I sprayed my Model 3 with a custom blue Liquid Wrap

SethCat

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, this is a little crazy, but I thought I'd share anyway for those that may be interested.
Last night I finished up my first liquid wrap attempt on my Model 3. If you're unfamiliar, liquid wrap (ie. plastidip, proline, autoflex, raail, etc) is a spray-on wrap that can be removed (similar to a vinyl wrap). You can go to a professional installer or do it yourself (depending on the type you choose). Depending on how well it's done, it can look horrible or amazing (as good as vinyl or OEM paint).

img_2887-jpg.12107

I used DipYourCar.com "Proline" Matte liquid wrap (which is a medium skilled DIY level spray wrap) to do my car in a custom matte blue color with matte black accents. The car is originally Midnight Metallic Silver. The overall cost of the "paint" was about $400 and the sprayer system was about $400. After some miscellaneous items (ie. tape, cleaning supplies, etc) the cost was probably around $900 and 2.5 days of work. The cost to change the color in the future would be around $400-$450.

img_2884-jpg.12109

I had a few screw-ups (given it was my first time) and things I’ll need to touch up (nothing anyone could see from a couple feet away), but for the most part, it looks pretty great and can always be removed.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask away.

P.S. - I was too excited to take a picture that I forgot to peel the wrap from the fog lights. I'll be doing that soon. :)

Last edited:

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Looks pretty sweet! Just please take off the Aero caps and add the Tesla cap kit. :D

Nice job for a DIY... but not sure you saved too much pricewise. Like you said the second time around would be much less.

Local NJ shop with pricing:
https://www.wrapresourcenj.com/about-us

Autoflex is a big step up from ProLine and typically pro install only at about double the cost. ;)

SethCat

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Looks pretty sweet!

Nice job for a DIY... but not sure you saved too much pricewise. Like you said the second time around would be much less.

Local NJ shop with pricing:
https://www.wrapresourcenj.com/about-us

Autoflex is a big step up from ProLine and typically pro install only at about double the cost. ;)
Yeah, this was more for fun and to save on future cost if I were to change it down the road. There's a local shop that does Proline for $900 (about what I spent) and autoflex for $1300. I've been following the liquid wrap community for a while and really wanted to try it. Now I have a better idea of what it takes.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah, this was more for fun and to save on future cost if I were to change it down the road. There's a local shop that does Proline for $900 (about what I spent) and autoflex for $1300. I've been following the liquid wrap community for a while and really wanted to try it. Now I have a better idea of what it takes.
hope you keep us updated on how it wears over time

SethCat

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Don't listen to the aero-haters. They look great with that color and the black accents.
Hah thanks. Honestly, in my experience over the past couple of months, everyone I meet loves the aero covers. The only people that don't are Tesla people that know they're covers. Everyone else just thinks they're regular wheels that look futuristic (which makes sense for a car like this).

SethCat

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Been REALLY tempted to do this and your post isn’t helping any ;)
It definitely requires some patience. It was hot here when I did it and definitely rushed some things I should have spent more time on (like taping more accurately and going slower when removing masking, etc). If you can afford to lose the money on doing it wrong, then it may be worth trying, just don't expect it perfect the first time.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That looks great! Do you know if the car has to be new to spray/wrap it, or can I decide to do it say two years down the road?

SethCat

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That looks great! Do you know if the car has to be new to spray/wrap it, or can I decide to do it say two years down the road?
It doesn't need to be new. A lot of people do older cars because it's a less expensive way to make an old car appear newer and get some fresh "paint". The only prep is washing the car and wiping it down with some spray to remove any wax/contaminants. You don't need to sand or anything.

Brian N

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Looks good for s DIY!

Don’t you have to report color changes to the DMV though? That’s the only thing that seems like a hassle about all this. It would be fun to have a different color model 3 every few months or year.

I think that looks amazing too! Great pick in an exotic color and quality looks great from the pictures for sure. I am curious how it holds up in real world driving and weather, would you keep us posted please? I would definitely consider this in the future, thanks for sharing.