Insight in production

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Now we're starting to look forward to the production of Model 3, it can be nice to see how Model S is produced.

Here a link of a video by Wired. Maybe not new, but I hadn't seen it before.
I find the 'ballet' of robots and car parts leading up to a new car always fascinating.
And then to remember that the production of Model 3 will be much more robotised!

http://www.youtube.com/embed/8_lfxPI5ObM

Twiglett

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
I hadn't seen that one before, thank you.
As you say, Model 3 will be automated to an even greater extent and production rate dramatically faster.
Really can't wait to see that.
That has to be worth selecting factory delivery right there :)

mt.west.ev

Country
Country
I have seen quotes attributed to E. Musk, that the M3 will be easier to assemble than the S.

Any ideas about why that would be true?
I can understand the doors on the X could be a problem .... But I can't see the coachwork on the 3 would be significantly different than assembling any other vehicle.

TesLou

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not as many moving parts on the 3. There will be no self-presenting door handles, for one. And think about the dashboard on the X and S and all the wiring required. Far fewer parts in that area for the 3, that's for sure.

Twiglett

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Designing for assembly means allowing space for robots to reach in, or not requiring fiddly clips to hold wiring in etc.
Also like using a glass roof that allows the interior of the car to be open to automation very late in the build process.
So much of even so called mass produced cars require the huge amount of manual dexterity provided by a human.
A design that allows none human assembly will be quicker to build.
With Model Y they are aiming for zero humans on the line.