Interior trim

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

MarkB

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I completely agree on the wood being ugly and out of place. It's an easy fix with an overlay though, and I suspect other materials will be available in a year or less.
I actually like it. The dash itself is so unique compared to what we're used to, why not make it even more so? The more I see pictures of it, the more I like it.

Will be interesting to see what the non-premium dash looks like.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I don't find the "Premium Upgrades" package particularly compelling, other than the (very small section of) glass roof. A glass roof might be worth $5k to me (cough, choke) except it comes with the "open pore" wood dash, which has a fatal flaw.

There are no other wood accents anywhere else in the interior to tie it in.

I've looked at all the interior pics I can find and that strip of wood looks mighty lonely, sad, and out of place. Every time I look at it, those open pores turn into a mouth singing Simon and Garfunkel's "I Am a Rock" and it gets stuck in my head for hours.

This is something I'd be willing to pay money to avoid, and thus, seems like should be a standard feature and not a premium one. Am I the only one that finds this extremely weird, like to the point of a design fail?
My preference would be an aluminum or carbon fiber trim however that wood trim is quickly growing on me. We should ask @TrevP and @Kennethbokor for their thoughts though as they saw it in person. I suspect you'll be pleasantly surprised with it after seeing it in person as well.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Carid.com has a variety of dash trim kits , with a good selection of finishes including aluminum , I'm sure they'll eventually have one for the M3,
I installed one in my EV and am very satisfied , with the personalized touch.
Any pictures you can share of before and after?

Jayc

Country
Country
Let's just say there is no doubt, it is a very "marmite" choice for a premium interior - especially so for a next generation EV.

John Slaby

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
There seems to be an immediate association of minimalist with non-premium. I think of the interior as Scandinavian, and I think most people would associate that with high-end modernist design. The simple, clean and elegant interior is a clear departure from the more-is-better world of current cars. Of course, design is personal, so it will not be for everyone, but all of the people that have actually driven or ridden in the car have indicated the interior feels very high-end, and I'm more inclined to side with those who have actually been in the car than to those who are just reacting to pictures.

I feel like the naysayer's narrative around the single display is similar. 'They did that to save money' is the oft repeated line, which is silly, akin to saying Apple removed the physical keyboard from the iPhone to save money. They removed to keyboard to use the incredible power of the computer to rethink how we look at utility and beauty - a single screen, dynamically adapting to the context, provided an intuitive, expressive UI. Oh, and by the way, it can be upgraded to become better over time. Time to move the automotive industry into the digital age and discard the norms of a century of incremental change.

I can't wait for my Model 3 in all its simplicity and elegance :D

Badback

Valued Community Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
I don't find the "Premium Upgrades" package particularly compelling, other than the (very small section of) glass roof. A glass roof might be worth $5k to me (cough, choke) except it comes with the "open pore" wood dash, which has a fatal flaw.

I've looked at all the interior pics I can find and that strip of wood looks mighty lonely, sad, and out of place. Every time I look at it, those open pores turn into a mouth singing Simon and Garfunkel's "I Am a Rock" and it gets stuck in my head for hours.

This is something I'd be willing to pay money to avoid, and thus, seems like should be a standard feature and not a premium one. Am I the only one that finds this extremely weird, like to the point of a design fail?
We need to bring back the big red X disagree rating.

$ Trillion Musk

Buy XRP world reserve digital currency
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
I have to agree that the wood strip looks a bit out of place to me. If I had a choice I would probably select a carbon fiber or piano black strip. Certainly not a deal breaker by any means though.

Dan
Piano black might look nice. To reduce glare, I would caution putting a shiny surface on the dash though.

Not sure if carbon fiber will look overpowering on such a large surface area.

Perhaps black alcantara works nicely just like in the Model S & X?

I'm curious as to what dash material would be used for the standard package. My guess is that it will look very similar to the alpha prototypes.

Last edited:

Gizmo

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Piano black is a PITA as it shows up any dust and is a fingerprint magnet ... had it on my last 3 cars, not by choice I hasten to add!! :eek:

ModFather

old CARmudgeon
Country
Country

No worries Bryan, Aftermarket is already designing an applique for the top of that wood strip if you don't like it - various solid colors, carbon fiber affect, machined aluminum, etc. My guess is the cost will be about $100.

Ninja

Country
Country
My preference would be an aluminum or carbon fiber trim however that wood trim is quickly growing on me. We should ask @TrevP and @Kennethbokor for their thoughts though as they saw it in person. I suspect you'll be pleasantly surprised with it after seeing it in person as well.
Do we know what type of wood is in the Model 3? Or is it still unknown?

ModFather

old CARmudgeon
Country
Country
Do we know what type of wood is in the Model 3? Or is it still unknown?
We frequently go to antique auctions. The auctioneer is very knowledgeable about all types of wood but sometimes the wood species is unidentifiable so he just says, "tree wood."
To my eye,(and I'm half blind) the wood resembles walnut or maybe Philippine mahogany. It's hard to tell in the poor lighting.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
We need to bring back the big red X disagree rating.
I'm with you.
  • "Sub zero package"
  • 12-way adjustable seats and memory everything
  • Premium audio
  • All glass roof
  • Auto dimming/folding side mirrors
  • LED fog lamps
  • 2 phone docks
There's a lot in there. Standalone thinking of other cars it probably adds up to more than $5k. If it was all separate I might have skipped on individual pieces but in reality I like everything and moreover I'm happy it's bundled because now I'm not nitpicking on small things to leave out that I would have wanted.

Bryan Baker

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It looks like it would be a pretty easy DIY project to wrap that piece of wood trim with some carbon-fiber look vinyl.

Lots of choices for that stuff on ebay, Amazon, and elsewhere. If I didn't like the wood (I do), I'd give that a shot.
I like wood trim just fine, and it would be my first choice by far in the TMS. However, in the 3 w/ no other wood trim to tie in to... a big no-go.

There was a lot of design-detail clunkiness in the very first production Model Ss, too, for example the wood grain going the wrong way. I suspect more wood will tie in about the same time they release the white interior at the end of the year. In which case, I'd be tempted to choose the wood trim over white.

Otherwise, DIY vinyl will be the way to go. Or maybe some zebra print-shag.

Twiglett

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
I'm with you.
  • "Sub zero package"
  • 12-way adjustable seats and memory everything
  • Premium audio
  • All glass roof
  • Auto dimming/folding side mirrors
  • LED fog lamps
  • 2 phone docks
There's a lot in there. Standalone thinking of other cars it probably adds up to more than $5k. If it was all separate I might have skipped on individual pieces but in reality I like everything and moreover I'm happy it's bundled because now I'm not nitpicking on small things to leave out that I would have wanted.
Add that most of that memory everything is connected to your driver profile - even better.
With a minimum of two regular drivers in our Model 3, trying to live with manual adjustment would be an exercise in futility and annoyance. My wife love to drive our Leaf, but we both hate adjusting the seat and mirrors every. single. time. we. get. in. the. car. Replicating that pain in our Model 3 is a none starter.