I think I'm getting ready to pull the trigger...

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
On another Model 3. Either AWD or Performance, hard to decide.

Question: Since my wife set up our Tesla account and made the initial Model 3 reservation, can I use her referral code to purchase our second Model 3 and what do we get? I'm not planning on getting numerous referrals so is one worth anything? Are there any cons to using the referral code?

Also, should I create another Tesla account or are there advantages to having both cars on the same account?

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
On another Model 3. Either AWD or Performance, hard to decide.

Question: Since my wife set up our Tesla account and made the initial Model 3 reservation, can I use her referral code to purchase our second Model 3 and what do we get? I'm not planning on getting numerous referrals so is one worth anything? Are there any cons to using the referral code?

Also, should I create another Tesla account or are there advantages to having both cars on the same account?

Thanks for any advice.
you would need to order the Performance (referral doesn't do anything for just the Dual motor option).
A single referral gets you (your wife) either a wall connector or the kids radio flyer car. This is changing with the next iteration of the referral program. IIRC, the current goes thru Sept 16th.

Vin

Country
Country
I recommend the Performance if it's in your budget. I test drove one today! I own a RWD and the salesperson said the AWD is in between the feel of the Performance and RWD, which is a bit obvious but what I noticed is the Performance wasn't that dramatically different than the RWD (at least not what I expected and comparing my personal RWD vs the P3D), so if you get AWD it will be even less dramatic.
Go Performance and you will not regret. It's perfect in handling, acceleration, and even ride comfort was nice.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
you would need to order the Performance (referral doesn't do anything for just the Dual motor option).
A single referral gets you (your wife) either a wall connector or the kids radio flyer car. This is changing with the next iteration of the referral program. IIRC, the current goes thru Sept 16th.
That's why I'm thinking I should order it on or before the 16th. But it really only applies to the Performance. So it's decision time. I guess we could put another wall connector to good use but then they wouldn't match! And with 48 Amps of charge power on tap, we could probably share the one connector since it has the longer cord.

Oh, the first decision was a lot easier!

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Go Performance and you will not regret. It's perfect in handling, acceleration, and even ride comfort was nice.
This will be my ski car and I keep thinking about that 1/2" suspension drop and how the car is already somewhat low for winter conditions.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I believe only the performance upgrade option has the lowered suspension.
You're right, I just reviewed the Tesla site and that's making me lean towards the performance (without PUO). I think I would just get the AWD and be done with it if it were not for the motor binning they do between the AWD and Performance models. I guess I don't like the idea of getting a motor in the "seconds" category. I don't need more acceleration than the RWD model offers (of course, more grins is never a bad thing) but it makes sense the motors that test better have a bit more efficiency and that's always a good thing. Then there is the free supercharging which is more of a psychological thing than a monetary benefit. I say this because I mostly charge at home but, when I need a Supercharger, it kind of bugs my somewhat frugal nature to pay twice the market rate for electrons even if it's just a few bucks more!

The most troubling aspect of all this is my beautiful wife just informed me that the purchase of a second Model 3 is the permission she's needs to get a second horse! I told her that's not how it works but she was having none of that. Now the CO2 reasons for a second EV are being canceled out by a horse! What is a good person to do? I've got a devil on my left shoulder, an angel on my right and they keep whispering conflicting information in my ears. It's so bad, today I woke up from a short nap and accused the angel of being a Tesla short-seller! I feel terrible.

If it were not for the loss of ground clearance, the obvious solution to this dilemma would be to go the whole hog and get the P3D with PUO. Because as far as I know, horses are not available in quarter units.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I tried to convince my wife to take my Model 3 so I could order a Performance Model 3 with PUO, but she passed and went for brand new dual motor of her own :)
As she should have. If she agreed to your scheme to get a new car and have her take your hand-me-down, I’d have to have a talk with her.

3Model3s

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The most troubling aspect of all this is my beautiful wife just informed me that the purchase of a second Model 3 is the permission she's needs to get a second horse! I told her that's not how it works but she was having none of that. Now the CO2 reasons for a second EV are being canceled out by a horse! What is a good person to do? I've got a devil on my left shoulder, an angel on my right and they keep whispering conflicting information in my ears. It's so bad, today I woke up from a short nap and accused the angel of being a Tesla short-seller! I feel terrible.

Though my wife 'forced' me to get the P+ it came at a cost (and I'm sure she'll continue with more coins cashed in) though not a horse it was a haired guinea pig. (must note current animal count: 7-birds, 5-cats, 5-fish tanks, 4-rats (yes, rats make great pets), 2-dogs, 2-reptiles, 1-hairless guinea pig. 1-mouse and I'm sure I missed some (all rescues))

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
As she should have. If she agreed to your scheme to get a new car and have her take your hand-me-down, I’d have to have a talk with her.
Melinda, have to agree with you... would not work in my case either... ;) even if I’d suggest she can have my iPhone X as I’d order an Xs Max... :p

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Though my wife 'forced' me to get the P+ it came at a cost (and I'm sure she'll continue with more coins cashed in) though not a horse it was a haired guinea pig. (must note current animal count: 7-birds, 5-cats, 5-fish tanks, 4-rats (yes, rats make great pets), 2-dogs, 2-reptiles, 1-hairless guinea pig. 1-mouse and I'm sure I missed some (all rescues))
Maybe I should suggest she get a rat or guinea pig instead of a horse?
I'm not sure how well that's gonna fly!

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Lol!

To be fair she’s absolutely not a car person, but the white on white Tesla’s have really caught her eye.
Yes! I would have ordered a white interior if we didn't have a black dog!

Well, the devil on my left shoulder switched positions on me today. All of a sudden he was saying "Your ICE car goes plenty fast, why would you want to switch from beautiful gasoline over to dirty electricity made from coal?" The angel on my right shoulder overheard and they were in a big argument over which was cleaner. All of a sudden, the angel was telling me to get the Tesla, just make sure it's pure and white. She said the white ones reminded her of the gleam of the pearly gates. As you can imagine, that's all I needed to hear and I logged onto the Tesla site before she could change her mind. The devil wouldn't shut up through this entire process and kept saying in a disgusting, low and gravelly voice what a prude Elon Musk was and how all he does is lie. He said Musk didn't even inhale the smoke from the blunt he had a puff of recently. He actually called Musk a "little goody-two-shoes" and said he was getting too big for his own good. He also said Musk's rockets were pathetic and if he knew what was good for him, he should give up on his celestial aspirations. He seemed especially threatened by his other company, The Boring Company. Said if he runs into one of his machines down there he would "jamb it up before Musk knew what hit him" and that he should "stick to flame-throwers", which he actually approved of. The whole time I was trying to concentrate on the task at hand. So I checked "Performance Model 3", avoiding the ground clearance killing PUO and selected "pearly white" which made the angel on my other shoulder breath a wonderful sigh of relief. She did warn me not to drive faster than she could fly or she might not be able to help me if I got into a bind. She said at sea level she could only go 135 mph but she was nearly weightless and it only took her a couple of seconds to get there. So, I promised I wouldn't leave her behind and before I knew it, I was done with a delivery estimate of November.

So, now we'll have two identical looking Model 3's in Pearly White!

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yes! I would have ordered a white interior if we didn't have a black dog!

Well, the devil on my left shoulder switched positions on me today. All of a sudden he was saying "Your ICE car goes plenty fast, why would you want to switch from beautiful gasoline over to dirty electricity made from coal?" The angel on my right shoulder overheard and they were in a big argument over which was cleaner. All of a sudden, the angel was telling me to get the Tesla, just make sure it's pure and white. She said the white ones reminded her of the gleam of the pearly gates. As you can imagine, that's all I needed to hear and I logged onto the Tesla site before she could change her mind. The devil wouldn't shut up through this entire process and kept saying in a disgusting, low and gravelly voice what a prude Elon Musk was and how all he does is lie. He said Musk didn't even inhale the smoke from the blunt he had a puff of recently. He actually called Musk a "little goody-two-shoes" and said he was getting too big for his own good. He also said Musk's rockets were pathetic and if he knew what was good for him, he should give up on his celestial aspirations. He seemed especially threatened by his other company, The Boring Company. Said if he runs into one of his machines down there he would "jamb it up before Musk knew what hit him" and that he should "stick to flame-throwers", which he actually approved of. The whole time I was trying to concentrate on the task at hand. So I checked "Performance Model 3", avoiding the ground clearance killing PUO and selected "pearly white" which made the angel on my other shoulder breath a wonderful sigh of relief. She did warn me not to drive faster than she could fly or she might not be able to help me if I got into a bind. She said at sea level she could only go 135 mph but she was nearly weightless and it only took her a couple of seconds to get there. So, I promised I wouldn't leave her behind and before I knew it, I was done with a delivery estimate of November.

So, now we'll have two identical looking Model 3's in Pearly White!
you should have your devil look at PSEs website (you are on PSE, right?) you more than likely have most of your power come from Natural Gas than coal.
congratulations on the 2nd order :D

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
you should have your devil look at PSEs website (you are on PSE, right?) you more than likely have most of your power come from Natural Gas than coal.
congratulations on the 2nd order :D
True, that's why I never believe anything the EV detractors say without verifying it first. It's almost always BS. So most of PSE's energy comes from natural gas with only 30% from coal and a good amount from hydro. But here's the kicker: PSE has firm commitments to shut down both coal-fired plants in the next few years. There will be no more coal in the mix. So the Tesla will just keep getting greener throughout its life. Coal makes for expensive electricity.

Seattle City Light which serves the entire City of Seattle only has less than 2% coal in their mix and that will also be phased out to 0% in the same timeframe. Currently, Seattle is mostly hydro and it's only going to get greener.

Solar cells continue to drop in price and storage batteries are dropping at least as quickly. Right now, it's less expensive to provide 100% of the electricity with solar plus battery storage compared to the heavy oil used on almost all Pacific Island nations (including Hawaii). Our society is being ludicrously idiotic by not making the transition to a mix of wind/solar/battery more quickly because the economic benefits are there now and getting more favorable every year. I'm sure the batteries in EV's you buy today will be used in stationary power storage at the end of the vehicles life. Then the valuable raw materials will be recycled to make more batteries. Don't believe the nay-sayers who say the batteries will clog up our landfills with toxic chemicals. Tell them those toxic chemicals are too valuable to throw away. But any large-scale recycling is probably about 30 years down the road because battery production is still ramping in volume and still in its infancy.

systemBuilder

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
You guys all need a wife like mine. She wrote the check so we could get the P3D+ asap but now she is afraid to drive the car for fear of it getting damaged! What a shame! I get to drive it ALL the time! Somebody has to do it !!! I live in Northern CA and you have to drive 129 miles on electricity to get the same CO2 pollution as 1 gallon of gas!