I have had my M3 for a year and have yet to need any type of service.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Not as lucky, had to go in a few times. Luckily it was all quick fixes, nothing was too major or related to driving issues.

I had a very squeaky wheel when I first got the car, they said it was some friction on the brake clips which they replaced. I got my charge port replaced because the charger wouldn't lock in sub-zero temps, which meant the car couldn't charge in the cold. Also got the chrome trim around my doors replaced last week because of the winter window issues. All winter long, the window wouldn't roll down, and the chrome took a beating every time I opened/closed the door. It got scuffed up pretty badly all around the car and was an eyesore. Hoping to find a solution before next winter. And before anyone asks, yes I put the silicone on the window seals, didn't help
Did you try running a credit card between the window glass and the rubber seal at the base of the (exterior) window glass?

timtesla

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Did you try running a credit card between the window glass and the rubber seal at the base of the (exterior) window glass?
I didn't think about that, but there were never any visible signs of ice around the seals so I'm not sure how far inside the door it was frozen stuck. I got used to fixing it most of the time by grabbing the top of the window and flexing it back and forth until I hear some ice cracking, then usually it will cooperate and roll down. Will have to wait another 6-8 months to test out the credit card. For now, lets not think about winter, I've had enough of that. Lol

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Mainly because watching this forum makes me think that Foxy is a unicorn amongst everyone here.
I think you just hear about the cars that have issues (and most of them are very minor, the Model 3 appears to have no serious issues that are common and there haven't been any recalls either).

We have two Model 3's:

Long Range from May 2018

It's been perfect which was a major reason we decided to get another one. This is unusual for us as we generally keep our cars a long time, until they aren't worth much, but the Model 3 was such a nice car we decided to sell our Mazda CX-5 that was not even 5 years old and buy another Tesla. About 3 weeks ago I rotated the tires on the first one with almost 11K miles on it. That's the only service it's seen.

P3D from September 2018

This one has been perfect as well. It's only had winter tires installed and I removed them two weeks ago. It's very nice to not have to schedule or perform oil and filter changes. We did our Volvo services at 7,000 miles so it needed 26 of them! And we needed to replace the transmission, the twin turbo chargers, 5 of 6 of the ignitiion coils (1 or 2 at a time), the oxygen sensor, the air mass meter, brakes and discs a bunch of times, other stuff I can't remember right now and we even had to pay for software updates (and take it into the shop) which were supposed to fix a slight throttle hesitation (but it never really did). Other than those issues, it was a great car, LOL! None of it was cheap.

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
1. Had a small door ding fixed on the due bill.
2. Had something rattling on accel/deceleration- tech found a walnut!
3. Rotated tires myself.

11k mi and loving it! I feel like it's cheating to get this performance w/o the maintenance. I was on a first name basis at BMW service, really bad.

scherer326

Country
Country
I am not planning on getting my tires rotated for a while but when it is needed can it be done at a SC? What do they typically charge for tire rotation.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ugg!!! Today I got into Foxxy and she lite up like a christmas tree. Every driver helping accessory is disabled. This started before she got 2019.12.6 and continued after it was installed. :( I did the hard restart 5 times and the 6 errors are still there. I made her first SC appt. about 2 hours ago :p Will see what the damage is, the good thing is that she is still drivable just she drives like a very OLD ICE car. No power steering, no regenerative braking, definitely no autopilot.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am not planning on getting my tires rotated for a while but when it is needed can it be done at a SC? What do they typically charge for tire rotation.
I had Mobile Service rotate my tires in my garage at home. It cost about $80, which was only slightly higher than the local tire places ends up charging anyway, except less risk of damage from idiots who can't deal with a Tesla.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I've got a little over 5000 miles in 3 months (one long 2800 mile trip) and no issues to date. Car has been great. Wish I could say the same for order and delivery. What a nightmare!

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I've got 25,500 kms.

At three weeks: I had two clips on the rear passenger side brake caliper replaced, and

At five months: I had a ranger replace the drivers side headlamp (part of the lot where the LED strip was out of alignment), re-glue the magnet on the charge port door and reload the maps version (mine was corrupted).

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
First rotation is typically free at your local SC...it depends on the SC if they'll charge you or not.

SalisburySam

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In my forum grazing, I’ve seen a wide range of costs at Service Centers for tire rotations. Least cost of course is free and quoted as “good will” on the repair order; this was the case with my 6250-mile rotation and seems to be a common though not universal practice. Others have reported ½-hour of labor was charged, or about $62.50. One poster reported $140, by far the highest I’ve read. The advantages to using an SC for this are several: they’re familiar with the vehicle and how it is to be lifted, they know the tire pressures and recommended rotation intervals and pattern, they’re familiar with the original equipment tires themselves, the service appointment is also a good time to apply any technical service bulletins that may be out, and lastly, tire rotation is a nice-to-do if you need to see the SC for another service issue. A bonus can sometimes be a new firmware update while connected to the SC’s WiFi signal.

Ksb466

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I notice changes to the recommended maintenance in the car manual that would save owners some money if followed. Tire rotation is now 10,000 miles. Battery fluid no longer needs changing for the life of car.just check brakes, wipers, and replace ac filter every 2 years. Tesla deserves some credit for saving us all money if the cars last with these directions. Ps- I’ll probably still rotate at 6-7k.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I notice changes to the recommended maintenance in the car manual that would save owners some money if followed. Tire rotation is now 10,000 miles. Battery fluid no longer needs changing for the life of car.just check brakes, wipers, and replace ac filter every 2 years. Tesla deserves some credit for saving us all money if the cars last with these directions. Ps- I’ll probably still rotate at 6-7k.
When you say the "battery fluid" is rated for the life of the car, I assume you are talking about the coolant? If so, that's awesome!