I am heartbroken... Rim damages & repairs

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes that was a little click-baity sorry.

In all of my years of driving, I have always been exclusively a corner spot, tight to the curb parker and I have never so much as nicked a rim.

That streak ended today :mad::tmi::cry::rage:

I already have a call into the local Service and Parts team for a quote on a replacement rim. Having never done this before, I have no clue if repair is feasible or what that looks like.

Yes I know there are many things worse that can happen to us on a daily basis, but this still just hurts :cry:

101781d6-fc9b-47ee-a386-d7bd10373b7a-jpeg.6354

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Well for reference a 19” sport wheel is $300 plus labor to dismount and remount a tire :(
SoFlaModel3, sorry for you of course, though these mishaps are unfortunately bound to happen... yet I share your pain!
Good news is the cost does not seem out of reach for such a nice wheel... ;)

Joaquin

Country
Country
Oh man, sorry to see that poor wheel...

The damage is only cosmetic, or it must be replaced for security/integrity reasons?

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country

The damage is only cosmetic, or it must be replaced for security/integrity reasons?
Pretty sure it’s a)... yet trust it’s @SoFlaModel3 ’s inner integrity which is affected... I am the same... :)

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes that was a little click-baity sorry.

In all of my years of driving, I have always been exclusively a corner spot, tight to the curb parker and I have never so much as nicked a rim.

That streak ended today :mad::tmi::cry::rage:

I already have a call into the local Service and Parts team for a quote on a replacement rim. Having never done this before, I have no clue if repair is feasible or what that looks like.

Yes I know there are many things worse that can happen to us on a daily basis, but this still just hurts :cry:

View attachment 6354
I think you can have that repaired, I had a similar curb rash on my Audi S5 and found a wheel shop that repaired in in a day, looked like new. I dont recall the cost but I am sure it would be far less than a new wheel

Last edited:

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I would say it’s for sure only cosmetic.

I think you can have that repaired, I had a similar curb rash on my Audi S5 and found a wheel shop that repaired in in a day, looked like new. I dont recall teh cost but I am sure it would be far less than a new wheel
That’s what I was curious about!

Tchris

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Oh and to add something for everyone to watch out for. The rims extend beyond the tire, so you have zero protection. If you touch the curb your wheel will have curb rash without exception.

That goes for the 19s, not sure on the 18s.

Be careful out there!
I know there are a variety of adhesive type rim protection products out there. I have never used any of them and have no idea whether or not they are worthwhile. Maybe someone else has some experience with these.
https://www.rimbladesusa.com/why-ri...MIoNTsqrLv2QIVF25-Ch1rkAJZEAAYASAAEgI6u_D_BwE

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I know there are a variety of adhesive type rim protection products out there. I have never used any of them and have no idea whether or not they are worthwhile. Maybe someone else has some experience with these.
https://www.rimbladesusa.com/why-ri...MIoNTsqrLv2QIVF25-Ch1rkAJZEAAYASAAEgI6u_D_BwE
Yeah, I've seen those and I know EVANNEX has them for Model S. The thing is that I only think they look good on dark rims. If I had black/dark gray rims, I'd be all over a red wheel band. On the lighter alloy wheel I've always felt they look out of place.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just scrape up the other three and they'll all match again.

That's a bummer, man. I guess tires that don't bulge out past the wheel rim provide better cornering since the tire doesn't deflect sideways as much. But yeah, no protection from curbing the wheels then.

Last edited:

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just scrape up the other three and they'll all match again.

That's a bummer, man. I guess tires that don't bulge out past the wheel rim provide better cornering since the tire doesn't deflect sideways as much. But yeah, no protection from curbing the wheels then.

Here are the aftermarket wheels I had on my previous favorite car (2002 Audi A4). They were 18" x 8" rims with 235/40 18 tires and I felt like it had a great balance of looks but protection just in case.

08-jpg.6363
09-jpg.6364

Last edited by a moderator:

jsmay311

Country
Country
Oh and to add something for everyone to watch out for. The rims extend beyond the tire, so you have zero protection. If you touch the curb your wheel will have curb rash without exception.
This is something I'd never given any thought to before.

Is this a common thing? Or are these wheels an outlier?

And what about the 18's?

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Aw man, so sorry to hear that :( I looked into it on my old Kia lease and it's definitely something you can repair. I was too lazy to go through the effort, but there are really good youtube videos out there to teach you how to do it. ie:
I'm sure you could get it professionally repaired for much cheaper than $300.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sad to see, but there are many wheel repair guys out there, I bet it can be fixed pretty easily, only you and those you tell would know the damage. Many of the newer sportier cars with the low profile tires have this issue. Partners Fusion has had just a few of them in the last 5 years. A couple of them were mine and I never used to hit a curb, it's just that you get no forgiveness with these. Check out a tire place, those guys will know someone that can fix that for a lot less than a new wheel.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is something I'd never given any thought to before.

Is this a common thing? Or are these wheels an outlier?

And what about the 18's?
I don’t think this is uncommon though it is my first car where the lip of the rim extends beyond the rubber.

I can’t speak for the 18s...

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry to hear your baby got her first diaper rash! I feel your pain but these things happen, at least it appears you'll be able to get it repaired for less than the cost of a new wheel. Let us know what kind of results you get if you go the repair route.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry to hear your baby got her first diaper rash! I feel your pain but these things happen, at least it appears you'll be able to get it repaired for less than the cost of a new wheel. Let us know what kind of results you get if you go the repair route.
I will absolutely circle back with the outcome. I have already read some reviews for local shops that do this work (not something I want to DIY) and will very likely go with that route though I am pleasantly surprised that the rim is only $300.

In fact, if you think about it some... the upgrade from 18s with tires to 19s with tires is $1,500. At $300 per 19" rim and ~$280/tire, it's $2,320 to get the 19s after the fact. That means they're valuing the 18s with tires at $820 bucks when meanwhile the tires are worth more than $820.

My expectation would have been that the stock 18s with tires were valued in the $2,000 range and that would put the 19s with tires in the $3,500 range.

Justmurr

Country
Country
I wish I could be heartbroken in the same way.

Perspectives...but I do feel for you SoFla, I remember that same feeling when I went too far with my E46 M3 and scraped the front passenger rim, it’s as if you can feel it in your own inner-self when it happens.