Introducing Scarlett

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The baby was finally delivered to her waiting parents on April 14, 2018 weighing in at 3,838 pounds, with a gestation period of exactly 2 years and 2 weeks. We named her Scarlett for her amazing red color.

Facts:
- She was conceived on March 31, 2016 at exactly 2:49 pm pacific time
- She was ready to configure on April 10th at exactly 1:00 pm
- Her VIN 18,XXX was ready instantly after configuration
- Delivered at the Fremont Delivery center on April 14th 2018 (4 days from configure to pick up)

interesting side note:
Scarlett, rolled off the assembly line on April 10, the exact same day we configured and received the VIN.

Configuration
- Red Multi-Coat Paint
- 19’’ Sport Wheels
- Enhanced Autopilot
- Long Range Battery
- Premium Upgrades

She is pictured in the garage alongside of her 60 year old sister dressed in yellow. For those who are interested her sister is a 1958 Austin Healey "bug eye" sprite, weighing in at just under 2,000 pounds and producing just over 500 HP with her supercharged small block Chevy engine, extremely fast, sucks fuel like there is no tomorrow and talk about ride quality, road and wind noise....you have no idea!
img_5043-jpg.7426

Last edited:

Demetre

Country
Country
The baby was finally delivered to her waiting parents on April 14, 2018 weighing in at 3,838 pounds, with a gestation period of exactly 2 years and 2 weeks. We named her Scarlett for her amazing red color.

Facts:
- Delivered at the Fremont Delivery center on April 14th 2018 (4 days from configure to pick up)

.......and one helluva hospital bill !!!!

Congrats!

John Slaby

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Facts:

interesting side note:
Scarlett, rolled off the assembly line on April 10, the exact same day we configured and received the VIN.

Configuration
- Red Multi-Coat Paint
- 19’’ Sport Wheels
- Enhanced Autopilot
- Long Range Battery
- Premium Upgrades

She is pictured in the garage alongside of her 60 year old sister dressed in yellow. For those who are interested her sister is a 1958 Austin Healey "bug eye" sprite, weighing in at just under 2,000 pounds and producing just over 500 HP with her supercharged small block Chevy engine, extremely fast, sucks fuel like there is no tomorrow and talk about ride quality, road and wind noise....you have no idea! View attachment 7426
My brother bought a second-hand Austin Healy Sprite in 1970 for $600 when we were in high school, and it was the coolest car I had ever seen. Congrats on both. I am an April 10th invite with the exact configuration as you - I wonder if the Sprite has anything to do with that.

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For those who are waiting, I thought I would offer some perspective on my first few days with Scarlett. First a little background so you know where I am coming from:

I have been a car guy all my life, I have restored classic cars and built hot rods. Over the years my daily drivers have included 3 Mercedes, 2 BMW’s 2 Audi’s an Infiniti, VW, Prius plug in and countless other cars. The Model 3 is replacing an Audi S5 ($70k in 2014) so for me that is my perspective and most recent comparison.

Fit and Finish
I am a little OCD when it comes to cars, I have done a fair amount of body work myself and know what to look for. I have to say the fit and finish (body panel alignment, paint, interior material fit) is as good, or better than anything in its price range. When you start to compare it with German or Japanese luxury vehicles in the $70k> and up range it falls short but that is not what this is.

Ride quality
I was concerned from all the posts that talked about harsh ride quality and wind noise. I went for 19” sport wheels which should be a bit harsher ride than the stock 18” wheels. Scarlett with VIN 18XXX rolled off the assembly line on April 10, so there may have been improvements made since the early reports but my assessment is the ride quality is less harsh than a BMW 3 series with sport suspension and not as soft and cushy as a Lexus or Mercedes.

Road and wind noise
At high speed with the 19” Continental tires there is some road noise, it’s not extreme, it doesn’t bother me and I suspect different tires would help. I suspect that it may appear to sound louder than it actually is because there is no engine noise to muffle it. In an ICE vehicle you might think you cannot hear your engine at freeway speeds but when any internal combustion engine is running at 3,000 RPM, I guarantee that it is making a lot of noise, and because of that it may seem like you hear the tire and wind noise a little less in an ICE vehicle. (Try putting your daily driver ICE car in Park on your driveway, bring it up to 3000 RPM and listen. That is the same white noise you probably can not detect at 65 MPH that it is muffling wind and road noise).

I don’t get the complaints about wind noise, the car is sealed tight and I cannot hear any wind noise on a typical spring day at the speed limit in California. I cannot speak to what it sounds like on a windy day or at very high speeds yet. I have only had the car for a few days and will be providing more feedback later.

Last edited:

Keydiver

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
My brother bought a second-hand Austin Healy Sprite in 1970 for $600 when we were in high school, and it was the coolest car I had ever seen.
My best friend in high school was my cousin who had a 1961 (?) Austin Healy Sprite. It was the first year after the bugeye, and had sliding plexiglass windows. The thing looked so tiny even next to my parent's Beetle that I was driving. I helped him do body work and paint on it. Very cool car. Later he sold it and bought something with just a little more HP, a 1966 GTO with the 389 Tri-power.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Facts:

interesting side note:

Configuration
- Red Multi-Coat Paint
- 19’’ Sport Wheels
- Enhanced Autopilot
- Long Range Battery
- Premium Upgrades

She is pictured in the garage alongside of her 60 year old sister dressed in yellow. For those who are interested her sister is a 1958 Austin Healey "bug eye" sprite, weighing in at just under 2,000 pounds and producing just over 500 HP with her supercharged small block Chevy engine, extremely fast, sucks fuel like there is no tomorrow and talk about ride quality, road and wind noise....you have no idea! View attachment 7426
Such a nice contrast in colors in your garage! Congrats on your new baby! :D