HPWC purchase procedure in Ontario

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I am planning on purchasing a Tesla High Power Wall Connector (HPWC), here in Ontario.

Before I phone Tesla, I wish to reach out to anyone in Ontario that has gone thru the purchase of a HPWC in the recent past.

Since the nearest service center (or any Tesla facility, for that matter) is a two hour drive (one way), I want to know if the ONLY way to get a HPWC to my house is to go and pick it up......

Can one pre-pay for a HPWC and then pick it up four weeks later?

Or, can one purchase it online and have it shipped?

What I want to avoid is a needless drive into Toronto, especially if a HPWC is not regularly in stock.

Any suggestions would help. Cheers.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am planning on purchasing a Tesla High Power Wall Connector (HPWC), here in Ontario.

Before I phone Tesla, I wish to reach out to anyone in Ontario that has gone thru the purchase of a HPWC in the recent past.

Since the nearest service center (or any Tesla facility, for that matter) is a two hour drive (one way), I want to know if the ONLY way to get a HPWC to my house is to go and pick it up......

Can one pre-pay for a HPWC and then pick it up four weeks later?

Or, can one purchase it online and have it shipped?

What I want to avoid is a needless drive into Toronto, especially if a HPWC is not regularly in stock.

Any suggestions would help. Cheers.
Until you have a vin, you can not purchase anything directly from a service center, but have to order online and pay for shipping.

It is also not just a WC, the “HP” was dropped when they redesigned it a year or so ago

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Thanks everyone.

I just went online and tested the online shopping experience for the "wall connector".

I went to the point right before I need to enter a credit card number.

Since I don't want this charge until 07 March 2018, this is how far I will go today....and I will try an actual purchase on the 7th to see if it will or will not accept my CC until I have a VIN:

capture-png.5933

But according to this, free shipping!!:D

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Yup, got mine a couple of weeks ago. Couldn't be simpler. Free shipping and delivered in about a week. I gauk at it every day...'cause it's the closest thing I'm going to have to a car for another 6 months or so. ;)

Dan

victor

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Periodically, eBay sellers from Canada seem to “come across” new chargers that are MUCH cheaper. Here is an example of one currently available. They sell quickly.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tesla-Wall...ash=item3d5970c321:g:SXQAAOSwZQRYaprX&vxp=mtr
There is a rebate for EV chargers in Ontario and those from ebay are not qualified.

To be eligible for an incentive, eligible chargers must be purchased from a Canadian distributor and shipped from a Canadian address.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Thanks for the link.

Here is the Tesla equipment listed on the site containing "eligible for rebate" wall connectors:

03-capture-png.5943

Observations (I am planning to do the installation myself):

01-capture-png.5939

From the point of view of a self installed WC, one must forward the paperwork within 90 days, but......

02-capture-png.5940

.....this form states you need the actual vehicle rebate in hand.

I know Trevor had his WC installed well before his delivery of his Model X.

So, what gives?

I wanted to buy the WC and install it in March, but this documentation looks like I should hold off until I've ordered the car and know when it comes in.

Anyone in Ontario who self installed their WC want to wade in here?

If you read this Trevor (I don't know how to tag you), how is it that you got your WC installed so far in advance of your purchase and have, I assume, no issues with the rebates?

Thanks.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Updates:

Until you have a vin, you can not purchase anything directly from a service center
I contacted the Tesla facility in Toronto and the head of the service department confirmed that one MUST have a VIN before Tesla will sell the EVSE to you.

capture-png.6029

Bureaucratic uncoordination of rebate programs:

I contacted the Ontario Ministry of Finance yesterday and discussed the 90 day age limit for the E4 ESA inspection and the need to have the actual E5 EV rebate "cash in hand" prior to applying for the EVSE rebate.

Anecdotally, the wait times for the EV rebates are going up to five (5) months.

Since one needs the EV rebate "cash in hand" to apply for the EVSE rebate AND the EVSE rebate needs an ESA inspection certificate no older than 90 days.....

......hypothetically one would have to use an non-inspected EVSE until such time that they were confident that the EV rebate would show up in the mail within 90 days.......

The bureaucrat I spoke with would not comment directly on my observation, they simply repeated the mantra, "You can't apply for the EVSE until you have your rebate check and the EVSE inspection has to be within the last 90 days".

YMMV

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Updates:

I contacted the Tesla facility in Toronto and the head of the service department confirmed that one MUST have a VIN before Tesla will sell the EVSE to you.

View attachment 6029

Bureaucratic uncoordination of rebate programs:

I contacted the Ontario Ministry of Finance yesterday and discussed the 90 day age limit for the E4 ESA inspection and the need to have the actual E5 EV rebate "cash in hand" prior to applying for the EVSE rebate.

Anecdotally, the wait times for the EV rebates are going up to five (5) months.

Since one needs the EV rebate "cash in hand" to apply for the EVSE rebate AND the EVSE rebate needs an ESA inspection certificate no older than 90 days.....

......hypothetically one would have to use an non-inspected EVSE until such time that they were confident that the EV rebate would show up in the mail within 90 days.......

The bureaucrat I spoke with would not comment directly on my observation, they simply repeated the mantra, "You can't apply for the EVSE until you have your rebate check and the EVSE inspection has to be within the last 90 days".

YMMV
Mike, This is why I had my 200 amp service/panel 75’ run into a 14-50 upgrade this past September. Will let me charge right away with the UMC. The deal I made was they will come back Sometime after vehicle delivery, install the WC, give me the ESA certificate and bill me for the WC install.
I believe Trevor did his WC Knowingly on his dime.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Mike, This is why I had my 200 amp service/panel 75’ run into a 14-50 upgrade this past September. Will let me charge right away with the UMC. The deal I made was they will come back Sometime after vehicle delivery, install the WC, give me the ESA certificate and bill me for the WC install.
I believe Trevor did his WC Knowingly on his dime.
Sandy, that makes sense.

I find it absolutely absurd that one has to have the EV rebate cheque in hand, when a VIN and a copy of your ownership would prove you just got a new EV that is on the list of compatible EV subject to a rebate.

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sandy, that makes sense.

I find it absolutely absurd that one has to have the EV rebate cheque in hand, when a VIN and a copy of your ownership would prove you just got a new EV that is on the list of compatible EV subject to a rebate.
Agree. I read on another thread (CDN forum?) a while ago that people were applying for the WC/electrical install rebate after delivery with the VIN before actually receiving the EV rebate and getting it.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Agree. I read on another thread (CDN forum?) a while ago that people were applying for the WC/electrical install rebate after delivery with the VIN before actually receiving the EV rebate and getting it.
I read that as well.

The form one fills out for the EVSE rebate states one has received (past tense) the EVIP rebate.

Screen shot from the front page of the Web site:

screenshot_2018-03-08-14-16-02-png.6188

If I was on my home computer, I could also open up the PDF that has the flow chart of prerequisites that shows you need the EVIP rebate in hand.

victor

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Good news, everyone!

Receiving a vehicle rebate is no longer a requirement for applying for an EVCIP rebate.

Also now you can apply for an EVCIP rebate when you've purchased a used EV. However this used EV should be on the EVIP Eligible Vehicle and Incentives List. And this makes buyers of new and used Tesla models S & X not eligible for an EVCIP rebate.

Electric vehicle charging incentive program
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicles/electric/charging-incentive-program.shtml

Program Description and Application Guide
http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/...tFileAttach/023-0177E~2/$File/0177E_Guide.pdf

Application Form
http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/GetFileAttach/023-0177E~1/$File/0177E.pdf

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Good news, everyone!

Receiving a vehicle rebate is no longer a requirement for applying for an EVCIP rebate.

Also now you can apply for an EVCIP rebate when you've purchased a used EV. However this used EV should be on the EVIP Eligible Vehicle and Incentives List. And this makes buyers of new and used Tesla models S & X not eligible for an EVCIP rebate.

Electric vehicle charging incentive program
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicles/electric/charging-incentive-program.shtml

Program Description and Application Guide
http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/...tFileAttach/023-0177E~2/$File/0177E_Guide.pdf

Application Form
http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/GetFileAttach/023-0177E~1/$File/0177E.pdf
Thanks for this tip Victor. Awesome news. Now if Tesla will sell only sell me one without a VIN.......

Can't seem to find the updated list of makes/models of EVSE units that are allowed under the program. Links on the documents don't connect to said list anymore. Teething pains I guess.....

Last edited:

TheTony

It happened.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for this tip Victor. Awesome news. Now if Tesla will sell only sell me one without a VIN.......
There's no need to go through your local service center. Just purchase directly from shop.tesla.com. They ship the wall connectors for free. They also don't require a VIN for anything sold through their website.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
There's no need to go through your local service center. Just purchase directly from shop.tesla.com. They ship the wall connectors for free. They also don't require a VIN for anything sold through their website.
The issue is, for the rebate, it must be ordered from a Canadian site, have Canadian CSA info on it and the invoice/paperwork that comes with it must show it came from a Canadian address.

IF/IF I knew I could order from Tesla.com and all the above times were satisfied, I would. But Tesla seems opaque about this one detail.

I spoke with the SC in Toronto last week and the head of the service department confirmed that Tesla (Canada) won't sell me an EVSE until I get a VIN.

I can wait until I get a VIN.

The circuit is going in today, all I'll have to do once I have my VIN is order the EVSE and install it at the end of the new circuit.

TheTony

It happened.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The issue is, for the rebate, it must be ordered from a Canadian site, have Canadian CSA info on it and the invoice/paperwork that comes with it must show it came from a Canadian address.

IF/IF I knew I could order from Tesla.com and all the above times were satisfied, I would. But Tesla seems opaque about this one detail.

I spoke with the SC in Toronto last week and the head of the service department confirmed that Tesla (Canada) won't sell me an EVSE until I get a VIN.

I can wait until I get a VIN.

The circuit is going in today, all I'll have to do once I have my VIN is order the EVSE and install it at the end of the new circuit.
I would imagine the service center, even if they refuse to sell you an item that their site sells, directly, should perhaps be willing to place an online order for you, so that the order shows up with the right paperwork. It seems like at least in your province this isn't a situation that's new - people wanting to do their installs before the car arrives, to complete the incentives. Who knows though, they may not be willing to budge on this - it probably is also dependent on the staff.

I've actually never understood why some locations refuse to sell items that aren't restricted on their own website - it's silly.

However, if you can wait, as you noted, then that'll work, too.