If you had to choose one - EAP vs Ceramic Coating

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

If you had to choose one - EAP vs Ceramic Coating

• Total voters
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I’m facing the tough decision of EAP vs Autopilot to control cost. Which would you choose? Is there another option I’m missing altogether? I’ve ordered a MR Model 3. This will not be changed due to hope for end of year delivery for full tax rebate.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I was going to go find a DIY Ceramic Coating thread and paste it for you, but there are too many threads around that topic. Top right - search for "Ceramic Coatings". You'll find pricing all over the place, but you'll see many that are very reasonable and DIY. They don't come anywhere close to offsetting a feature like EAP. Depending on your situation you may find that normal wash and care and wax are all you need. Ceramic coatings have become the rage and even I have been amazed as the beading of water and what seems to be protection, but I have no long term review, only 4 months worth. Have no regrets doing it myself and only have a couple hundred bucks invested.

If you have much of a commute or travel a lot, you'll never regret the EAP purchase.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I was going to go find a DIY Ceramic Coating thread and paste it for you, but there are too many threads around that topic. Top right - search for "Ceramic Coatings". You'll find pricing all over the place, but you'll see many that are very reasonable and DIY. They don't come anywhere close to offsetting a feature like EAP. Depending on your situation you may find that normal wash and care and wax are all you need. Ceramic coatings have become the rage and even I have been amazed as the beading of water and what seems to be protection, but I have no long term review, only 4 months worth. Have no regrets doing it myself and only have a couple hundred bucks invested.

If you have much of a commute or travel a lot, you'll never regret the EAP purchase.
I’m afraid I would mess this up. I’ve read that the paint is soft so that’s why I should get ceramic. It would cost much less than EAP. However, I feel like EAP is a crucial element of the car. I would be spending much more than I had planned for EAP.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
These are definitely personal decisions. There are many that don't get EAP and there are many that never do anything to their car other than drive it and go through a drive thru wash once a month. It will truly come down to what is important to you.

You can read all day about how Tesla paint is "soft" and you'll find many who obsess over it and find it to be a fault. I think those of us on these forums are a fraction of the Model 3 owners and those of us that are here love the car, obsess over the car and like doing everything we can to baby it. There are huge numbers of owners that never read a forum like this, or ever think about coatings and waxes and just drive them. If you like your car looking nice and clean every day and really want it to shine, a good wax or coating is likely in your future. EAP is not meant for everyone. Even some that drive a lot and put many miles on their cars EAP isn't for them.

Again - each of these I would evaluate, but these are not the two things I'd weigh against each other. I also don't know your skill set and how closely you look at the paint, but if you read up on the coating and don't get into a lot of the "paint correction" the DIY coatings aren't any harder than waxing, in fact, without paint correction, they are easier. You take a look at the car in the sun after you take delivery. If you don't see imperfections and swirls, just clean it good and add the coating.

What color did you get? Some colors are more forgiving than others too.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
These are definitely personal decisions. There are many that don't get EAP and there are many that never do anything to their car other than drive it and go through a drive thru wash once a month. It will truly come down to what is important to you.

You can read all day about how Tesla paint is "soft" and you'll find many who obsess over it and find it to be a fault. I think those of us on these forums are a fraction of the Model 3 owners and those of us that are here love the car, obsess over the car and like doing everything we can to baby it. There are huge numbers of owners that never read a forum like this, or ever think about coatings and waxes and just drive them. If you like your car looking nice and clean every day and really want it to shine, a good wax or coating is likely in your future. EAP is not meant for everyone. Even some that drive a lot and put many miles on their cars EAP isn't for them.

Again - each of these I would evaluate, but these are not the two things I'd weigh against each other. I also don't know your skill set and how closely you look at the paint, but if you read up on the coating and don't get into a lot of the "paint correction" the DIY coatings aren't any harder than waxing, in fact, without paint correction, they are easier. You take a look at the car in the sun after you take delivery. If you don't see imperfections and swirls, just clean it good and add the coating.

What color did you get? Some colors are more forgiving than others too.
Black exterior with white and black interior. May be regretting this but wanted to save on exterior paint to potentially add EAP.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I’ve read that the paint is soft so that’s why I should get ceramic.
don't get too hung up on people saying Tesla's paint is 'soft'. Many others are the same, and detailers will tell you they prefer a soft paint than hard paint. not because they get a returning customer to re-polish it, but because it is easier to remove surface swirls and everyday use light scratches than a hard paint.

Scubastevo80

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
EAP is $5k, ceramic coat plus paint protection film on your entire front end is half that price. Do you care more about the software functionality or protecting your car from environmental factors?

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
EAP is $5k, ceramic coat plus paint protection film on your entire front end is half that price. Do you care more about the software functionality or protecting your car from environmental factors?
Both may be needed at some point. I plan on driving the car for a long time. I may be able to just wash and wax regularly to keep it shiny. Quote that I got for triple coat ceramic is around $1800.

Scubastevo80

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Where in PA are you? The guy that most of us use in central NJ will do opti coat pro for half that price. After the front of my prior car was rock chipped to death I decided to get ppf and opticoat pro.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Where in PA are you? The guy that most of us use in central NJ will do opti coat pro for half that price. After the front of my prior car was rock chipped to death I decided to get ppf and opticoat pro.
Just north of Philly. I could probably hit NJ. Which place are we talking about? I may be in.

Scubastevo80

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Signature Detailing in Hillside - when I had my car there a week ago Greg (owner) had a blue model 3, a model S and a McLaren all in for ppf. Prices are reasonable and he warranties all his film. I believe NJturtlePower wrote a review on his experience there.

Gavyne

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
EAP for sure. Since you're buying the car you can finance it and it doesn't cost that much when you spread it out to 5-6 years. With ceramic coating, you can always save up for it after you have the car.

Enhanced Autopilot is what will make your car look like an alien spaceship to your friends and family. Yes we can always make people squeal with Model 3's acceleration, or impress them with the touchscreen and beautiful car design. But auto steer, lane keeping, traffic aware cruise control, summon, auto park, and now navigate on autopilot are things that will make people drop their jaws in disbelieve. I recommend EAP to everybody who's buying a Model 3, no matter what version you are buying.

Now, I'm a proponent for PPF and ceramic coating. At the very least you should get the front wrapped, bumper + hood or just the bumper. PPF will help you with these high impact areas. Ceramic coating is a no brainer if you are getting the PPF done, because it compliments PPF well and will make your car easier to clean and protect it from elements. You can get frontal PPF + ceramic coating done for less than 2k. So I would recommend asking around while you save up the money for it. Some shops are busy and you would have to book months ahead. That should give you time to save up some money.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
EAP, no question. Ceramic coatings, in my book aren't needed. I've had many cars, none with any special coating, all sold at above average cost. If the car is going to be a showroom car, then maybe, but drive it instead, and that's where EAP comes in.

Norm Rechtman

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Yes, get EAP, if you can wax a car, you can ceramic coat it yourself, I watched several YouTube videos to understand the process and bought the materials recommended.

I’d be happy to explain it to you and help.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I vote EAP as well. Debated for a while before I pulled the trigger (added EAP after putting in my order). Did not regret having it. Makes driving in the Bay Area less PITA. I would point out however both options can be added after you purchase the car. You can demo EAP after delivery to help you determine if you want it (difference in price you pay is $1k.)

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I vote EAP as well. Debated for a while before I pulled the trigger (added EAP after putting in my order). Did not regret having it. Makes driving in the Bay Area less PITA. I would point out however both options can be added after you purchase the car. You can demo EAP after delivery to help you determine if you want it (difference in price you pay is $1k.)
Once I have a Vin I’ll try to add at the delivery facility. I’m guessing I’ll just need to pay cash to cover the $5000 over the loan amount.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Why do you need to wait for the vin? You can ask Tesla to add EAP as an option to your order at anytime (at least that was what i did and It didn't mess with my august delivery date). If you do that, you'll be able to finance the cost of the EAP.