Iceland priceless sights... & intriguing music!!

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I suppose that there's no way to tempt you to stop in Iceland en route? ;) If I may try:
(...)
3) The country looks like this.
(...)

Or this:

Or this:

Am I just cherry-picking the prettiest locations scattered around the country? Actually, no, it's just three adjacent charging locations (Jökulsárlón, Skaftafell, Kirkjubæjarklaustur) ;)
Karen, may we come without a T≡SLA (yet!) too? ;)

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A friend of mine went backpacking/camping around Iceland, and said it was awesome.

He also said that it's about the only way to travel to Iceland. Hotels are booked for several _years_ in advance. :eek:

Last edited:

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
A friend of mine went backpacking/camping around Iceland, and said it was awesome.

He also said that it's about the only way to travel to Iceland. Hotels are booked for several _years_ in advance. :eek:
Haha, it's not that bad. ;)

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
as if the scenery wasn't enough reason, Lopi and guys like this..
Sometimes people yarn bomb trees too ;)

(As far as the sheep are concerned, they're the ones who really own this country ;) "Oh, you wanted to drive past? Sorry, this is MY road. Yeah, go ahead and honk, I've heard it all before... Oh look, a fence. Was that supposed to keep me in? How droll... " )

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sometimes people yarn bomb trees too ;)

(As far as the sheep are concerned, they're the ones who really own this country ;) "Oh, you wanted to drive past? Sorry, this is MY road. Yeah, go ahead and honk, I've heard it all before... Oh look, a fence. Was that supposed to keep me in? How droll... " )
I know many who covet an opportunity to go to Iceland just for the wool :)

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Here's my backyard in the winter:

(Well, will be. I'm currently renting in town, but I have land in the country where I'm going to be building my underground cave house on the edge of my canyon)

Early spring:

Late spring / early summer:

Summer:

Fall:

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Got my virtual tour of the coast of Iceland from Sigur Rós!
https://sigur-ros.co.uk/routeone/
The image that shows in the preview? That's within 50 meters of a CCS/CHAdeMO/Type2 station :) This parking lot:

https://www.google.is/maps/@64.0487944,-16.1832314,667m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=is

They really built up our DC network quickly, we had almost nothing last summer (and still little last fall). Too bad it's all 50kW CCS/CHAdeMO/Type2, no 120kW for Teslas :Þ But, I look at it as an excuse to go off on hikes and the like ;)

Last edited:

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Thanks to my son I've loved Sigur Rós since even before their first album!
There must be an interesting story there :)

For Slashdot I wrote a script to automatically change my sig every few minutes from a list of several hundred. One of the sigs in that list is: "I wish people would stop comparing Jónsi to God. I mean, he's great and all, but he's no Jónsi." ;)

BTW, as far as "Totally Looks Like.."s go:

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
SLIGHTLY off topic, and I did already post a google search, but I've been really listening to this guy lately so I will give him a shameless plug again while also sticking to the topic a little bit. Crywolf posted a mini-documentary... broken up into 4 parts where he makes music and shows some of Iceland's beauty. A lot of his inspiration for this album's music came from Iceland itself.

A little bit of language, a little bit of a musician being a musician... and just an artist I truly enjoy. Hope you all don't mind I posted.

Impatient

Country
Country
Iceland is very high on the list of places that my wife and I want to visit. I've always thought Iceland was gorgeous and I hear only great things about the experience of traveling there. One day...

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
It is a rather expensive place, particularly for tourists - although airfare to Iceland is surprisingly affordable. Some tips for the budget-constrained when here:

* Post on bland.is (think of it as "Icelandic Craigslist") asking for low budget lodging and car rentals; you might find an offer way cheaper than even Airb&b and the like. Of course, if you *really* want low budget, the answer is camping and hitchhiking. Beware that there's been an unfortunate recent trend toward pay restrooms in heavily touristed areas.

* Restaurants are expensive here but grocery stores are not that bad, particularly the "budget" ones like Bónus (and to a lesser extent, Krónan). Limiting your eating out will save you a lot of money.

* Alcohol is very expensive in general here, but especially out in bars/clubs. If you're a night-scene/bar type person, it should be pointed out that most Icelanders (who don't usually head out until midnight or so, before that it's mostly tourists) start "pre-drinking" at home to save money. Obviously don't even think about driving while drinking here, though, the police are very strict about that.

mig

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
SLIGHTLY off topic, and I did already post a google search, but I've been really listening to this guy lately so I will give him a shameless plug again while also sticking to the topic a little bit. Crywolf posted a mini-documentary... broken up into 4 parts where he makes music and shows some of Iceland's beauty. A lot of his inspiration for this album's music came from Iceland itself.
Glad you posted! There is something about Iceland and music, maybe it is the inspirational natural environment, or maybe the educational system, but just so much great music coming out of Iceland for so many years. In fact, KEXP has been recording "Iceland Airwaves" from Kex Hostel in Reykjavik for the past few years and it is all very good.

http://blog.kexp.org/kexp-events/kexp-live-from-iceland-airwaves-2017/

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There must be an interesting story there
[Totally off topic] There is, he's total music freak, always finding 'new' bands and listening to avant garde shows. So he probably was one of the first in The Netherlands to hear Sigur Rós, found the album and let me hear it. I went to 2 shows of them here. My son to at least a dozen, including festivals. He also has music from a number of other Icelandic bands and hopes to go over there sometime.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
[Totally off topic] There is, he's total music freak, always finding 'new' bands and listening to avant garde shows. So he probably was one of the first in The Netherlands to hear Sigur Rós, found the album and let me hear it. I went to 2 shows of them here. My son to at least a dozen, including festivals. He also has music from a number of other Icelandic bands and hopes to go over there sometime.
But how did he hear about them before they released Von? I didn't think they'd been touring outside of Iceland before that.

Anyway, if he ever needs suggestions on bands, you know who to ask. He should totally come for Iceland Airwaves sometime, he would love it!