Idea: iOS 12 Shortcuts Integration with Tesla App

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Golden Gate

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
That being said, my experience has been these API Shortcuts don't do a very good job of waking the car up. So if the car is awake, they work perfectly. If the car is asleep, maybe eventually they will work, but I've normally just opened the Tesla app and used it instead.
That hits the nail on the head... just deleted the shortcuts and will wait for Tesla to build the integration (which used to exist?) ... the shortcuts don't work unless the car is already awake, and if it's awake I really don't need the shortcuts.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The shortcut work for a while then suddenly I have this error message, “conversion error get dictionary value failed because shortcuts couldn't convert from text to dictionary”
I'm not sure if you ever found the answer to this, but I decided to play with the shortcuts a little tonight. First thing I did after opening one of the downloaded shortcuts was to add my ID and Password. I DID IT WRONG. In the second box down where it said tesla_email - I replaced that with my email. That is the mistake. That second box is setting a variable from the first text input box. So make sure and not to replace any of the text in the fields, but where is says Tesla_email and Tesla_password, enter your information in the box above that. It will take what you enter as text and save as the variable being defined in the next box. Mine are working now as long as the car is awake. If it is asleep though I get nothing.

StevePopiel

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So maybe I'm missing something, but what the hell good are these shortcuts if you've got to wake the car up anyway to use them? The point is to be able to raise your phone or watch and ask Siri to run the shortcut, not open your phone, open the app, and wake up the car first, right?

Country
Country
So maybe I'm missing something, but what the hell good are these shortcuts if you've got to wake the car up anyway to use them? The point is to be able to raise your phone or watch and ask Siri to run the shortcut, not open your phone, open the app, and wake up the car first, right?
The shortcut itself will wake the car up. If you ask Siri what your charge level is (for example), if the car is asleep it will wake up and then Siri will tell you the charge level. You just have to issue the one command - you don’t have to issue a separate wake-up command.

StevePopiel

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The shortcut itself will wake the car up. If you ask Siri what your charge level is (for example), if the car is asleep it will wake up and then Siri will tell you the charge level. You just have to issue the one command - you don’t have to issue a separate wake-up command.
Not on my car, either on Wifi or cellular. Nothing works unless I wake the car up first via the app.

Tesla Newbie

Newbie No More!
TOO Supporting Member
Green Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
Reviving an older thread with some recent experience. I use the Tesla Remote app and the the Siri Shortcuts work well. The shortcuts all start with the command to wake up the car followed by its unique purpose. The one I use most often is to open the hatch of the Model Y when my hands are carrying grocery bags or otherwise engaged, or I’m just feeling lazy or want to show off the feature to friends.

The only thing that prevented me from giving this a full-fledged endorsement was a limitation of the phone and not the car or the app. By design the Hey Siri trigger did not work when the phone was in my pocket which sort of defeated the purpose. Freeing my phone from my pocket while carrying grocery bags was no less complicated than popping the trunk the old-fashioned way.

Fast forward to the most recent IOS releases (13.4 series). Apple now offers the option to change that behavior.

The option is somewhat hidden. Go to Settings / Accessibility / Siri (near the bottom), and flip the toggle for “Always Listen for Hey Siri” to enable. (I never understand why Apple buries useful options in the Accessibility menu, but that’s a gripe for another thread.)

Now the behavior is exactly as I expect it to be. My “Hey Siri Open the Hatch” works 100% of the time.

I‘m cautiously optimistic that this will be my long-term solution, although I’m waiting to see if I’ve introduced any unintended consequences; for example, a noticeable hit to the phone battery life. The only downside I’ve seen is that Siri makes even more unexpected appearances when I say “Hey Sweetie” which I do often during the day. It’s hard to change the terms of endearment we‘ve used in the house for close to 30 years.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Fast forward to the most recent IOS releases (13.4 series). Apple now offers the option to change that behavior.

The option is somewhat hidden. Go to Settings / Accessibility / Siri (near the bottom), and flip the toggle for “Always Listen for Hey Siri” to enable. (I never understand why Apple buries useful options in the Accessibility menu, but that’s a gripe for another thread.)
I do not think this is new in iOS 13.4. This has been around for a while.

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Reviving an older thread with some recent experience. I use the Tesla Remote app and the the Siri Shortcuts work well. The shortcuts all start with the command to wake up the car followed by its unique purpose. The one I use most often is to open the hatch of the Model Y when my hands are carrying grocery bags or otherwise engaged, or I’m just feeling lazy or want to show off the feature to friends.

The only thing that prevented me from giving this a full-fledged endorsement was a limitation of the phone and not the car or the app. By design the Hey Siri trigger did not work when the phone was in my pocket which sort of defeated the purpose. Freeing my phone from my pocket while carrying grocery bags was no less complicated than popping the trunk the old-fashioned way.

Now the behavior is exactly as I expect it to be. My “Hey Siri Open the Hatch” works 100% of the time.

I‘m cautiously optimistic that this will be my long-term solution, although I’m waiting to see if I’ve introduced any unintended consequences; for example, a noticeable hit to the phone battery life. The only downside I’ve seen is that Siri makes even more unexpected appearances when I say “Hey Sweetie” which I do often during the day. It’s hard to change the terms of endearment we‘ve used in the house for close to 30 years.
@Tesla Newbie,

I might give this a shot. At first I thought great......but as you mention my first thought/concern was how it affects battery life. Let me know how you fare!

Ski

Tesla Newbie

Newbie No More!
TOO Supporting Member
Green Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
I do not think this is new in iOS 13.4. This has been around for a while.
Take a look at one of the many “what’s new in 13.4“ articles out there and you’ll find it. (For example, this one.) Of course, considering the pace of the news cycle these days, an article from February does feel like ancient history.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Take a look at one of the many “what’s new in 13.4“ articles out there and you’ll find it. (For example, this one.) Of course, considering the pace of the news cycle these days, an article from February does feel like ancient history.
Ah, my mistake. I did not realize the previous iteration of always listening did not include when it was face down or covered. Seems like always listening is now (or once again) truly always listening. Thanks!

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Ah, my mistake. I did not realize the previous iteration of always listening did not include when it was face down or covered. Seems like always listening is now (or once again) truly always listening. Thanks!
This was news to me too and maybe the reason my phone didn't always respond in the car. I thought Siri was listening all the time. Updating now.

Tesla Newbie

Newbie No More!
TOO Supporting Member
Green Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
This is the promised follow-up to my posts about the use of Siri Shortcuts via the Tesla Remote app. My experience to-date has been an unequivocal . . . I’m not sure.

The Hey Siri feature with the phone in my pocket works after the configuration change I described a few posts back. And, the Tesla Remote app and Siri Shortcuts are issuing the appropriate commands. (I know this because I can see them being executed on the face of my phone.)

The problem is that everything takes much too long. The only use case I really care about is the ability to open the rear hatch of my Model Y while approaching it in a parking lot with grocery bags in each hand. When I tested the feature in my garage before my 4/13 post, everything worked like a charm. But now I’m thinking that was because both the car and my phone were connected to the same Wi-Fi signal and potentially (just an uneducated guess) because the phone was within bluetooth range of the car. The response was immediate give or take a second or two. However, when I issue the command from across a parking lot (like many of us here, I never park near the door of the store), nothing happens before I arrive at the car where I stand clumsily for what feels like forever while I wait for the hatch to open. It always does, eventually, but not before a normal person would have intervened and popped the trunk himself.

So, the jury is still out. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to speed up the execution of the commands within the confines of a cellular network?

Edited to add: left for the grocery store after leaving this post and tried the hands-free hatch pop after purchasing a weeks worth of isolation staples. It worked perfectly from the opposite side of the parking lot! It wasn’t immediate, but it happened before I reached the car which is my measure of success. That the value of this thing is contingent on the strength of the cell signal is not a surprise, but it‘s unfortunate that making it consistently dependable is outside our control.

Last edited: