If I could custom configure my UI, I would......

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
After my test drive, I was struck by some of the initial awkwardness of the current UI iteration.

As I have posted elsewhere, one of my issues was not being able to confirm (in my peripheral vision) that my turn signals were engaged.

If the UI could be customized (much like ones own desktop or smart phone)........

.....I would (as mentioned in post #24 of https://teslaownersonline.com/threa...issue-after-my-model-3-test-drive.5583/page-2 and reproduced below:

As for the specific blinker icons, if I could custom configure them, they would be:
  • only visible when active ("transparent" when not active)
  • located in the absolute upper left/right of the UI (much like a desktop "widget")
  • 2.5 cm in diameter
This would allow confirmation of the blinker being active via peripheral vision without moving my focus from the traffic situation ahead.

My second customization would deal with wiper controls.

Here is the current (stock software) iteration (page 49 of Model 3 owners manual):

wiper_washer_inst.PNG
My customization would add the following software changes:

To turn on the slow (no delay) windshield wipers immediately, press and immediately release the button on the end of the left hand steering column lever two (2) times within one (1) second (thus, two (2) quick taps).

To turn on the fast (no delay) windshield wipers, press and immediately release the button on the end of the left hand steering column lever three (3) times within one (1) second (thus, three (3) quick taps).

Anytime the wipers are turned on with the button on the end of the stalk, the wiper dialog box (that currently appears when touching the wiper icon) would appear as it currently does, but cover the (whole) bottom 80% of the UI screen for three seconds.

If the wipers have just been turned on, the driver will not care if the GPS map (or music selection, or whatever) is covered by the wiper controls for three seconds.

With the wiper control dialog box taking up the full width of the UI and most of the height of the UI (except the band where the vehicle speed shows) for three seconds, the options for "delay fast" or "delay slow" would be large enough that only peripheral vision would be needed to hit the "correct 1/3" of the whole UI to get delay wiper.

Under all conditions, turning the wipers completely off is the same as demanding a single swipe, just a single press of the button on the end of the stalk results in "a single wipe"......and hence off after that single wipe.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My customizations would be to make better use of the steering wheel scroll wheels. As we saw in a few reviews now EAP speed/follow settings would be a perfect fit there.

Also, I’d like to see the calendar sync from phone make the UI and allow me to pick from my calendar for navigation with ease!

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
My customizations would be to make better use of the steering wheel scroll wheels. As we saw in a few reviews now EAP speed/follow settings would be a perfect fit there.

Also, I’d like to see the calendar sync from phone make the UI and allow me to pick from my calendar for navigation with ease!
I think one of the best parts of the Model 3 UI are the non hard-wired scroll wheels. Through software their functions can be changed to suit as the car and software matures. On the S the scrolls wheels are pretty much hardwired to volume and scroll through options on the right side mostly because the steering wheels has 4 other buttons that are also hard wired.

By eliminating those buttons on the Model 3 it freed Tesla to rethink how they could iterate the UI as it matures. While on the subject, I really do like the Model 3 horizontal screen from an ergonomic perspective, it really is better. However when I compare it to our car with the vertical screen the inability of doing split-screen functions is rather limiting given the situational awareness takes up 1/3 of the screen permanently. Maybe sometime in the future the UI will be even more refined to bring us a different take on the layout all allow for a bit more flexibility.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think one of the best parts of the Model 3 UI are the non hard-wired scroll wheels. Through software their functions can be changed to suit as the car and software matures. On the S the scrolls wheels are pretty much hardwired to volume and scroll through options on the right side mostly because the steering wheels has 4 other buttons that are also hard wired.

By eliminating those buttons on the Model 3 it freed Tesla to rethink how they could iterate the UI as it matures. While on the subject, I really do like the Model 3 horizontal screen from an ergonomic perspective, it really is better. However when I compare it to our car with the vertical screen the inability of doing split-screen functions is rather limiting given the situational awareness takes up 1/3 of the screen permanently. Maybe sometime in the future the UI will be even more refined to bring us a different take on the layout all allow for a bit more flexibility.
Well said Trev. Those who say the steering wheel is the way it is for “cost savings” are missing the point. It allows for ultimate configurable flexibility as the car evolves!

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
My customizations would be to make better use of the steering wheel scroll wheels.
I really hope this is the near future for the Model 3, there is so much potential with those scroll wheels.

Based on some ideas from arnis found at post #57 at this thread:

https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/any-data-points-for-vampire-drain-yet.5346/page-3#post-65301

......I'd also propose another software option, that of "Airport/long term parking mode".
  • selection only available when the vehicle is in park and has >19% battery charge remaining
  • if selection is "yes", then a dialog box appears asking for a return date and time
  • after the estimated return date and time is entered, the car software downloads the closest meteorological station weather forecast for (if required) up to the next seven days, followed by an algorithm of days eight thru 14 of forecasts (smoothed with historical data), followed by 15 days (and beyond) with historical data.
  • the software then predicts the expected battery state of charge upon arrival and confirms at least 10% battery charge will remain upon arrival before confirming "do you really want to engage airport/long term parking mode?"
  • if the selection is "yes" again, then the car will enter "deep sleep" in 60 minutes and will not wake up until 30 minutes before the previously entered expected return date/time
  • when the estimated return date and time arrives, the car wakes up and sends a message to your smart-phone with the % of battery charge remaining and asks, "Do you want battery conditioning to allow immediate supercharging after restart?"
  • as long as >10% battery charge remains, the battery will be allowed to pre-condition for supercharging
If someone tampers with the car in this mode it will:
  • immediately wake up
  • flash the lights and honk the horn for 60 seconds
  • use all the autopilot cameras to record and send live-stream video of what is currently happening to both the owners smart phone as well as Tesla.
If one arrives early, one can cancel this mode and ask for an immediate wake up via the app.

If one arrives late, the app will ask if you want to set a new ETA to retain airport/long term parking mode for an additional amount of time.

McHoffa

EV.network
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The first thing that stood out to me in the UI of the Model 3 was the turn signals.

They don't catch your eye at all. Currently it consists of a small green circle that stays lit while a tiny white arrow blinks inside it. See 8:40 in this video for an example.

My suggestion would be to make the circle larger, in the corners of the drive section of the UI, and have the entire circle blink to really stand out, like this (ignore the speed of the blinking as gfycat messed up the animation speed)

Anyone else have UI/UX design suggestions?

Dogwhistle

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would like to see a “Minimum” mode. Black out the whole screen other than the essential driving info on the left. Sometimes I just don’t feel like looking at a bunch of stuff on a screen, especially at night! I know the constant map will drive my wife nuts, she already comments when it’s pulled up around the local area “don’t you know where you’re going” !!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I know the constant map will drive my wife nuts, she already comments when it’s pulled up around the local area “don’t you know where you’re going” !!
I've learned to love having a map available at all times, at least if it can display traffic conditions & alternate routes. Google Maps Navigation has saved me from being stuck in hour(s)-long delays a handful of times over the years.

Even for short, local trips, I like to know about accidents delaying traffic by 5-10 minutes so I can take a different route.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would like to see a “Minimum” mode. Black out the whole screen other than the essential driving info on the left. Sometimes I just don’t feel like looking at a bunch of stuff on a screen, especially at night! I know the constant map will drive my wife nuts, she already comments when it’s pulled up around the local area “don’t you know where you’re going” !!
The other modules overlay over the Map... for instance Music can be expanded to essentially 98% of the right 2/3’s if you didn’t want to see the Map.

skygraff

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've learned to love having a map available at all times, at least if it can display traffic conditions & alternate routes. Google Maps Navigation has saved me from being stuck in hour(s)-long delays a handful of times over the years.

Even for short, local trips, I like to know about accidents delaying traffic by 5-10 minutes so I can take a different route.
I agreed with Digwhistle's post because I really like a dark interior when driving at night but I appreciate your point, Garsh.

Maybe a declutter mode that could be customizable:

e.g.

blacked out map with automatic display when trigger events (traffic, construction, etc.) are within a specified distance (perhaps with some neural net predictive algorithm about whether you're heading toward the concern),

blacked out driver info except for speed but pop up if there's a significant status change,

put directions in the driver info side below the speed when on long journeys per the navigation settings (pop up driver info if there's a significant status change), etc.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
1. I want the Glovebox Open icon to be on the quick-access black strip (maybe next to the Music volume). It's a bit annoying to have to open the second menu just to open the glovebox. It could be deactivated/invisible if valet mode was engaged for security reasons.

2. I want the clock digital display somewhere on the left-hand side of the screen, closer to the driver peripheral view. Having it on the extreme right corner of the 15-inch screen requires more time for my eyeballs to find it, which I don't like.

3. Nav directions should be reverted to left-hand side of screen.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Here is an example of why I want the wiper controls changed to my proposal at the start of this thread:

At the Facebook link below, select posts and scroll down until you find this (under 20 second long) video (screen shot of said post):
Screenshot_2018-01-12-12-26-04.png

The situation you will watch will, IMHO, end up leading people to get into crashes because too much time is being spent dealing with awkward mini-me dialog boxes.

Simple multiple taps of the button at the end of the stalk to initiate single, low speed, high speed....coupled with a dialog box that is HUGE, so nobody has to use direct vision to select what type of delay setting they want.....

https://www.facebook.com/tsla3/

McHoffa

EV.network
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here is an example of why I want the wiper controls changed to my proposal at the start of this thread:

At the Facebook link below, select posts and scroll down until you find this (under 20 second long) video (screen shot of said post):
View attachment 4963

The situation you will watch will, IMHO, end up leading people to get into crashes because too much time is being spent dealing with awkward mini-me dialog boxes.

Simple multiple taps of the button at the end of the stalk to initiate single, low speed, high speed....coupled with a dialog box that is HUGE, so nobody has to use direct vision to select what type of delay setting they want.....

https://www.facebook.com/tsla3/
Watching the video, I think the level the wipers were at were fine, but I guess for some people they want higher speed for the same amount of rain. In addition to your suggestion for manual control, there should also be a setting for auto wipers to be either light or aggressive, so for the same amount of rain they would either be slower or faster based on preference.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Watching the video, I think the level the wipers were at were fine, but I guess for some people they want higher speed for the same amount of rain
And that's the situation we find ourselves in right now.

Software engineers who wrote this code may be totally happy with the speed of the wipers in this scenario......but if another driver has a lower comfort threshold for the scenario being experienced, that other driver should not have to jump thru hoops to get a solution that is correct for them.

I wonder, does Tesla have something akin to a flight simulator for their cars, where real people can actually test use these primary driver controls in simulated high traffic, bad weather situations where one's ability to take on more mental workload is limited by said situation?

It seems the software, for primary driver controls, is being artificially kept in the left most third of the UI....yet (for example) HVAC vents have a huge dialog box to play with......

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Software engineers who wrote this code may be totally happy with the speed of the wipers in this scenario......but if another driver has a lower comfort threshold for the scenario being experienced, that other driver should not have to jump thru hoops to get a solution that is correct for them.

I wonder, does Tesla have something akin to a flight simulator for their cars, where real people can actually test use these primary driver controls in simulated high traffic, bad weather situations where one's ability to take on more mental workload is limited by said situation?

It seems the software, for primary driver controls, is being artificially kept in the left most third of the UI....yet (for example) HVAC vents have a huge dialog box to play with......
But engineers are real people too! Unless they're aliens... :eek:

The HVAC controls are huge, but I think it's like that because the "movement" of the buttons are pretty accurate to the way the airflow responds in real life. If the UI were smaller folks may have a harder time adjusting as exactly as they want. I wouldn't mind a smaller HVAC UI though for sure, in addition to a bunch of other tweaks, so am excited to see the UI changes down the line based on real user feedback.

Brett

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I agree with the general sentiment (more wiper controls using the single physical button) but this video is a really terrible example.

The driver is using his right hand to hold the phone/camera and is trying to reach for the screen controls using his left hand. I guess he's steering with his knees. Of course it's going to be awkward to use the on screen controls with your left hand. Your right hand, however, is perfectly placed to easily hit that button.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I agree with the general sentiment (more wiper controls using the single physical button) but this video is a really terrible example.

The driver is using his right hand to hold the phone/camera and is trying to reach for the screen controls using his left hand. I guess he's steering with his knees. Of course it's going to be awkward to use the on screen controls with your left hand. Your right hand, however, is perfectly placed to easily hit that button.
Fair enough.

I just found this review, by Edmonds. Go to 6 min 45 seconds.....

Last edited: