In Europe, What type of Model 3 have you ordered ?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

In Europe, what type of Model 3 have you ordered ?

• Performance

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • Long Range AWD

Votes: 46 62.2%
  • None, still waiting for LR RWD

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • None, still waiting for MR

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • None, still waiting for SR

Votes: 4 5.4%

• Total voters

Samsaggace

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Dear European colleagues
I open this poll to have a picture of your recent choices after design studio opening for Model 3 reservation holders
Please fill it as soon as you order
Thanks

Tronkus

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Any official word about LR RWD being in production again?? IMHO the introduction of MR and removal of LR RWD was a master move from Tesla (commercially speaking of course). I don’t expect it to come back, though I’d wish to

Samsaggace

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Any official word about LR RWD being in production again?? IMHO the introduction of MR and removal of LR RWD was a master move from Tesla (commercially speaking of course). I don’t expect it to come back, though I’d wish to
I don't know exactly what is your definition of "master move" but in my opinion it's a deep mistake:
- The LR sales seems to be decreasing in the US (waiting time less than 1 month - far better than BMW )
- LR RWD was the best compromise price/efficiency in all types
- MR is not optimized
That was only made to satisfy (few) US newcomers to EV before tax credit decrease by end 2018.
We will scrutinize Q4 results to see if any additional benefit come from MR introduction....

Tronkus

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Commercially speaking, with the elimination of LR RWD and introduction of MR instead they are doing a lot of customers at least to think in the possibility of buying a more expensive product that they should have never even considered in case LR RWD was still present.

In my particular case, I had very clear from the beginning that LR RWD was my choice, as to me the range is the driving factor. Now I am seriously considering AWD just because of the LR battery, which means that I will most probably be paying around 4-5 thousand euros more than I wanted (and to have a product with less range than expected!)

Having said that, I fully agree that efficiency and customer satisfaction should be parameters to be taken into account by Tesla, but in the end they are a company, not an NGO... That’s why I have some doubts on LR AWD coming back to production

JeffC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My interpretation is that MR was created as an alternative to SR to incentivize people who wanted to get the full U.S. Federal tax credit to order before the end of 2018. Due to the gradual reduction in the tax credit after 2018, the MR probably costs nearly the same as the SR after 2018. So in essence MR buyers today pay the same price as SR buyers after 2018 due to the tax difference, basically getting the added range for free. So MR was an incentive for people waiting for SR to order now.

In terms of engineering, the MR battery pack was a relatively simple modification of the LR battery pack, while the SR pack has larger differences.

Economically, MR is also a good fit to the existing battery costs. SR will be a better fit later when the battery costs continue to fall due to economies of scale.

So MR is very much optimized to current battery costs, U.S. tax incentives, SR buyer demand, and existing battery pack design. Seen in that light, MR is an interesting and clever way to get SR buyers to order before the end of 2018.

As I mentioned on the European ordering thread, LR single motor was my first choice due to the maximal efficiency and range, but I enjoyed the performance of Model 3 Performance.

Regarding LR AWD, the reason for it's prominence is that an unexpectedly large portion of Model 3 buyers chose it over LR single motor. So eliminating LR single motor was a way to both cater to the heavy AWD demand and drive SR buyers to MR.

It all fits together, taken in that sense.

That all said, long term I expect LR single motor and SR single motor to be available again in future, perhaps after some of the initial U.S., EU, and Asia Model 3 backlog is met.

Last edited:

Tronkus

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
My interpretation is that MR was created as an alternative to SR to incentivize people who wanted to get the full U.S. Federal tax credit to order before the end of 2018. Due to the gradual reduction in the tax credit after 2018, the MR probably costs nearly the same as the SR after 2018. So in essence MR buyers today pay the same price as SR buyers after 2018 due to the tax difference, basically getting the added range for free. So MR was an incentive for people waiting for SR to order now.

In terms of engineering, the MR battery pack was a relatively simple modification of the LR battery pack, while the SR back has larger differences.

Economically, MR is also a good fit to the existing battery costs. SR will be a better fit later when the costs continue to fall due to economies of scale.

So MR is very much optimized to current cell costs, U.S. tax incentives, SR buyers, and existing battery pack design. Seen in that light, MR is an interesting and clever way to get SR buyers to order before the end of 2018.

As I mentioned on the European ordering thread, LR single motor was my first choice due to the maximal efficiency and range, but I enjoyed the performance of Model 3 Performance.

Regarding LR AWD, the reason for it's prominence is that an unexpectedly large portion of Model 3 buyers chose it over LR single motor. So eliminating LR single motor was a way to both cater to the heavy AWD demand and drive SR buyers to MR.

It all fits together, taken in that sense.

That all said, long term I expect LR single motor and SR single motor to be available again in future, perhaps after some of the initial U.S., EU, and Asia Model 3 backlog is met.
Nice analysis. Hope you are right with the last bullet. In Spain (nice weather 9 months out of 12) I don’t see any added value for AWD vs RWD

Samsaggace

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Jeff C Thanks for your opinion, fully in line with all I have heard from US side after LR RWD removal.
IMHO, that's pure marketing approach with no real technically proven background :
- LR sales are not so flourishing in the US
- LR AWD is less efficient in range
- MR battery concept is sub-optimum
- Performance is mainly for US (no record of any order in EU forum as of today) and could be proposed as additional on-demand

Swann

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Jeff C Thanks for your opinion, fully in line with all I have heard from US side after LR RWD removal.
IMHO, that's pure marketing approach with no real technically proven background :
- Performance is mainly for US (no record of any order in EU forum as of today) and could be proposed as additional on-demand
Performance model is very expensive for Europeans. Basically the price of LR AWD here is the price of Performance in the US...

PerErik

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The AWD vs Perfomance ratio is very different in Sweden. Lots of people are ordering performance.
51 AWD vs 29 Performance on Swedish Tesla forum

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The AWD vs Perfomance ratio is very different in Sweden. Lots of people are ordering performance.
After ordering, call Tesla and ask to add a current owner's referral code to your order. It will give you six months of free supercharging.
So far, it sounds like you can only do this when ordering a Performance, but I'd still try with other orders too until we get a more definitive answer from Tesla.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My interpretation is that MR was created as an alternative to SR to incentivize people who wanted to get the full U.S. Federal tax credit to order before the end of 2018.
Yep. The MR was a hack to get a cheaper version of the three available quickly.
That all said, long term I expect LR single motor and SR single motor to be available again in future
I have a feeling that the LR single motor will not be returning. I bet you'll only be able to get a RWD car with the smaller battery. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I bet Tesla will do this to nudge more people into purchasing the more profitable AWD vehicles.

G-Stam

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I'm missing the alternative "None, still waiting for the tow hook".

EDIT:
Ok, my bad. :) Missing: ""None, still waiting for the tow hitch."

In Swedish its called - "Drag krok" - "Tow hook". Google translate and you will understand why you se us typing this wrong so often.

Last edited:

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
After ordering, call Tesla and ask to add a current owner's referral code to your order. It will give you six months of free supercharging.
So far, it sounds like you can only do this when ordering a Performance, but I'd still try with other orders too until we get a more definitive answer from Tesla.
Yes, try it yet I’ve been told definitively. However anyone who does order Performance should for sure do it to get the free 6 months Supercharger access... Always nice to have!

PerErik

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yep. The MR was a hack to get a cheaper version of the three available quickly.

I have a feeling that the LR single motor will not be returning. I bet you'll only be able to get a RWD car with the smaller battery. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I bet Tesla will do this to nudge more people into purchasing the more profitable AWD vehicles.
What do you think about SR AWD? I know lots of people are waiting for that configuration, but will it make it to market? I'm not so sure