Inexplicable sudden improvement in efficiency??

cee2mee

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wondering if anyone else has encountered this -

I've had my 3LR 19" for six weeks now. My commute (SF Bay area) is 70 miles round trip. I've been getting pretty consistent efficiency of 265-270 Wh/mi... sometimes a little higher depending on my personal energy level :)

This morning, on my normal commute, I got 206 Wh/mi !??!? It's such a drastic improvement that I don't trust it. Wondering if it's misreading the battery level or something. Has anyone seen something similar? To reiterate, my driving style has not changed day to day. This was mostly freeway (I-280), 65-75mph for 30 miles, then ~5 miles city.

Thanks!

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I can't explain it, but I've seen it.
Today I drove 150 miles on my sport wheels. One 50 mile chunk of it was done on the freeway at 53 mph average speed and averaged 198 Wh/mi. And this was with an elevation gain of 311 feet, by the way. However, it was done right after a supercharger stop, so the trip did not need to include any battery conditioning like it would on a cold morning.

For reference, 198 Wh/mi implies a range of 378 miles—if it could be maintained, which I doubt it could.

However, the car very reliably averages out to 264 Wh/mi over longer distances (including 2,600 miles since I got it).

Part of the lesson may be: if you're having range anxiety, drive slowly. I was in traffic and had no choice.

Data from Teslafi (a must-have service for data junkies):