Country
Last edited:

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
But sadly it didn't earn the top safety plus called TSP+ rating.

https://www.torquenews.com/1083/aft...del-3-already-excluded-top-iihs-safety-rating

Sadly "for the Model 3 and its future owners, the car will not earn the Top Safety Pick Plus (TSP+) designation that inexpensive vehicles the same size as the Model 3 like the Hyundai Elantra and Subaru Impreza have already earned."
The criteria for Top Safety Pick don't really seem to make much sense.

"To qualify for 2018 TOP SAFETY PICK+, a vehicle must earn good ratings in the driver-side small overlap front, moderate overlap front, side, roof strength and head restraint tests, as well as an acceptable or good rating in the passenger-side small overlap front test. It also must earn an advanced or superior rating for front crash prevention and a good headlight rating."

So an acceptable rating for passenger small overlap is permissible but acceptable for LED headlights which most high end vehicles have is not?

IF TESLA IS LISTENING and this TSP+ rating is important to them, Tesla can make the LED headlights part of the PUP and have projector or HID lights for the standard trim. As with the Elantra or Impreza, the GOOD headlight rating is only for certain trim lines but still gives that model the IIHS TSP+ blessing (and presumably lower insurance rates too)

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I looked up a few main competitors for the Model 3 pretty comparable considering the safety equip is standard in Tesla:

BMW 3 series has TSP (no +).
ACCEPTABLE Headlights, Marginal Front Crash Prevention (with optional equipment)
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/bmw/3-series-4-door-sedan

Mercedes C series NO TSP.
POOR Headlights, SUPERIOR Front Crash Prevention (with optional equipment)
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/mercedes-benz/c-class-4-door-sedan

Audi A4 series has TSP (no +).
ACCEPTABLE Headlights (with optional equipment), SUPERIOR Front Crash Prevention
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/audi/a4-4-door-sedan

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
So stupid. I consider myself very safety focused (e.g. I find AWD more important than LR or PUP), and even I would still choose the headlights being slightly less powerful in order to have LED headlights.

I wonder if they could fix this with a (somewhat cheating, but not illegal) software update.The limiting factor on LED headlights is temperature; if they get too hot, the lifespan gets reduced. It of course takes time to heat up a heat sink. So they could have the headlights (for all cars, not just those currently undergoing IIHS testing) come on at a higher power, then reduce power once the lights are up to their maximum acceptable temperature.

Country
Country
This is taking a while. Unfortunately I have a feeling it's because the Model 3 flopped a major test and Tesla is fixing it on newer builds. i.e. when the results come out it will be good but only for cars built beyond some date

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is taking a while. Unfortunately I have a feeling it's because the Model 3 flopped a major test and Tesla is fixing it on newer builds. i.e. when the results come out it will be good but only for cars built beyond some date
That's not really how the IIHS works. they purchase the test cars themselves, release whatever results they have, and don't really hold them for the manufacturer to respond to and re-test.

the delay is likely due to the released tests were non-crash tests, so likely was done on vehicles IIHS had from Turo rentals, their own private cars, etc. and they've not yet gotten together enough Model 3s for the series of crash tests.