door. I didn't even notice it taking the phone. I just took one and rushed off because the sun was on the wrong side and there were people watching that I didn't want to annoy.
I didn't notice it till late that night when I was editing. One of life's happy accidents!

That is an awesomely sneaky intro video! I wonder how many of your friends and family noticed at the end that no one is sitting in the driver's seat... Mind blown x2!
Only two I think! I get giddy every time I see it. At least I entertain myself!

It just occurred to me that the summon feature could be useful for a photoshoot when you realize the car doesn't line up with the fore and background quite as well as you wished.
I used summon several times that day for just that reason, moving up or back a few feet to better align with pavement cracks and lines. And a few video clips of it driving alone of course!

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This weekend I had the chance to make some more progress.

First, after dropping the car off Wednesday night at my good old friend Sublime Restorations,* one of the owners at Automotive Elegance installed Friday full front XPEL on all panels forward of the a-pillar.
(*I made the website for Sublime 13 years ago...we lost touch for a bit...I now need to update it badly! His shop is a museum of millions of dollars worth of cars...)

I've had PPF on my last several cars, watched it improve over generations, but always just the front foot or two. My car lives outside, and 90% of the horizontal painted surface on the Model 3 is the hood. So I paid the extra for the full front not just for rock chips, but bird poo protection as well.

It's almost impossible to detect as all panels are wrapped around the edges, unless you look close at the badge:
img_1901-jpg.12634

After putting in my 12v tap last week and installing my two dash cams, on Saturday I added a Uniden R3 detector. I actually plan NOT to have it installed most of the time, as everything is laser around here, but when I go on road trips or drive through small towns, I still want to throw it up there. Partly just because I'm a bit of a radio geek.

img_1906-jpg.12635

(Forgive the angle, it's really pointed straight forward and screen toward the driver)
Just a small wire when it's not there:
img_1905-jpg.12636

Then today was vinyl day, first I installed RPM Tesla clear door sill protectors, but I am not thrilled with them. You lose that matte look and more importantly despite spending almost an hour trying to remove bubbles, there are still a ton of them. If they don't evaporate I might rip them off.
img_1902-jpg.12637

And finally, I installed RPM Tesla black matrix center console wrap. After all I read, I was amazed how relatively easy this was! I was really sold on their console not because of the cheaper price but because of the little 3 logo. Unfortunately I didn't pick a contrasting enough color. I really wish these logos were sold separately or offered by someone else...paging @kenriko !

img_1903-jpg.12638

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Looks amazing, great job! Where did you get your performance pedals from? Are they specifically for the model 3 and how do you like them?
This weekend I had the chance to make some more progress.

First, after dropping the car off Wednesday night at my good old friend Sublime Restorations,* one of the owners at Automotive Elegance installed Friday full front XPEL on all panels forward of the a-pillar.
(*I made the website for Sublime 13 years ago...we lost touch for a bit...I now need to update it badly! His shop is a museum of millions of dollars worth of cars...)

I've had PPF on my last several cars, watched it improve over generations, but always just the front foot or two. My car lives outside, and 90% of the horizontal painted surface on the Model 3 is the hood. So I paid the extra for the full front not just for rock chips, but bird poo protection as well.

It's almost impossible to detect as all panels are wrapped around the edges, unless you look close at the badge:
View attachment 12634

After putting in my 12v tap last week and installing my two dash cams, on Saturday I added a Uniden R3 detector. I actually plan NOT to have it installed most of the time, as everything is laser around here, but when I go on road trips or drive through small towns, I still want to throw it up there. Partly just because I'm a bit of a radio geek.

View attachment 12635

(Forgive the angle, it's really pointed straight forward and screen toward the driver)
Just a small wire when it's not there:
View attachment 12636

Then today was vinyl day, first I installed RPM Tesla clear door sill protectors, but I am not thrilled with them. You lose that matte look and more importantly despite spending almost an hour trying to remove bubbles, there are still a ton of them. If they don't evaporate I might rip them off.
View attachment 12637

And finally, I installed RPM Tesla black matrix center console wrap. After all I read, I was amazed how relatively easy this was! I was really sold on their console not because of the cheaper price but because of the little 3 logo. Unfortunately I didn't pick a contrasting enough color. I really wish these logos were sold separately or offered by someone else...paging @kenriko !

View attachment 12638

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Looks amazing, great job! Where did you get your performance pedals from? Are they specifically for the model 3 and how do you like them?
Forgot about those! Just cheap eBay ones from China, although I got a Model X set that includes a dead pedal taking a chance it would fit. It's much too large. I might cut it down and use it eventually though.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Forgot about those! Just cheap eBay ones from China, although I got a Model X set that includes a dead pedal taking a chance it would fit. It's much too large. I might cut it down and use it eventually though.
Thanks. Do you think the brake fits well? I was concerned about ordering one of the ones for the S or X hearing that the brakes are slightly different size than the 3. At the cheaper price point I think I'll just pull the trigger.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks. Do you think the brake fits well? I was concerned about ordering one of the ones for the S or X hearing that the brakes are slightly different size than the 3. At the cheaper price point I think I'll just pull the trigger.
It is slightly wider, so you could move it left or right with some effort, but it's not at all an issue. I would definitely suggest going with the cheap set

lairdb

Country
Country
Have you performed any Science on whether there's a windshield coating that does or doesn't interfere with RF?

lairdb

Country
Country
I don't think there's anything special to the windshield but I don't know much about that that
Model S, or at least certain years of S, are documented as having a layer in the windshield that substantially filters RF, to the point where toll passes and detectors don’t work. There’s a gap in the filter layer to the immediate right of the rear view mirror, intended for toll passes. It’s not clear whether the Model 3 has the same layer/gap.