I must leave my Model 3 for six months

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Toadmanor

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Greetings all, I am new here and will be getting a Model 3 soon...I hope!

I have two homes, one in California and one in Minnesota. Not yet sure which one will be the recipient of my Tesla. If I leave it in California the car will sit in a very hot...120-140 degree fahrenheit...garage for the summer. If I leave it in Minnesota it will be in a very cold...well below freezing...garage for the winter.

So, my concern is what is the most acceptable place and when I am away from the car for 5-6 months do I leave it plugged in to the charger? Any concerns I should have for letting her sit for so long?

Funny, I never once even thought about my ICE cars just sitting except to attach a trickle charger when away.

Thanks,

Toad

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I have two homes, one in California and one in Minnesota. Not yet sure which one will be the recipient of my Tesla. If I leave it in California the car will sit in a very hot...120-140 degree fahrenheit...garage for the summer. If I leave it in Minnesota it will be in a very cold...well below freezing...garage for the winter.

So, my concern is what is the most acceptable place and when I am away from the car for 5-6 months do I leave it plugged in to the charger? Any concerns I should have for letting her sit for so long?

Funny, I never once even thought about my ICE cars just sitting except to attach a trickle charger when away.

Thanks,

Toad
I'm not sure on the technical answer when it comes to batteries -- I'm nearly positive you have to leave it plugged in as the battery would most assuredly fully drain if left unplugged for 6 months. I'd be worried about the tires flat spotting though for sure.

Toadmanor

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just found this on the WWW regarding cabin overheat:

Tesla wrote in the release notes:
“When active, your vehicle prevents the interior temperature from exceeding 105F/40C for up to 12 hours after you exit your vehicle.”

If true, then it would not protect the cabin for 5-6 months.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Heat is generally bad for battery life longevity. Cold is generally really good for battery life longevity. So from that standpoint, Minnesota would be a better locale for it.

Either way, set the car to maintain only a 40-50% charge, and leave it plugged in. That will also help extend the battery's lifetime.

Putting the car on jack stands to help prevent the tires from flat-spotting is a great idea too. But that's not an EV-specific issue.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I just found this on the WWW regarding cabin overheat:

Tesla wrote in the release notes:
“When active, your vehicle prevents the interior temperature from exceeding 105F/40C for up to 12 hours after you exit your vehicle.”

If true, then it would not protect the cabin for 5-6 months.
Hmm, good point. Might be a good idea to ask someone at Tesla about that.

Either way, however, the BMS is designed to never let the battery itself get into a danger range. If it gets too cold, it'll heat it. If it gets too hot, it'll cool it. Regardless of what you do with your interior. It'll of course try not to use power when it doesn't need to, but it will use it if it has to in order to protect the battery. And - as Garsh rightly pointed out - as a general rule, lower temperatures are better for longevity than higher temperatures. The batteries do have a lower safety limit - I forget the exact number - but it's something really low like -20°C or -30°C. And again, the BMS won't let the battery pack get below its limits.

Twiglett

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Cabin overheat protection is just what it says - “Cabin” :)
It’s doing nothing for the battery. The regular battery management will take care of the battery.
All you have to do is keep the car plugged in.

As an aside....I noticed a while ago that the car would start and stop fans and open vents etc asbthe car got hotter when parked outside. So it definitely works to cool the battery even when he car is parked and locked.
Just keep it plugged in.

Tchris

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Thanks,

Toad
I have a similar situation, in that I will be leaving my Model 3 in my garage for 4-5 months during the Arizona summer, where ambient temperatures can approach 120 F. After thinking about it for awhile, I don’t think my batteries will have any greater heat exposure in storage than they would be if I was driving it for those months in Arizona. In fact, it should be less. I have been monitoring my garage temperatures and comparing to ambient outside temperatures. What I have found is that my garage temperature has been exactly the same as the temperature on my shaded patio. I had assumed that heat would build up in my garage and result in higher temps, but that has not been the case. The ventilation in my garage is sufficient to keep temps down. If I were driving my car around and parking in the sun during these high temperatures, I would be exposing the batteries to higher temperatures than if it were sitting in the garage. So, I think the only thing you might want to do if leaving your car in California, is make sure your garage ventilation is sufficient to keep temps down to ambient. And of course keep it plugged in.

Last edited:

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
OK- I'm not getting in to judging wealth or any individuals, but I assume you fly between the locations or drive an RV or ? What ever happens getting to or leaving one home behind for 6 month, do you think you can truly do without this car 6 months of the year? You must not have gotten to truly drive the car yet. After you get to drive this car, you won't want to leave it behind at the other location for 6 months. So I'm thinking this sounds like an opportunity. Pay my air fare, hotel for 1 to 2 nights and say $500 and I'll fly to which ever location and drive the car to the other location for you, and I don't want any other vulchers from this site undercutting me and saying they'll do it for $450!:cool::D

Tchris

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
OK- I'm not getting in to judging wealth or any individuals, but I assume you fly between the locations or drive an RV or ? What ever happens getting to or leaving one home behind for 6 month, do you think you can truly do without this car 6 months of the year? You must not have gotten to truly drive the car yet. After you get to drive this car, you won't want to leave it behind at the other location for 6 months. So I'm thinking this sounds like an opportunity. Pay my air fare, hotel for 1 to 2 nights and say $500 and I'll fly to which ever location and drive the car to the other location for you, and I don't want any other vulchers from this site undercutting me and saying they'll do it for $450!:cool::D
I live in Alaska.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
He's just waiting for FSD to be implemented. Then he'll have the car drive across the country to pick him up when he gets off the plane.
I thought of this, but don't rain on my parade. :) Who doesn't want to drive this car, that truly is the fun of owning it.

Last edited:

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
If you don't mind the thought of other people driving your car, you could always have someone Turo it out for you. Earn you money while you're gone. I bet the daily rates on Model 3 rentals are through the roof.

Dogwhistle

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Why not just keep the car with you year-round? If you don’t want to drive it between locations, I’m sure you can hire someone to do it for you! What a waste to let a Tesla rot for half the year!

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Why not just keep the car with you year-round? If you don’t want to drive it between locations, I’m sure you can hire someone to do it for you! What a waste to let a Tesla rot for half the year!
Don’t ever come to South Florida if this bothers you ;)

I work in property management and can tell you that all of the condos down here that serve as 2nd/3rd homes, etc are loaded with the world’s collection of Ferrari’s and Lambo’s literally rotting waiting for their few weeks of movement a year.

raptor

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Don't forget to account for variables such as power outages/surges, wildfires, garage insulation, ice storms, LTE signal quality, distance to a Tesla SC, garage security, etc.

Personally, I'd call Tesla and have them ask their engineering team.

Most definitely Minnesota, plugged in, set at 50%. High temperature is the enemy of most electronics including our batteries. Without a rather large ventilation system in your garage, there is no way for the BMS to properly cool your battery pack. A certain CEO was overheard years ago saying that northern car's battery packs would last almost indefinetly.

Good-luck.