HUD aftermarket offerings (NAVDY no longer one!)

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
As with most of these startups, Garmin or Cobra or some other big fish will pick at the carcass of Navdy and get great IP and consumer base for pennies on the dollar. IIRC, Navdy was never a great choice for the Model 3 due to lack of OBD II port.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Thanks for notice, @Hav77 , though for me & some others I’m sure (certainly those who actually bought it!) this is kinda bad news. :(

Back to hoping that T≡SLA offers a HUD option by the time I get my invite within 18+ months and/or scouting for new aftermarket options (changing thread name to capture news!).

teslaliving

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
The Navdy is no longer available on Amazon or Best Buy! It appears the company went belly up and if you bought one of them already they will probably stop working in a week or too!!
https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/navdy-shutting-down/
I was in the middle of a review for my blog for them and they went belly up. First unresponsive through PR, then via founders went unresponsive, then I got a letter that they're gone. Anyone who paid for one is screwed as the service wont work going forward. Fortunately I got a free eval unit. It didn't work very well in the S though. The software was very cool but the GPS receive was very poor so it basically never tracked where you were which made it pretty much useless.

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
There’s definitely a market for something as cool as what Navdy seemed to have, yet that would work! Nothing appropriate that I could see out on the net now..

We have a HUD in the new 4 Series Convertible we just got for wifey; she let me drive it yesterday a bit and I LOVE IT. It reaffirmed my resolution to find the best there is in aftermarket options, by the time Midnight S≡R≡NITY comes finally... That is of course if T≡SLA hasn’t awakened by then!! ;)

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Ok, this is NO HUD... yet @Ben Sullins has a very simple solution to suggest to those (and he seems to have joined that group) who are missing the 2nd binnacle behind the wheel...

Ben’s video also debunks Elon’s excessively ambitious - as untimely - expectation ‘we won’t care’ there is nothing in front of our eyes because, as we said at the time, truly autonomous driving is years away...

So, for your consideration... for me this still does not fully cut it... as using Waze on your phone (if I understand correctly...) would then imply you don’t use the T≡SLA navigation functionality which is so nice as it takes you from one SC to another on long distance travels... (don’t imagine Waze does that?).

The search for the perfect HUD option continues for me... of course my preference would be to find it in Fremont!! I mean, Elon can send a Roadster to Mars, and he would be able to put a HUD in Model 3 at some point? :confused:

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I actually think Ben's suggestion is a very viable one. I find the Tesla Nav immature in the current form, at least in the S/X. Apparently it's faster and more responsive in the 3 but from what I've seen, the functionality (or lack of) is the same. You can't select from route options when entering a destination. You can't manually change a route once underway. The direction list on the Model 3 Nav is to the far right of the screen, practically in the passenger's lap.
In New York, Waze is invaluable for red light cameras and speed camera locations, police and speed trap locations and all the functions listed above that Tesla NAV doesn't have.

I'm definitely considering this holder when I get our Model 3.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I actually think Ben's suggestion is a very viable one. I find the Tesla Nav immature in the current form, at least in the S/X. Apparently it's faster and more responsive in the 3 but from what I've seen, the functionality (or lack of) is the same. You can't select from route options when entering a destination. You can't manually change a route once underway. The direction list on the Model 3 Nav is to the far right of the screen, practically in the passenger's lap.
In New York, Waze is invaluable for red light cameras and speed camera locations, police and speed trap locations and all the functions listed above that Tesla NAV doesn't have.

I know I only have 2 days behind the wheel, but I still don't see the need to have anything beyond the center screen. It's very refreshing having nothing directly in line of sight.

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I actually think Ben's suggestion is a very viable one. I find the Tesla Nav immature in the current form, at least in the S/X. Apparently it's faster and more responsive in the 3 but from what I've seen, the functionality (or lack of) is the same. (...)
Ok, yet to all these (plan B) solutions which rely on your phone & Nav apps, how do you deal with what seems to me the major plus of using the T≡SLA stock navigation, namely the ability to steer long distance driving from one SC to another??
Are T≡SLA SCs elements built in any other app, and therefore useable as essential components of your trip planning?

If not, I still feel HUD orphan... :(
I know I only have 2 days behind the wheel, but I still don't see the need to have anything beyond the center screen. It's very refreshing having nothing directly in line of sight.
What I’m talking about, SFM3, has always mostly to do with safest use of navigation... Presumably what you did up to now was (a lot of!!!) local driving... ;)

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What I’m talking about, SFM3, has always mostly to do with safest use of navigation... Presumably what you did up to now was (a lot of!!!) local driving... ;)
You’re right. I’m not a heavy navigation user as 99.9% of my driving is to places I generally already know the directions to :)

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Ok, yet to all these (plan B) solutions which rely on your phone & Nav apps, how do you deal with what seems to me the major plus of using the T≡SLA stock navigation, namely the ability to steer long distance driving from one SC to another??
Are T≡SLA SCs elements built in any other app, and therefore useable as essential components of your trip planning?
The supercharging scenario is one that most people encounter RARELY. SC is mostly for longer road trips. On the road trips that I’ve taken, I use the Tesla NAV to plot the course and estimate charging times. Concurrently, I use WAZE because most of these road trips are to unfamiliar places where I have no idea where cops like to set up speed traps. Waze helps a lot with that. After Tesla nav plots to main course, I set the next SC destination into Waze and run both.

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
The supercharging scenario is one that most people encounter RARELY. SC is mostly for longer road trips. On the road trips that I’ve taken, I use the Tesla NAV to plot the course and estimate charging times. Concurrently, I use WAZE because most of these road trips are to unfamiliar places where I have no idea where cops like to set up speed traps. Waze helps a lot with that. After Tesla nav plots to main course, I set the next SC destination into Waze and run both.
Gotcha. So what you’re saying is for long trip it’s kind of a ‘stereo’ nav deal... ! Or better said, synergistic Waze+T≡SLA nav... ;)

See, the thing is I plan to take lots of long trips... that may be why I am such a HUD freak... :D

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Drhalo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Great find! I love that it will work with any app as it just screencasts the phone! I only wish it could be mounted vertically and cost half as much :)
Would be nice to be cheaper. But seeing that Navdy is teets up this might be good alternative. I rolled the dice and ordered one. The problem now becomes power. I'll have to string a micro usb cable up the dash which is less than ideal, and that will most likely steal one of the USB outlets. I was wanting to order the Jeda pad or the nomad pad but if I cant have both sides working it might not be worth it.
I assume there's no 12v outlet ;)

FYI I created a Boston area facebook users group if you are interested.