huge drain while parked at airport

HCD3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes I see in the 8.5 thread there is a possibility of both issues stacked on each other.
Recent firmwares definitely take longer to sleep so if things that were polling slowly like once an hour before it may never fall asleep now. Teslafi is a little smarter in that it polls every minute but detects certain items turning off when parked and stops polling.
Morning J. Could you provide a screenshot of Teslafi settings that will allow my 3 to sleep please? I have Stats app and Commands app on my phone as well. My car stopped sleeping a couple of days ago, and I must have messed something up in the Teslafi sleep settings.
Thanks very much.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Morning J. Could you provide a screenshot of Teslafi settings that will allow my 3 to sleep please? I have Stats app and Commands app on my phone as well. My car stopped sleeping a couple of days ago, and I must have messed something up in the Teslafi sleep settings.
Thanks very much.
Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 8.35.32 AM.png

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks very much. Any check marks on Nighttime or Deep sleep at the bottom of the page? Thanks for helping me so quickly!!
I have night time on but don't use it. I have deep sleep off. I've been happy with the 15 minute rule in all locations.
I have noticed the car wakes from sleep a bit more since installing the Commands app on my watch, but that is post likely from me unintentionally pressing the complication. Just another thing to think about avoiding when on a long trip.

HCD3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have night time on but don't use it. I have deep sleep off. I've been happy with the 15 minute rule in all locations.
I have noticed the car wakes from sleep a bit more since installing the Commands app on my watch, but that is post likely from me unintentionally pressing the complication. Just another thing to think about avoiding when on a long trip.
I will check to see if I can add Commands as a complication. I currently have Stats as a complication. Is there anything I should do with either Stats or Commands that will prevent polling? Thanks very much J. You’ve been extraordinarily helpful.

HCD3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just added Commands replacing Stats as a complication. It seems to work great and updates the range when you press on it. With Stats
range was updated only when it has completely loaded.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just added Commands replacing Stats as a complication. It seems to work great and updates the range when you press on it. With Stats
range was updated only when it has completely loaded.
What I am saying is you might want to remove all complications when going on a trip. Pressing them will wake the car from sleep.
Stats will poll the car every half hour or hour and also keep the car awake on recent firmware (as long as it is on your phone and logged in..) At the moment you need to change your Tesla password to block it from doing so (keep an eye on the Stats thread)

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I called a service center but got no answer, then called the central number and they were the ones who told me that draining between 3-20miles per day is normal... I also think 20/day is not normal. Never had seen this since I got the car in November.
I found the best way to get consistent communications is to drive to your local SC (mine is two hours away) and meet with a service adviser.

Get that person's actual email address and actual extention number.

Since doing that late last summer, I have always been able to get ahold of the same chap at the SC, and the SC staff seem to have a better handle on issues such as you describe.

I have found poor technical support when calling the central number........YMMV.

HCD3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What I am saying is you might want to remove all complications when going on a trip. Pressing them will wake the car from sleep.
Stats will poll the car every half hour or hour and also keep the car awake on recent firmware (as long as it is on your phone and logged in..) At the moment you need to change your Tesla password to block it from doing so (keep an eye on the Stats thread)
I usually quit all the running apps on my watch when I go to bed. Press the button below the crown and swipe to quit. You know I don’t think I need Stats, but it was 15 bucks. I may change my Tesla password to prevent it from polling. If I do that can I still get useful information from it? Just changed my Tesla password, got a new Teslafi token and haven’t done anything to Stats. My 3 is currently sleeping. Stats no longer works. I’ve deleted it from my iPhone and watch.

Last edited:

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Looking over the logs, the cabin overheat protection was never active, the temperature inside only went up to 117 F (47.1 C).
What makes you think COH didn't kick it, it's goal is 105 if I remember correctly. If you have it turned on, it definitely should've been cooling the car.

Ksb466

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had this exact problem. Yes, i was stupid to arrive at the airport with 120 miles and no plug. But I didn’t have COP on, nor do I have any third-party app, nor was I remotely waking up the car knowing I would drain the battery some by doing so. Still , the car lost 20 miles a day, and smartly texted me on day five of my trip that it was almost out. Your only option may be a tesla ranger. In my case I had still parked next to a 120 outlet and two days before I returned had my grown daughter drive the plug down to the car and plug it in Allowing me enough range to drive home. From talking to tesla it didn’t sound like it would be cheap to have the Ranger come out. I’ve never seen that phantom drain level repeated in any scenario since, so I never figured it out in my case.

Niki-and-I

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes I see in the 8.5 thread there is a possibility of both issues stacked on each other.
Recent firmwares definitely take longer to sleep so if things that were polling slowly like once an hour before it may never fall asleep now. Teslafi is a little smarter in that it polls every minute but detects certain items turning off when parked and stops polling.
The poller I am using also does not wake up the car if it is asleep, and since the car never before shown this behaviour even though I had the poller working I can only conclude this is a bug in 8.5 that prevents the car from sleeping. Note that a couple weeks back I also left the car parked unplugged for 6 days and the drain was only the expected 3-4 miles/day (the logger was working then).

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The JSON records obtained from the API by the logger. Never turned on.
I wonder what else is going on then. If you've got COH turned on and the inside of your ar got to 117, then something else is wrong as well. It definitely should have kicked in. What if your poller missed some communication? Which poller are you using?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wonder what else is going on then. If you've got COH turned on and the inside of your ar got to 117, then something else is wrong as well. It definitely should have kicked in. What if your poller missed some communication? Which poller are you using?
COHP will only come on with the battery above 20%, so if it got up to 117 after the battery dropped below 20%, it would have acted as expected.

Magnets!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What makes you think COH didn't kick it, it's goal is 105 if I remember correctly. If you have it turned on, it definitely should've been cooling the car.
COP will not activate if car alarm is turned on, so that could be the issue.

Dogwhistle

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When I leave my car at the airport while on a trip, I occasionally notice through TeslaFi that my car is not asleep and has been awake for much more normal (15 min max). A quick remote unlock/relock seems to do the trick, the car will be in sleep just a few minutes after that. I have TeslaFi set up for max sleep at the airport, but every once in awhile it just wakes up and stays that way for hours until I do that trick.