Hugely exciting news - Ford will update SW over the air !!

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
This is just absolutely incredible - look how Innovative Ford is (Check out their second bullet) and how absolutely amazing it is they've figured out how to update car software without having to visit a dealership. Horrendously funny they can't even tout this without referencing Tesla at least twice (unsaid) in their press release. And even bigger news - they might just get their first update in the first SIX months. Sign me up.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...6SFDcvDHKMeFu5hGj_T711GPsQEG6yBcF-ArehC2jLBQk

Last edited:

NickJonesS71

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
I'm thoroughly awaiting this to hit dealer showrooms. Competition is good. Saw a few of these at an auto show a few months back. Exterior was very impressive looking great road presence. Looks much better than the Y. If it delivers on the range and performance promised then the die hard ford fans might open up. Ken Block doing marketing isn't half bad either

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm thoroughly awaiting this to hit dealer showrooms. Competition is good. Saw a few of these at an auto show a few months back. Exterior was very impressive looking great road presence. Looks much better than the Y. If it delivers on the range and performance promised then the die hard ford fans might open up. Ken Block doing marketing isn't half bad either
Truly I am too - and despite I'm poking at them, to get the EV embraced Ford and all others need to copy Tesla in most every way. If the owners get this car and there are problem and Ford can't roll out a freaking update to them for 6 months, the car won't be on the road long. It won't make it past year 1. It needs to be successful.

msjulie

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My dad keeps asking my why none of the other manufactures are doing anything about 'supercharging' - he sees my Tesla and the overwhelming presence of that network and can't figure out why the other guys don't "get it"

It's an interesting question but I think it comes from still being of the mindset of not realizing that most driving needs are handled by charging at home (for many). He does note that Tesla seems to be way far ahead in many (all?) aspects. We do need other options though, it helps justify the obvious - EVs are a good idea

NickJonesS71

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
He does note that Tesla seems to be way far ahead in many (all?) aspects.
Well let's be realistic about all. Paint, fit and finish needs some significant work. No other brand would get the pass Tesla gets by their owners, I'm still not sure why it's accepted at a 70k+ price point.

They are years ahead in the tech department. No one can argue that. And it was brilliant to build out the charging network, while most people will not need it, it absolutely gets non EV owners over the hump to make the purchase

msjulie

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
@NickJonesS71 Absolutely no argument!

My car looks pretty good though and the issues at delivery were dealt with shortly after so what he sees is a decent car, mine was not 70k so that helped also. We're paying for the tech; updates over the air are "of course" to us, not so much to the other guys yet.

edit

He also thinks the front pass. seat is one of the best he has sat in (I like them too) - but to be fair he has a Toyota truck :)

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
This is just absolutely incredible - look how Innovative Ford is (Check out their second bullet) and how absolutely amazing it is they've figured out how to update car software without having to visit a dealership.
I still have to applaud them for trying. They've gone much farther than any of the other "traditional" car manufacturers, and it's going to pay back when the others have to scramble to catch up.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I still have to applaud them for trying. They've gone much farther than any of the other "traditional" car manufacturers
Absolutely.

First, their first serious EV is a crossover - the most popular segment of vehicle in North America.
Second, they decided to call it a Mustang - their most iconic name. Whether you think it was a good idea or not, it shows commitment.
Third, it doesn't look like a weirdmobile. They're aiming for the mainstream market, not the "quirky" market.

pjfw8

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Well let's be realistic about all. Paint, fit and finish needs some significant work. No other brand would get the pass Tesla gets by their owners, I'm still not sure why it's accepted at a 70k+ price point.

They are years ahead in the tech department. No one can argue that. And it was brilliant to build out the charging network, while most people will not need it, it absolutely gets non EV owners over the hump to make the purchase
I agree that Tesla has a way to go on fit and finish. For the record, my 2016 Ford Fusion Energi had paint match issues, specifically bumper cover color was off and poor panel gaps and trim misalignment. my 2018 3 was not perfect but much better. My last Audi was near perfect (except that I knew the service writer and manager all too well)

NickJonesS71

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
my 2016 Ford Fusion Energi had paint match issues, specifically bumper cover color was off and poor panel gaps and trim misalignment
Of course you'll find it in every brand. But man I've seen some doozies of Model Y fitment on YouTube. They did realize all the first units were doing to go immediately to YouTube right? perhaps give them a second look over. The rear seat release buttons didn't even work on Brian i1s car. So it's more than just the panel gaps the media seems to want to focus on

You're right it's not uncommon to see plastic vs metal color match to be off a little bit

Last edited: