Increase Home Charging speed with battery?

slacker775

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Now that I've entered the world of wireless phone charging and have my Nomad charger in my M3, I started thinking - could it be possible to increase home charging speeds if the wall charger could get extra juice from a local battery. In my home situation, I'm limited to 30A charging due to the fairly low capacity of my main feed. Yeah, I know I could probably bump it to 50A or 60A and try to juggle appliance usage to avoid tripping the main breaker but I have a life and don't want to be worrying about crap like that.

Seeing how something like the Nomad has a local battery to be able to do higher power charging, could a similar setup w/ a wall charger allow a base feed of something like 20-30A to put out something more like 50-60A? Maybe even bump up to 80A or so, depending on circumstances? I use the home charger only every couple days so a battery would have lots of time to recharge between usage.

Pipe dream? Perhaps possible? Would cost too much to be worthwhile?

jsmay311

Country
Country
Perhaps possible? Would cost too much to be worthwhile?
Perhaps. And yes (IMO).

Even if such a product existed, the money would be better spent upgrading your electrical service. And spending significant $ to charge any faster than 30A is overrated, IMO. On a 30A circuit (assuming that's what you mean), the Model 3 charges at 22mph. A 12 hour charge overnight at 22mph is 264 miles -- almost a full charge. The max with the UMC is 30mph -- not that much higher. And installing a HPWC would cost even more.

Last edited:

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Now that I've entered the world of wireless phone charging and have my Nomad charger in my M3, I started thinking - could it be possible to increase home charging speeds if the wall charger could get extra juice from a local battery. In my home situation, I'm limited to 30A charging due to the fairly low capacity of my main feed. Yeah, I know I could probably bump it to 50A or 60A and try to juggle appliance usage to avoid tripping the main breaker but I have a life and don't want to be worrying about crap like that.

Seeing how something like the Nomad has a local battery to be able to do higher power charging, could a similar setup w/ a wall charger allow a base feed of something like 20-30A to put out something more like 50-60A? Maybe even bump up to 80A or so, depending on circumstances? I use the home charger only every couple days so a battery would have lots of time to recharge between usage.

Pipe dream? Perhaps possible? Would cost too much to be worthwhile?
Yea, it's not really a big problem. First you've got to get a battery big enough to charge a LR Battery from a specific state of charge. That may suggest either 1.5 or 2 times the battery size. That's probably $15k - $20k. You've then got to get an inverter that can charge it. That can vary, depending on how fast you want to charge it, but let's pull a number out of the hat, $2k. And then you've got to get a high current AC inverter to get to 90A, I'm going to guess maybe $10k. I may be well low in all the numbers.

APC makes a UPS that supports this amount, but their prices are all "Contact Sales"

It may be cheaper to buy another Model 3.