Increasing suspension travel and/or lifting (was: Model 3 Offroaders!)

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I tried Discount Tires and although they were bound by corporate policy to require XL load rated tires for mounting on Tesla Model 3 applications...
You could always just take the wheels in unmounted if you feel confident that you don't need an XL load rating. Or tell them it's for some other car.

dagal

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi, I am planning out my version of a "Allroad" Model 3 with Mad Max looks, among the mods I have looked into getting the Mountain Pass lift kit, 1.75" and combine it with the new Avon AX7 tires, they come in 235/55R18 XL, and a proper load rating (104) (https://www.avontyres.com/en-gb/tyre-details/45304/avon-ax7/?cartype=car|suv&speed=K) anyone think these tires will fit with the steering knuckle? Maybe with a narrow 8’’ rim?

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have the MPP lift and just now passed 10,000 miles of driving on it. Still getting an average of 256 kWh per mile. Aeros seem to make more of a difference than the lift. Anyway, regarding dagal's question - I don't see how you could fit any larger tires than stock without doing something like a wheel offset on the front. The back tires are fine, and there is nothing in the way of a larger tire up there. But you will likely need to do some spacers to bump the wheels out wider in the front to clear that steering knuckle. Of course, when you do that, you will get less range because the aerodynamics will be off, and further you'll get mud and dirt sprayed all over the side of the car without some specially modified mud flaps. Each modification comes with a tradeoff.

I have found that using stock wheels and the MPP lift giving 7 inches of clearance to be an almost zero trade off situation, because the handling and economy are the same, but you get more clearance. It is a win-win. Putting larger tires on is something I've thought would be cool too, but too much modification and a sharper trade off.

dagal

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Has anyone a measure of the steering knuckle-tire distance? Thanks High Desert Model 3, I’ve come to realize that almost nothing will fit and be safe, I just need all terrain tires and they are hard to find. I can do a 7,5mm offset change + a 225 tire on a 7,5 inch rim, which should distance the tire about 15 mm form the steering knuckle, but crude measurements I’ve done leaves me thinking that will not help, but I will try to fit a 235/50r18 tire. I got mountains to cross here, range is not an issue, we got super chargers on every corner over here in Norway.

Last edited:

SkyPower

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@dagal Hi to Norway,
I'm just guessing from the pics above, if I take a look at the diameter of the screw at the "steering knuckle" it would be - calculated/theoretically - quite close to zero, as your tire is 1,3 cm closer than the 17" from above (regarding to reifenrechner.at). As I just ordered a Model 3 and the 1,75"-lift-kit, I could measure that exacly in a couple of weeks then.
Best regards from Germany,
Stefan

TBarretH

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Really glad I found this thread, thanks for all the info. For those that have installed the lift kits, I'm curious what other cars you've driven in the past and how you would compare your lifted model 3's performance in "Soft Roading" conditions.

Back story, I don't own a car now, but just moved to Seattle where I want to get one for doing hiking, climbing, camping and skiing. Previously I owned a Subaru Outback for about 10 years and loved the car. I'm considering getting a new outback, but love the environmental friendliness of Teslas, and other EVs. So I'm wondering if a lifted Model 3 AWD would get me to 90%+ of the locations I would take my outback to (I know range is another consideration, but right now more just thinking about road quality). So not looking for "off roading" just driving on poorly maintained forest service roads, through washed out desert dirt roads, etc.

Any thoughts from those who have the kits? Where have you taken your model 3?

orekart

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
... So I'm wondering if a lifted Model 3 AWD would get me to 90%+ of the locations I would take my outback to (I know range is another consideration, but right now more just thinking about road quality). So not looking for "off roading" just driving on poorly maintained forest service roads, through washed out desert dirt roads, etc.

Any thoughts from those who have the kits? Where have you taken your model 3?
...not on the Rubicon Trail!

Model Y or Truck might offer some improvements in that regard.

What you can do today is a lightweight motorcycle trailer and an EV moto like the Zero FX or DSR. I had a DSR it is ideal for what you describe and the efficiency is awesome. Chuck some solar PV in the tow vehicle and leave town.

TBarretH

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
lol, not looking for Rubicon Trail level performance, just the ability to get to campgrounds and trail heads that might be up a dirt road that doesn't get graded that often. Unfortunately the AWD model 3 is already pushing the top end of my budget, so getting a EV dirt bike to tow around with it isn't really an option.

dagal

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi @SkyPower, I have not found any homologation documentation from Mountainpass lift kit, so i´m going to get something German made with TÜV approval, but it will probably just lift about 2.5 cm + whatever lift i get from slightly bigger tires, still makes a big difference when the roads get covered in snow or driving on gravel roads. Think this will be ready by the beginning of November! My insurance will not cover anything if I drive with a lift kit that has not been approved by TÜV, so it is not really an option.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi folks, thanks for what seems to be the most complete reports on this lift kit.

I have the parts from MPP and have a local installer lined up. Do @orekart or any others have any new revelations, regerts, or lessons to pass on?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi folks, thanks for what seems to be the most complete reports on this lift kit.

I have the parts from MPP and have a local installer lined up. Do @orekart or any others have any new revelations, regerts, or lessons to pass on?
I have pictures and notes to share (and somehow got totally distracted). Direct message me get in touch and we can put together a checklist for you to "labratory rat" if it's any good or needs corrections.

c2c

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Regrets? Only that the box truck 7 lengths ahead tossed a rock at my windshield. 18 inch crack.
About the lift? Nope. no regrets. I think about the lift every time I ingess and egress. 14000 miles with the lift in place.