Initial thoughts on Model 3

Vetteman

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Former owner of Model X P90D - LOVED it.

I just rented a 3 and here are some initial thoughts ..

Overall not impressed with Model 3. I was expecting more. My 12 yr daughter said it best....take away the cool screen and its a Honda (I didnt want to tell her a Honda drives much smoother) .

My biggest issue is the ride quality is awful. Its like riding a roller coaster - way to firm - you just bounce up and down. This video someone else posted is perfect to understanding ride quality.

The exterior door handles are just odd. You pull on them but they dont open all the way - they just feel cheap

The fit and finish isnt good - panels are not lined up. Hood sits higher than fender on one side, door panels dont line up. This VIN is 1600 approx so maybe this will improve as VIN gets higher.

(‘I see from comments below that this comment may be due to fact I’m renting and don’t have the app installed so may not be a valid comment). the key card is bizarre as you constantly have to rub it next to the cup holders to start the car. Every car made today is keyless - so you have to carry this card and remove it from your pocket to start the car every time- its just a hassle. My car is always asking to start car with card. Not sure if it an issue with just my car?

So far there is no wifi connection like the S or X (which connect direct to wifi and not thru tethering) . how do I update the car at home? (where I have no cell signal)

The trunk needs to be slammed shut - hard.

If you didnt now what the car was and just drove it you would say its a cheap 25K car. This is NOT a 60K car. There is no comparison to the S or X (But to be fair those cost a lot more)

its a cute car. it zips around and has incredible visibility out the front. The window pillar is huge and blocks side visibility.

the radio controls are also a mess - as you have too click audio - then click again to raise it up then click again to raise it top higher. EVERY time just to see the stations.

The acceleration of the car is amazing. It feels like a go-kart to drive which I think is fun.

It feels like the future of cars but its tough to reconcile 55K for this when you can buy a Mercedes, Audi, Cadillac etc etc and get a much more luxurious car.

Bottom line - if you never owned an electric car or Tesla before you will be wowed. If you owned a Tesla S or X before you will be dissapointed. To be fair those cars cost more.

Overall all Tesla’s are amazing cars. Nothing can compete. But when you put aside the fact it’s electric and just focus on the ride quality and material quality the car is not on par with the price of the car.

Shoot the messenger but these are just my thoughts.

Last edited:

oripaamoni

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Nice to see the other side of how some feel, I have the same concern as you, I love my Audi's interior. I rented a model 3 for 24hrs on Turo for this sunday-monday. Going to spend some time with it before I commit 60k, although I feel i am one of those that will be wowed.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
@Vetteman , thanks for sharing.
Though overall it feels very negative and, to the extent you know T≡SLA, I am puzzled by a couple of comments:

- lack of WiFi? Nothing different than what you experienced in your X90D, right?
- with regards to the key card, my understanding it is only a back up, or you way to handle valet parking; base case is you use the T≡SLA app on your phone... Again, trust you know that.
- with all due to respect to your daughter’s taste on car design, I personally feel Honda makes about the ugliest cars right now... :confused:

So, while it is certainly informative to have feedback on areas for improvement, I’m left with an odd feeling on your overall feedback. o_O

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
No, he's talking about the car connecting to a wifi network to download software updates.
Got that. My point was an X is not better that I know of from this perspective, right? o_O

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Former owner of Model X P90D - LOVED it

I Own lots of cars.

Overall not impressed with Model 3. My 12 yr daughter said it best....take away the cool screen and its a Honda (I didnt want to tell her a Honda drives much smoother) .

The ride quality is awful. Its like riding a roller coaster - you just bounce up and down.

The exterior door handles are just odd. You pull on them but they dont open all the way - they just feel cheap

the key card is bizarre as you constantly have to rub it next to the cup holders to start the car. Every car made today is keyless - so you have to Carry this card and remove it from your pocket to start the car every time- its just a hassle

there is no wifi? how do I update the car at home (where I have no cell signal)

The trunk needs to be slammed shut

If you didnt now what the car was and just drove it you would say its a cheap 25K car. This is NOT a 60K car. There is no comparison to the S or X

its a cute car. it zips around and has incredible visibility out the front. The window pillar is huge and blocks side visibility.

the radio controls are also a mess - as you have too click audio - then click again to raise it up then click again to raise it top higher. EVERY time just to see the stations.

It feels like the future of cars but its tough to reconcile 55K for this when you can buy a Merceds, Audi, Cadillac etc etc and get a much more luxurious car.

Bottom line - if you never owned an electric car or Tesla before you will be wowed. If you owned a Tesla S or X before you will think its crap as it is compared to them.

these are just my initial thoughts...
We are all of course welcome to our own opinions and I want to be fair to yours, but the only thing I agree with is the trunk comment and literally nothing else...

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Got that. My point was an X is not better that I know of from this perspective, right? o_O
I believe that both the S and X are capable of "tethering" to a wifi connection, which can then be used to download software updates in addition to other uses.

We believe that the 3 will have this ability as well. The software just doesn't support it yet.

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Former owner of Model X P90D - LOVED it

I Own lots of cars.

Overall not impressed with Model 3. My 12 yr daughter said it best....take away the cool screen and its a Honda (I didnt want to tell her a Honda drives much smoother) .

The ride quality is awful. Its like riding a roller coaster - you just bounce up and down.

the key card is bizarre as you constantly have to rub it next to the cup holders to start the car. Every car made today is keyless - so you have to Carry this card and remove it from your pocket to start the car every time- its just a hassle

there is no wifi? how do I update the car at home (where I have no cell signal)

The trunk needs to be slammed shut

If you didnt now what the car was and just drove it you would say its a cheap 25K car. This is NOT a 60K car. There is no comparison to the S or X

It feels like the future of cars but its tough to reconcile 55K for this when you can buy a Merceds, Audi, Cadillac etc etc and get a much more luxurious car.

Bottom line - if you never owned an electric car or Tesla before you will be wowed. If you owned a Tesla S or X before you will think its crap as it is compared to them.

these are just my initial thoughts...
So lets start with a few facts:
1- You just joined this Forum yesterday moments before writing this review
2- This is your first and only post (under this particular profile)

Now lets get to Alternative Facts:
- Literally everything that you have written

ghoticov

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One post... blast the car... yea right.

I have 2 other electric cars (a Chevy Bolt and a Fiat 500e) and the Model 3 absolutely blows away either car. The fit and finish is more like the Fiat, which is better than that Bolt and the driving is much more like the Bolt (with regen and larger size) than the Fiat.

To me, its the best of both worlds.

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Last edited:

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country

Vetteman

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
HI Sandy,

That was indeed me on TMC - asking if any changes were coming as I was considering ordering a NEW X as mine was one of the first made originally. There have been several improvements made since to the auto pilot etc....Not sure what is odd about me asking what changes are coming before I order another one?

I think I would trust the opinion of someone who has owned an X and LOVED IT vs someone who hasn't - Whats odd about someone who loves one Tesla and not the other?

Not sure what is suspicious about someone wanting to let others know about their experience with the 3. Is there a law I needed to join last year and wait 365 days to post? So people are mad because I gave my opinion of the car? Has everyone here ever driven a 3?

Is there a law that you must LOVE the Tesla? Its a great car, It just doesnt drive nearly a nice or have the fit and finish as any other 55K cars - Thats MY opinion. you dont have to agree with it. For others thinking of paying 60K+ (with tax) for the car they might like to hear the not so positive thoughts of people who have driven them and owned an X (for over a year)

As I said all Teslas are amazing cars. but once you compare the drive and quality (not the fact it has a battery) you get a more honest review.

Have a great weekend! :)

Last edited:

wooo13

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
HI Sandy,

That was indeed me on TMC - asking if any changes were coming as I was considering ordering a NEW X as mine was one of the first made originally. There have been several improvements made since to the auto pilot etc....Not sure what is odd about me asking what changes are coming before I order another one?

I think I would trust the opinion of someone who has owned an X and LOVED IT vs someone who hasn't - Whats odd about someone who loves one Tesla and not the other?

Not sure what is suspicious about someone wanting to let others know about their experience with the 3. Is there a law I needed to join last year and wait 365 days to post? So people are mad because I gave my opinion of the car? Has everyone here ever driven a 3?

Is there a law that you must LOVE the Tesla? Its a great car, It just doesnt drive nearly a nice or have the fit and finish as any other 55K cars - Thats MY opinion. you dont have to agree with it. For others thinking of paying 60K+ (with tax) for the car they might like to hear the not so positive thoughts of people who have driven them and owned an X (for over a year)

As I said all Teslas are amazing cars. but once you compare the drive and quality (not the fact it has a battery) you get a more honest review.

Have a great weekend! :)
Other than the rough ride and myriad of controls embedded in the screen, was there anything else that made you feel like this was a $25k car?

Luckily the screen and controls can be improved via software update (and hopefully with voice control). I see the ride is stiff, which appears to be a preference for some based on other YouTube videos. I’d prefer a smoother ride as well.

I just want to better understand before I am invited to configure. I’d imagine going from an S and an X to a 3 would make the 3 feel underwhelming. I’m going to make the transition from an Audi A3 and I’m hoping I feel the increase in price is worth it! Actually, the 3 might be the same cost as my A3 after the Federal tax credit.

Vetteman

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The car is super fun to drive. Super quick etc. It feels like a go kart. I say that I a positive way. Just fun. Visibility is amazing out front.

The road noise is substantial. It feels like it has the wrong tires on it. The ride is very bumpy/firm. And the overall materials in the car are not rich.

If you want an electric car there is nothing that can compare. It’s a 35k they are selling for 55k but the ride quality still feels like 25-30k. I think anyone wanting an electric car will be happy. But if your thinking your getting the luxury of similar priced cars you will be disappointed.

Jayc

Country
Country
I think anyone wanting an electric car will be happy. But if your thinking your getting the luxury of similar priced cars you will be disappointed.
I don't think this conclusion is news to anyone on this forum or tmc.

At its price range, this is the best EV on the planet - nothing else comes close.

And to be frank, other so called luxury ice cars in the same price bracket are irrelevant - their days are numbered. Just you wait and see.

wooo13

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
The car is super fun to drive. Super quick etc. It feels like a go kart. I say that I a positive way. Just fun. Visibility is amazing out front.

The road noise is substantial. It feels like it has the wrong tires on it. The ride is very bumpy/firm. And the overall materials in the car are not rich.

If you want an electric car there is nothing that can compare. It’s a 35k they are selling for 55k but the ride quality still feels like 25-30k. I think anyone wanting an electric car will be happy. But if your thinking your getting the luxury of similar priced cars you will be disappointed.
I see what you’re saying. I think the main difference is the amount of range you get with the LR Model 3. I would have pulled the trigger on the i3 if it didn’t cost so much to get only 100 mile range. I took one for the weekend and felt like I had to constantly charge it.

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country