Idea: iOS 12 Shortcuts Integration with Tesla App

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

IPv6Freely

Go Leafs Go
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yep for sure. I've been playing with shortcuts for a few months and made some interesting stuff. I only started using the Remote S app a few days ago so haven't played with it too much yet.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Updated to iOS 12 3 days ago and seems to be perfect so far. I typically update day 1, but was out on vacation, wanted to at least have access to the Mac at home before updating. Will have to investigate the new shortcuts. I just don't use Siri much, but maybe it is becoming more useful.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just found this morning from a FB post that indeed there are some basic shortcuts already built in to the Official Tesla app. One person reported that the functions that show up on the Widget are already enabled. I asked "Hey Siri What is the battery charge of My Tesla" and Siri retrieved the information and read it back. I also asked "Hey Siri Unlock My Tesla" and the car unlocked immediately.

Looks like the key is to use "My Tesla" to get the information from the app. Also it was reported that occasionally Siri will respond that you need to open the Tesla app, and it has once or twice for me, but that is some sort of bug. If you ask again you will likely get the answer you want.

Edit - I am on iOS 12 and the latest version of the Tesla app.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I made a shortcut last week that when asked, tells me how many days it has been since reserving the car, followed by a random comment/pun about the wait, tesla, etc.

"hey siri, how long has it been"
"it has been 908 days since you reserved the Model 3. Seems like just yesterday... in Elon-time".

cmfrazier

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks. I am hesitant to give other developers access to my Tesla account.
O hear what you're saying. I think it uses an API token behind the scenes (credentials may actually stay on your device), but Tesla really needs to setup an "OAuth" like sign in. You get an embedded browser, sign in, know what permissions the app will have and then it passes a token back to the app to access the API.

I see the developer has said:
Remote S doesn't send any login/token information to any non-Tesla server

IPv6Freely

Go Leafs Go
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
O hear what you're saying. I think it uses an API token behind the scenes (credentials may actually stay on your device), but Tesla really needs to setup an "OAuth" like sign in. You get an embedded browser, sign in, know what permissions the app will have and then it passes a token back to the app to access the API.

I see the developer has said:
Remote S doesn't send any login/token information to any non-Tesla server
It is OAuth. You POST your credentials to their API and it generates a token. It then uses the token for all future requests. This is how all Tesla apps work, including Remote S, Teslafi, and even the official Tesla app.

Defjukie

Country
Country
Just found this morning from a FB post that indeed there are some basic shortcuts already built in to the Official Tesla app. One person reported that the functions that show up on the Widget are already enabled. I asked "Hey Siri What is the battery charge of My Tesla" and Siri retrieved the information and read it back. I also asked "Hey Siri Unlock My Tesla" and the car unlocked immediately.

Looks like the key is to use "My Tesla" to get the information from the app. Also it was reported that occasionally Siri will respond that you need to open the Tesla app, and it has once or twice for me, but that is some sort of bug. If you ask again you will likely get the answer you want.

Edit - I am on iOS 12 and the latest version of the Tesla app.
That's been in there for a while, and is really limited to just getting info from the car, such as "is my car locked?", "what is the battery level of my car?" and such.

Hopefully they update the Tesla app to add hooks for the Shortcuts app, which should enable things like turning on climate control.

cmfrazier

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It is OAuth. You POST your credentials to their API and it generates a token. It then uses the token for all future requests. This is how all Tesla apps work, including Remote S, Teslafi, and even the official Tesla app.
I guess what I was getting at is more of the login is done via an embedded browser and the app does not get your credentials directly.

Defjukie

Country
Country
That’s also been in there forever. I’m talking about the new shortcuts app in iOS12. Allows you to automate actions based on (amongst other triggers) speaking a phrase to Siri.

So you could say “I’m headed home”, and it would text your SO with an ETA, give you traffic conditions, and turn on the climate control without any further input.

Basically, it enables the future.

TrickorDevice

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have not setup any Siri Shortcuts in iOS 12 yet but I think it would be really neat if you could say, for example, "I'm leaving work", and the following would happen:
  1. The car turns on the climate control to either cool or heat to set temperature.
  2. The phone communicates with the Nest App to end "ECO" and turn on the climate control in my house to either cool or heat to set temperature.
  3. The car has home already set in the navigation.
What other ideas do you have?

Edit: I don't think the Tesla app or Nest app currently support shortcuts but hope support comes.

Pretty much everything you would want to do involving the Tesla can be done with the Remote S app. It has already been updated to take advantage of Siri and Shortcuts. Great app!

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A whole bunch of shortcuts were posted to Reddit recently, which you can input, edit, and use freely.
I like "Heat the car" and "Open the trunk" especially when walking up with your hands full of stuff....first legitimate use of Hey Siri?