huge drain while parked at airport

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
some things that increase vampire drain are sentry mode, cabin overheat and the biggest culprit is third party apps that poll your car. also constantly waking the car by checking the status with the app will not help things.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you leave the car unplugged and at low SOC for months at a time, yes. But a couple weeks at an airport isn't going to cause that to happen.
I won't debate the bricking issue but I disagree with your dismissing the concerns because if you allow some third party apps access to the car the vampire drain can be exacerbated by their polling of the car. One time I was away and noticed a 12-16 mile per day drain which I stopped by changing my tesla account password which locked out the third party apps and reduced the drain to two miles a day. a few weeks of 12 mile a day draining will mean you could be returning to a car with no power to get you anywhere.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
...if you allow some third party apps access to the car the vampire drain can be exacerbated by their polling of the car.
Good point.

Tesla will automatically disable things like sentry mode and cabin overheat protection when SOC drops to 20%, but they probably don't do anything to prevent apps from waking up the car in those conditions. So consider disabling third party app access to the car when leaving it parked and unplugged for that long.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The original published version of the Model 3 Owner's Manual did reference an "Energy Saving Mode" that it claimed would reduce vampire drain to <1% per week. (!)

Of course, unfortunately, this mythical mode never came to fruition in real life. And even the "<3% per week" claims for a regular mode turned out to be way too optimistic. Sigh. That's Tesla for ya.

(Note: this is taken from an old, obsolete version of the Model 3 Owner's Manual. The highlighted portions have since been changed or removed. )
View attachment 25217

(This is from the latest manual -- as of April 2019.)
View attachment 25218
wonder if the Power Off option under the service menu would act similarly as the Energy Saving

jsmay311

Country
Country
wonder if the Power Off option under the service menu would act similarly as the Energy Saving
The description in the manual doesn't give any indication that powering off through the screen is fundamentally any different than simply exiting the vehicle.

1556912404021.png

If it did actually dramatically reduce vampire drain, I would guess someone would've stumbled on that already.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I parked my Model 3 at 87% SOC at 1730 EDT on Saturday, 04 May 2019.

I am going to use my Model 3 tomorrow afternoon, for the first time in 15 days.

The car has not been plugged in and has not been communicated with (by me) in that time frame.

I'll post what SOC I find I have and the resulting daily rate of loss for same, late tomorrow afternoon.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I parked my Model 3 at 87% SOC at 1730 EDT on Saturday, 04 May 2019.

I am going to use my Model 3 tomorrow afternoon, for the first time in 15 days.

The car has not been plugged in and has not been communicated with (by me) in that time frame.

I'll post what SOC I find I have and the resulting daily rate of loss for same, late tomorrow afternoon.
Report whether Cabin Overheat Protection was on or not. I’ve found a big difference turning it off, even if you don’t expect high temps in the cabin.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I have just arrived back at my parked Model 3, which did NOT have any cabin overheat protection used.

To recap, I parked it 15 days ago NOT plugged in with 87% SOC and did NOT wake it up until five minutes ago.

The current SOC is:

20190518_151711.jpg

So one data point, with 15 days being parked in the Southfield MI area for 15 days, I lost 8% (half a percent per day).

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
That is downright impressive! Things have very much improved over last year.
Agreed.

I expected to see 1% a day (at best) and was pleasantly surprised.

When I got home this past Sunday (19 May 2019), I plugged in to top her back up to 90%, and the charge session was completed at 2020 EDT.

Didn't use the car yesterday, but I did do a "detail clean" for about three hours (no HVAC use, but car doors open so it was awake).

When I drove to the YMCA today, I left home with 90% still showing on the clock and it didn't go to 89% until three km down the road.

Country
Country
Turn off “Data sharing” it sucks up the juice. Sentry and TeslaCam does also and any interior cooling like “Keep Climate On”, with these off, J don’t lose a single mile.

Fred