I shudder to think

Jeda - Top Tesla Accessories

Randyman

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Our 2020 X started a new thing yesterday. When decelerating, at approximately 45 mph, a shudder occurs. This shudder is felt at the steering wheel. It is aggressive and brief. Furthermore a slight right hand lane change, also provokes the condition. We parked at the airport yesterday and at the last foot of travel, we felt a short front end mechanical conflict. As though I hit the curb (I didn’t). I have read Tesla Service Bulletin 19-39-001 and symptoms may be similar but this happens when slowing. Any advice, history or other knowledge is appreciated.
PS: this car has never hit or been hit by anything and has less than 2,000 miles on it.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Technoking
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Not exactly sure what's going on but it sounds to me like you have either a problem with one of the half-shaft (common on the S and X) or a problem with an upper control arm or a linkage. Please keep us posted on what Tesla finds.

JasonF

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
We parked at the airport yesterday and at the last foot of travel, we felt a short front end mechanical conflict. As though I hit the curb (I didn’t)

That sounds to me like the brake pad has come loose in the caliper. At low speeds and decelerating, it would bind between the rotor and caliper (at very low speeds it might create a "mechanical conflict" feeling), but during accelerating and braking it would push back into the caliper because of the force being applied to the rotor.

It could also be a CV joint that dried out, because that would bind if you have the wheel turned sharply. It doesn't sound like you had the wheel turned while driving the last foot into a parking space, though.

Randyman

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
It is my opinion that it may not be associated with the brakes as that might be more consistent Than it is.
I have learned how to provoke it and that is to drive from 42 to 48 miles an hour and begin a deceleration while turning slightly. That is when it shimmies fairly aggressively and very briefly. I have an appointment at the shop for the 31st of this month. Thank you for your input, And please keep it coming if you think I’m missing some thing.

Randyman

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
A little update on my shudder.
I waited three weeks for my appt. at the local SC. I included verbiage and text describing this condition. [sic] between 28 and 45 mph, a slight turn, while not accelerating, provokes an abrupt and brief shudder at the wheel. The tech drove it but could not reproduce the condition. The next step was for me to wait until post coronavirus [mod edit: changed virus name] and drive the tech around. Now, keep in mind, I am just fine with being humiliated, when appropriate. I got home and read about this car’s Lane Departure Notification for the first time. My reading described the symptoms of this feature and they were identical to the issue I had.
I don’t know when this LDN was installed or if it was turned on by a software update, but it had not occurred to me prior. I turned that feature off and it has not happened since. I find myself with a little bit of Jackass Hee Haw telling you. Lastly, not pointing fingers, but hindsight suggests my description had the opportunity to have triggered the Tesla Company to think of this.
Nonetheless, I am grateful And love this car.

To the moderator: SARS, MERS, Spanish Flu and Chinese Virus all represent place of origin. Nothing else.

Randyman

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
same thing happened to me when I turned on LDW. unmarked neighbourhood road on a curve and the Model3 took exception to that curve and where i was on the road.

every time.

once I figured it out, i was gold. and the car forgiven.

iChris93

Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I got home and read about this car’s Lane Departure Notification for the first time. My reading described the symptoms of this feature and they were identical to the issue I had.
I don’t know when this LDN was installed or if it was turned on by a software update, but it had not occurred to me prior. I turned that feature off and it has not happened since. I find myself with a little bit of Jackass Hee Haw telling you. Lastly, not pointing fingers, but hindsight suggests my description had the opportunity to have triggered the Tesla Company to think of this.

The Tesla community did think of this. I suggested it in the very first response quoted here.
Are you signaling during the change? May be lane departure warning.

Reactions: 1 person

JasonF

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Now, keep in mind, I am just fine with being humiliated, when appropriate. I got home and read about this car’s Lane Departure Notification for the first time. My reading described the symptoms of this feature and they were identical to the issue I had.

It sounds like a miscommunication because of the terms used. Tesla's documentation for Lane Departure Warning calls its response a "vibration" or "shake". When you said "shudder", it's possible the tech eliminated LDW as a cause because the terms were different.

Randyman

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Chris 93
Asking me If my blinker was deployed is, again, not relevant. I live in the country where many slight turns exist that may simulate a lane departure and cause this warning. I hope this helps you understand.

Randyman

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Is it possible a software upgrade invoked this feature? It started deploying after months of ownership. Love the car.

MarkB

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
To the moderator: SARS, MERS, Spanish Flu and Chinese Virus all represent place of origin. Nothing else.

Randyman

Off topic but NOT true. First cases of Spanish Flu were in Kansas. These viruses have accepted names that should be used.

The term you used for COVID-19 is politically motivated and against the rules here.

Reactions: 4 people

GDN

Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I don't truly care about the history of any of the viruses and flu's on THIS forum, but if we need to refer to the current one it should be referred to as Coronavirus or Covid-19. Anything else in a further post will get the post moved to Off Topic if the mods are feeling really nice, but more than likely will just get the post deleted, it is a lot less work than moving a post.

Reactions: 4 people