I like everything about the Cybertruck, BUT...

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Jimmy Pepe Russels

Country
Country
... the steering wheel (or, uh, steering utensil). I think it looks cool, but my comfort position was at 12 o'clock for most of my driving (and why I actually prefer the odometer at the center screen).

Did anyone know how difficult this might be for purchasing directly from Tesla? I was thinking it might be something I'd have to work with a rep through instead of the insta-checkout, but wasn't sure how difficult that'd might be, or added wait times.

• Funny
Reactions: JWardell

TomT

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
... the steering wheel (or, uh, steering utensil). I think it looks cool, but my comfort position was at 12 o'clock for most of my driving (and why I actually prefer the odometer at the center screen).

Did anyone know how difficult this might be for purchasing directly from Tesla? I was thinking it might be something I'd have to work with a rep through instead of the insta-checkout, but wasn't sure how difficult that'd might be, or added wait times.
12 o'clock is a really bad place for one's hands. It is not only dangerous (air bag) but gives poor steering control. I seriously doubt Telsa would entertain or even be able to change the wheel...

Jimmy Pepe Russels

Country
Country
I suppose, but in the event of an accident, you would have time in a lot of cases to move to a more 10-2 oclock position out of instinct I think.

Jimmy Pepe Russels

Country
Country
Also, I feel like the 9 oclock - 3 oclock position the steering utensil has would be a bit awkward, and not really that great compared to 10-2.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

You haven't seen the wheel on the new Model S I assume.
Ordering is basically like getting something from Amazon, in some cases even delivered to your front door.

Reactions: Jimmy Pepe Russels

Jimmy Pepe Russels

Country
Country
UGH! Why couldnt they get rid of the other parts, and only keep the top part! Granted I like it more than the cybertruck's, but this person is right in how it'll make hand-over-hand turns worse...

I suppose I could go aftermarket, though would prefer a professional install from Tesla I suppose

TomT

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I suppose, but in the event of an accident, you would have time in a lot of cases to move to a more 10-2 oclock position out of instinct I think.
In many cases - perhaps most - you would have no time at all to respond. And, BTW, with steering wheel airbags it is no longer 10-2, it is now 9-3... And hand over hand turns or shuffle turns will be impossible.

Jimmy Pepe Russels

Country
Country
Alrighty... so after careful deliberation, and a lot of due diligence (watching some youtube reviews), I have decided the yoke steering-item is a deal breaker for me. Was originally thinking I could swap it out with a stock steering wheel, but apparently they added turn signals directly on the yoke, and no longer have stalks?

This is very much a bummer to learn. I'd be okay with a customizable "steering wheel w/ stalks" part I could use, and not seeing the HUD screen if that were to be part of a final release, but does anyone know if this might be an option to get a Tesla-configured steerint wheel going forward? Definitely want a truck for the utilities eventually, but not sure if I shouldn't shop around now...

slacker775

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
IMHO, I wouldn’t make too many hasty decisions until the final specs are officially out there and you know what you are really dealing with. But that’s just me. I take all of the various gossip and things - including Elon’s tweets - with a certain grain of salt.

• Agree
Reactions: bsunny