If I buy the over-the-air Full Self Drive package now, does that save money later on the computer?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

coredumperror

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just learned from watching the M3OC podcast (I've got a big YouTube backlog...) that those who have the Full Self Drive package get the new 3.0 computer upgrade for free. If I'd known that a month ago when I ordered my car, I would have pre-paid... But that's neither here nor there at this point. What's important is if I pay the $5000 for Full Self Drive now, does that include the cost of the computer upgrade when it comes out?

I haven't found any information on what, exactly, the computer upgrade will cost. But since existing Full Self Drive owners get it for free, it presumably will cost more than $0 if you wait to get Full Self Drive until after the computers become available. And since I've already relegated myself to paying $5000 for Full Self Drive, will it cost me even more than $5k if I wait to get FSD? I haven't been able to find any information about this question anywhere, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

noam

Country
Country
I just learned from watching the M3OC podcast (I've got a big YouTube backlog...) that those who have the Full Self Drive package get the new 3.0 computer upgrade for free. If I'd known that a month ago when I ordered my car, I would have pre-paid... But that's neither here nor there at this point. What's important is if I pay the $5000 for Full Self Drive now, does that include the cost of the computer upgrade when it comes out?

I haven't found any information on what, exactly, the computer upgrade will cost. But since existing Full Self Drive owners get it for free, it presumably will cost more than $0 if you wait to get Full Self Drive until after the computers become available. And since I've already relegated myself to paying $5000 for Full Self Drive, will it cost me even more than $5k if I wait to get FSD? I haven't been able to find any information about this question anywhere, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out.
If you are willing to go purely off of Elon's tweet, it is included with FSD:

Guy Weathersby

Guy Weathersby

At least in theory, there would be no advantage to getting the new computer unless you are getting FSD. EAP should work fine without it. I doubt if they will offer the new hardware as a separate product, since it would not be useful.

coredumperror

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
At least in theory, there would be no advantage to getting the new computer unless you are getting FSD. EAP should work fine without it. I doubt if they will offer the new hardware as a separate product, since it would not be useful.
Oh sure, I wouldn't expect the computer to be a separate thing. What I'm actually wondering, though, is if it will cost more to get FSD *after* the computer's come out than it already costs now. If it'll remain $5000 for me after the computers are available, then I can afford to wait until it's had some time on the road with real drivers, to see if I actually want to drop cash on it.

The wording of that tweet that noam posted does seem to confirm that the $5000 cost will simply include the cost of the computer upgrade, though. So I think my question has been answered.

Dinozero

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
If anything it will be cheaper since it is in the in-house build versus buying from nVidia. I would not buy it now for that reason.

M3OC Rules

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If anything it will be cheaper since it is in the in-house build versus buying from nVidia. I would not buy it now for that reason.
Elon said its the same price. Seems crazy to me that they said that. Do they even know how much Nvidia is going to charge? I was surprised they said its all about performance and not price. I would have expected the opposite because Nvidia has said their next version will be capable of FSD. I suppose there will be wars about which is safer but its going to be pretty hard to pin that on the IC with all of the software and sensors and training etc.

M3OC Rules

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I don't think it will matter. I'm sure they will just upgrade the computer when people purchase the upgrade. Someone has reported that Tesla told them they would honor the upgrade price given at time of purchase although the website doesn't reflect that. I think the only difference might be that the people who have already purchased it will likely get the upgrade first when it comes out.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Purely speculation on my part, but I'm guessing that if you pony up the $5K now, you'll be covered for hardware upgrades. In my opinion that is the reason they add the extra $1K to FSD for after delivery purchases, to cover the cost of the hardware upgrade. You truly never know though. The way things have gone the last 6 weeks they could jack that price up another $1K like they did paint. It's a gamble, because they haven't said, but I think if you have FSD, no matter when you bought it or what price you pay you'll get the hardware upgrade included at no additional charge.

If they would offer me a shot at buying FSD now after delivery for $3K I'd take it, but not at $5K. Fine line for me there, but I'm getting more excited about the offering, but not at $5K. I know if they don't force a premium on it for dealaying until after delivery, they wouldn't see it as much during the order process, so I understand their thinking, I just wish they'd offer some special pricing once in a while, I'd likely jump on board.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I read a post saying you can add FSD at the old price ($4000?) within 30 days of delivery. Don’t know if this is true. I will ask if I ever get the call.