INFOGRAPH - Tesla employee talking points

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
If there is any consolation I can take with the cargo space is, if the reason for lower than assumed cargo space is because they took some real estate from the frunk and the trunk to have the best in class cabin space to accomodate all 4-5 adults with enough legroom. As Elon or one of the engineers mentioned that your are seated way forward and way rearward as possible.
I know, I know, @samson ... and still believe I'll love the car as I've grown to want it so much...
Sorry for venting a bit excessively, y'all... the cargo space got me over the edge... in addition to this perpetual 'But why don't you 'just' buy an S, Mr. Russo?' selling pitch... !! :mad:

Sure I would, if I could... even the lowest battery size with minimal frills... yet then there would be no more money to pay for the divorce from my (definitively always very human) OTHER... (;), @Badback !).

Not.An.Option.

So, ok... trailer hitch, anyone ? :D

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Trev, honestly, how much of a frunk will be left in the AWD version?

What if 4 passengers want to travel with minimum amount of luggage... ?? Honestly, this is a major downer... believe I've been positive & enthusiastic enough to be honest about how I feel...
I think the frunk size will be same on both, no loss for those who want AWD

Dash

Country
Country
According to this, the Model 3 is exactly the same length as my current one (+- 3cm) and has only 3/4 the cargo capacity with the frunk included. Needless to say I currently have no frunk. Thats disappointing.
Good thing there is so much leg room, because my passengers will have their bags between their feet.

Hope the baby buggy fits, or else I will not be amused.

Jayc

Country
Country
It's not a joke. This was sent to me from a source inside Tesla and and I was told it's OK to release.
I have a nagging feeling we have just been recruited to the upsell-model-s-army without our permission. You know what, we should shut down M3OC and TMC till July, that will teach Tesla not to take their fans for granted.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a nagging feeling we have just been recruited to the upsell-model-s-army without our permission. You know what, we should shut down M3OC and TMC till July, that will teach Tesla not to take their fans for granted.
I disagree. This is a final upsell push before the affordable Tesla becomes a reality.

Red Sage

The Cybernetic Samurai
Country
Country
Model 3 cargo volume is with the back seats up and includes the frunk.
Once again, if that is true, it is rather dismaying. If the frunk is as little as 3 ft³, that means the Model ☰ trunk would be considerably smaller than that of a BMW 3-Series at maybe 11 ft³. From my own analysis of photos showing the interior of both, I do not believe that to be the case.

Someone in another discussion told me that the EPA's calculations for the cargo capacity for Model S did NOT include the frunk at all. I found that interesting, decided to agree to disagree, and dropped the subject. With a listed 14 ft³ size for the Model ☰ trunk, I'm thinking that other guy was right. Because this is 1 ft³ less than Honda Civic and 1 ft³ more than a BMW 3-Series.

Take a look at this:

Those are the official luggage volume listings for those cars. I would expect the Model ☰ luggage volume to exceed that of the 320i by default in the trunk. And adding the volume of the frunk to that should be more than the Challenger.

Please, do us the favor of confirming that 14 ft³ amount with your source, one way or the other. Thanks.

NoVADrew

omg I have a VIN
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Could be wrong here, but it doesn't seem like paint is counted in the number of configurations. Including paint, I'm coming out with 26,880 configs for the S based on these options:

Colors: 7
Roof: 2
Wheels: 4
Interiors: 6 (+ carbon fiber trim not factored in)
Drivetrains: 5 (70, 70D, 90D, 100D, P100D)
Equipment: 2 (Standard or Premium)
Subzero Package: 2 (yes or no)
Sound: 2 (Standard or upgraded)
Rear seats: 2 (yes or no)

Take out paint and you're at 3,840, which is also well above 1,500.

Uricasha

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Some might say that the info graphic is an insult to model 3 fans. I see it completely differently. A very small sliver of the population understands electric cars. In order to get the info across, you gotta break it down in distinct talking points. I rent my Smart Electric on Turo and I have to cancel 75% of reservations because people are dumbfounded that they can't put gas in it even though I try to clearly explain the limitations of the car in the listing.

Also, any corporation that sells you something will always upsell. It's how they keep their doors open and allow for more doors to be created. Why buy an "affordable" iPhone SE when you can pay twice as much for something bigger, faster, and more bells & whistles?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Please, do us the favor of confirming that 14 ft³ amount with your source, one way or the other. Thanks.
after picking up my Model 3, my first stop will be to a package store to buy a few bags of packing peanuts and a 12x12x12 box. then will go home and proceed to see how many boxes worth can fit in the trunk/frunk (this is how the professionals measure, right?)

my own size comparisons are this.
My solstice has a 5CF trunk (I think at some time early last year I may have posted a pix of it with about a dozen packs of beer and wine - 5CF is actually more than it sounds...)
My cougar that is a hatch is 14CF with the seats up and includes a full size spare and gas tank under it's floor. It may have a slightly longer rear end than the Model 3 (from back of rear seats to back of trunk), but not much, and it has a cargo cover below the hatch glass, so should calculate close to the same trunk head clearance, but with a higher floor. And both of my cars have an engine and misc mechanical bits where the Model 3 will have a frunk....

KennethK

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Well, as regards <100 configurations, there may be more options than stated in the previous posts, but options could be bundled hence reducing the combinations. For instance, leather seats combined with panoramic roof is one selection. Something like that.

Jean Théoret

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
I know, I know, @samson ... and still believe I'll love the car as I've grown to want it so much...
Sorry for venting a bit excessively, y'all... the cargo space got me over the edge... in addition to this perpetual 'But why don't you 'just' buy an S, Mr. Russo?' selling pitch... !! :mad:

Sure I would, if I could... even the lowest battery size with minimal frills... yet then there would be no more money to pay for the divorce from my (definitively always very human) OTHER... (;), @Badback !).

Not.An.Option.

So, ok... trailer hitch, anyone ? :D
I'm a late reservation holder and I should get my M3 by the end of 2018, early 2019. At that time I should get the options I want. (hopefully) But if I where an early reservation holder and learned that Tesla will not give me what I want... or wait later, I would have been really unhappy. Mr Musk said that no competitor will produce a better car, better cargo capacity. Standard features: painted glass standard, 0-60 under 6 sec. 215 miles range, there will be version that will go much faster '' at Tesla, we dont make slow cars and of course, supercharging standard'' Now that they approching production, they withdraw options. It's like showing a chocolat bar to a child and not giving it... That frustrating!

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Once again, if that is true, it is rather dismaying. If the frunk is as little as 3 ft³, that means the Model ☰ trunk would be considerably smaller than that of a BMW 3-Series at maybe 11 ft³. From my own analysis of photos showing the interior of both, I do not believe that to be the case.

Someone in another discussion told me that the EPA's calculations for the cargo capacity for Model S did NOT include the frunk at all. I found that interesting, decided to agree to disagree, and dropped the subject. With a listed 14 ft³ size for the Model ☰ trunk, I'm thinking that other guy was right. Because this is 1 ft³ less than Honda Civic and 1 ft³ more than a BMW 3-Series.

Take a look at this:j

Those are the official luggage volume listings for those cars. I would expect the Model ☰ luggage volume to exceed that of the 320i by default in the trunk. And adding the volume of the frunk to that should be more than the Challenger.

Tesla lists the cargo volume for the frunk and back separately and together: 31.6 cubic feet total. Just a bit more than stated on the fact sheet

https://www.tesla.com/support/model-s-specifications

Model 3 is listed as 14 cubic feet on the same sheet so we have to assume they mean total combined as well

Steve C

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Something tells me as I am definitely going to bed soon that this thread will explode the 1,000 mark by the time I wake up at 9:30 pm PT... :D

Good night folks...!
What a day. I feel your frustration @Michael Russo.

A part of me feels like this. S and X sales have dipped more in the last few months with the anticipation of the Model 3 coming to market.
I'm not sure if Musk is just trying to get more sales for the S and X as they are getting better and quicker on the line or that sales have vanished. (That wouldn't be good either)
Maybe he has cut some features on the 3 to make the S look better. - like covering up some valuable storage capacity (kidding - sort of).

We plan on taking the 3 on a family road trip soon after taking delivery and the storage space is a bit concerning.

There are some things to look forward to by the end of the year. (6 months)
-S/X battery upgrade to the 2160
-automated superchargers
-faster supercharging
-Model 3 final reveal
-Semi reveal
-Model 3 moustache. (Lol. Had to put it in there)

I do wish Elon would stfu already with underselling the 3. It is getting annoying to be honest. Like honestly.

My father in law likes nice cars. Currently driving a 2017 Lexus GS. He has put a deposit down as well, but I can't help but think that by the way Musk is making it sound, that he will be quite disappointed in what we are getting.

He's making it sound like the Model 3 is more of a comparison to a Hyundai then a BMW or AUDI. (Hyundai has come a long way actually).

The competition is getting fierce. Tesla cannot afford to slow down. Let's get those awd versions out sooner than later with more models coming asap.

Tesla has awoken the giants.

Last edited:

Steve C

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
And to be clear.... a large part of me see's all this as a smoke screen.

I'm sure we are all going to be very happy with what we are getting.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What a day. I feel your frustration @Michael Russo.

A part of me feels like this. S and X sales have dipped more in the last few months with the anticipation of the Model 3 coming to market.
I'm not sure if Musk is just trying to get more sales for the S and X as they are getting better and quicker on the line or that sales have vanished. (That wouldn't be good either)
Maybe he has cut some features on the 3 to make the S look better. - like covering up some valuable storage capacity (kidding - sort of).

We plan on taking the 3 on a family road trip soon after taking delivery and the storage space is a bit concerning.

There are some things to look forward to by the end of the year. (6 months)
-S/X battery upgrade to the 2160
-automated superchargers
-faster supercharging
-Model 3 final reveal
-Semi reveal
-Model 3 moustache. (Lol. Had to put it in there)

The competition is getting fierce. Tesla cannot afford to slow down.

I do wish Elon would stfu already with underselling the 3. It is getting annoying to be honest. Like honestly.

My father in law likes nice cars. Currently driving a 2017 Lexus GS. He has put a deposit down as well, but I can't help but think that by the way Musk is making it sound, that he will be quite disappointed in what we are getting.

He's making it sound like the Model 3 is more of a comparison to a Hyundai then a BMW or AUDI. (Hyundai has come a long way actually).

The competition is getting fierce. Tesla cannot afford to slow down. Let's get those awd versions out sooner than later with more models coming asap.

Tesla has awoken the giants.
A few thoughts...

First, its funny you reference Hyundai. I have a 2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited. Loaded the car was about $32k. Having had an Audi A4 in the past (and loving it), I find this Hyundai to be amazing value for the dollars spent. In fact I couldn't find a car better at the price point when I bought it from looks, to options, to warranty, etc.

Now that said, my car has FWD, it's slow, the screen is tiny (though it's bigger then a lot of the competition), the rims are tiny, etc.

I think even at a base configuration selling for $35k, someone would be hard pressed to buy a Hyundai Sonata over the Model 3.

I think the only feature that I will miss is the air conditioned seats since we know the Tesla won't have it.

As for Audi and BMW. At the price point, they can't touch the Tesla Model 3. Underselling and all.

UncleT

Country
Country
We should all teach Elon a good lesson and cancel our reservations. What, oh no, you first. All together then, three... two... one... cancel. What do you mean you didn't cancel? All right, never mind. ;):D