I am heartbroken... Rim damages & repairs

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey, so I finally experienced my first rim rash on my 6 month old Model 3 and I was devastated! After researching the best way to fix it at a reasonable cost, I decided to document my repair and also the installation of the EVANNEX rim protection kit. I wanted to do this because I almost felt sick to my stomach when it happened but was pleasantly surprised to learn that it's not that difficult to fix. Let me know if you have any questions about my repair process!

The paint and supplies information is in the video description on the YouTube page.

Last edited:

BluestarE3

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for that. What paints (brand and color) did you use? It was hard to make out the labels on the video.

When I first saw those rim protectors, I was leery that they'd offer any actual protection. However, after getting curb rash a couple of times on different wheels, the damaged areas are where those protectors seem to cover and I'm now more inclined to think they may actually help mitigate future damage.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for that. What paints (brand and color) did you use? It was hard to make out the labels on the video.

When I first saw those rim protectors, I was leery that they'd offer any actual protection. However, after getting curb rash a couple of times on different wheels, the damaged areas are where those protectors seem to cover and I'm now more inclined to think they may actually help mitigate future damage.
Thanks, the paint and supplies information is in the video description on the YouTube page.

scaots

Tesla Pilot, Owner, and Shareholder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I didn't check the video, but I used Duplicolor Ford Dark Shadow Gray and it is almost a perfect match. Definitely good enough for a touch up. It is a hair darker, goes on a little darker and lightens when it dries. I put it on as heavy as I could without it running and one coat was fine. You can find a touch up pen in that color on Amazon. I didn't even bother with the clear coat. If it is rough a little light sanding before paint might help hide it better.

Fredbob711

Country
Country
I got about half the circumference of the right rear tire on my 3 pulling into a parking lot. I got too focused on the spot I was going to pull into and cut the corner too close to get to it. My dad works for a local dealership network with an auto-detailing shop so I might take it there. Or my brother works in the service department of one of the dealerships in that chain, might use their guy (no, the dealerships don't use the in-house people for a lot of work).

njkode

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
First time visit this thread but my wife has managed to curb both rear tires, anyone in Los Angeles know a goos place to get Rims fixed for a good cost? If the cost is to much I may just leave it and get rims later down the road.

E.V.Texan

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well, I got another rim. Thank you MacMcintire, that is a great video. With just some sand paper, I've been able to smooth out the edges. I'll wait until the weather gets better to finish the job. Those tires leave zero room for error. If you touch a curb,,,, you got "rim rash"

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi everyone! My first post here.
Just got my Model 3 Performance and after 300 miles hit a huge pothole on I-75 while on autopilot and the tire shop said the wheel is bent in addition to two tire bubble requiring replacement. Does anyone have knowledge as to if it is better to get the wheels fixed ($175 per wheel) or get new ones from Tesla? Will fixing the wheel be a safety concern? I am attaching picture. I do not notice any vibrations driving.
I am looking at a cost of new tire $400 x2 and $175 wheel fix x2 around $1200 from a hole on a major interstate.

Attachments

Last edited:

BnK

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Update: Tesla rocks and they replaced my rim for free. I've still got the old one and plan to find a paint that works to help others plus I'd like to repair it for a future spare. I should have the next touchup paint here next week to try.
Did you ever find touch up paint for the 19's that work well?

gary in NY

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My credit union drive up night deposit box got my driver's front 18" aero rim. Later that night, I bought a can of gray spray paint from Home Depot, masked off the tire and rest of the rim, and sprayed away. It's a pretty good match, and I will probably touch it up again in the warmer weather. Eased my mind anyway for the time being.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
It is time for Tesla to update their tire contracts and put tires on their cars that are a little wider than the rims on all new production cars S 3 and X.
Having the rim stick out a little wider than the tire is asking for curb rash on the rim. There are so many complaints about curb rash and flat tires from pot holes that I think Tesla needs to address this so as to reduce the stress on their service centers and not have customers dealing with this issue..
Having all these cars come in for this problem is crazy when just using a little wider tire will solve the problem.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
when just using a little wider tire will solve the problem.
It will solve that particular problem, but cause two others:
  • The wider tire will reduce efficiency
  • A non-stretched tire will result in less-crisp handling.
Tesla isn't the only company putting stretched tires on high-performance vehicles. Take a look at any high-end BMW, or any Porsche.

You could always replace the tires yourself if you tend to scrape curbs a lot.

MacInfoSys

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
First time visit this thread but my wife has managed to curb both rear tires, anyone in Los Angeles know a goos place to get Rims fixed for a good cost? If the cost is to much I may just leave it and get rims later down the road.
I just used this company and they came HIGHLY recommended. I was very impressed on the work and the professionalism. And his price is amazing! He is so busy he no longer comes onsite. You have to go to his office. Its a drive from LA but you cannot tell the difference between the original and the repair.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/onsite-wheels-garden-grove

Scubastevo80

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My wife has managed to curb the passenger side rear twice in 4 months of ownership. The first time, she forgot to mention it and it was a surprise to me. Last week, I literally heard it when she was on the phone with me. Her comment to me was priceless... "it was either run into the car in front of me or pull around it tight to the curb. I guess the curb was too close to the wheel". Yep... or the wheel was too close to the curb.

I may just keep the stock 18" aeros for the winter and find a lightweight 19" summer option.

E.V.Texan

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well, after making sure I had a full body rash (all 4 rims dinged) I found a local shop, whose only business is alloy rim repair, to fix them for $425.... Ouch!

They did them in less than a day. They look great and I can’t feel any imperfections. I will be more careful!!

Bernard

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well, after making sure I had a full body rash (all 4 rims dinged) I found a local shop, whose only business is alloy rim repair, to fix them for $425.... Ouch!

They did them in less than a day. They look great and I can’t feel any imperfections. I will be more careful!!
You can always install rimblades or simiiar rim protectors -- takes a lot less time and money to replace the rim protector with a new one than to repair the rim. And they come in black, not just screaming neon colors as usually shown on ads ;-)
(I put red rimblades on my Model 3; looks OK, although I'll use black next time, as a better match to the wheel look -- the aero wheel covers, which i like very much. Evannex has its own product that makes replacement even easier -- a two-part protector that looks like a good design.)

TheMagician

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It will solve that particular problem, but cause two others:
  • The wider tire will reduce efficiency
  • A non-stretched tire will result in less-crisp handling.
Tesla isn't the only company putting stretched tires on high-performance vehicles. Take a look at any high-end BMW, or any Porsche.

You could always replace the tires yourself if you tend to scrape curbs a lot.

I generally agree with you garsh but think you’re wrong on this count. Tesla is the 800 lb. gorilla at this point regarding tires. All they have to do is ask and Michelin or Continental would be glad to build a tire with a built in rim protector. I was at the SC last month and watched as a young lady driving a Model S caught the edge of the curb trying to enter the service dept via a ramp. I cringed as she totally gouged her right rear rim (it happened too quickly to stop her).

When I went inside, I noticed that the “service department” had a rack with 12-15 rims sitting on it. I asked the manager what was the deal and he said “we have people coming in every day asking for a new rim”.

Leave the stretched tire for the people buying the performance edition. 90% of the people wouldn’t know the difference (except when they don’t have to pay to replace or repair a rim).