HPWC is not Energy Star certified. Anyone happen to know why?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

coredumperror

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I realize this is a long shot, but does anyone happen to know why Tesla's High Power Wall Connector isn't on the list of Energy Star certified EV supply equipment (https://www.energystar.gov/productfinder/product/certified-evse/results)? My local power company grants a $150 rebate credit for the purchase of an Energy Start certified EV charger, and I'd *love* to quality for it, but I can't as long as Tesla's charger isn't certified.

Have they just not applied for certification? Is there something about the HPWC that makes it ineligible?

Last edited:

Feathermerchant

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
First of all it is not a charger. The charger is in the car.
It is a relay that only sends power to the cord when it can talk to the car. It also has a GFI function for human safety. There are a few other capabilities but mostly that is it.
So it doesn't use an appreciable amount of power compared to an actual charger. I'd guess that Energy Star does not rate these things at all.

coredumperror

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
If you look at the link I included, you'll see a variety of EV chargers on that list, including a number of them from ChargePoint. What confuses me is why Tesla's isn't on the list, when so many others are.

EDIT: Whoops, I screwed up the link the first time. Sorry. It's fixed now.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
If you look at the link I included, you'll see a variety of EV chargers on that list, including a number of them from ChargePoint. What confuses me is why Tesla's isn't on the list, when so many others are.
That's a good question. It looks to me like the Energy Star standards are limited only to EVSE that has a J1772 connector. The Tesla connector is proprietary and doesn't qualify. While Tesla's WC can "speak " J1772", it needs the adapter to comply. So maybe Tesla decided it wasn't worth it to include a J1772 adapter with every WC (and pay an independent third party to test it and get it certified). That's just a guess.

coredumperror

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
That would be really unfortunate. What possible reason could there be to not certify anything except a J-plug charger? :(

96s46p

Country
Country
That's a good question. It looks to me like the Energy Star standards are limited only to EVSE that has a J1772 connector. The Tesla connector is proprietary and doesn't qualify. While Tesla's WC can "speak " J1772", it needs the adapter to comply. So maybe Tesla decided it wasn't worth it to include a J1772 adapter with every WC (and pay an independent third party to test it and get it certified). That's just a guess.
Does it require them to supply the adapter to customers or just for testing?

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
That would be really unfortunate. What possible reason could there be to not certify anything except a J-plug charger? :(
Probably no valid reason. And perhaps some invalid reasons. But if the Energy Star standards are written for equipment complying with J1772, then only equipment containing a J1772 plug could qualify.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It's very possible that the EVSE may have to support scheduling to be on the list. It's a really stupid requirement though.

96s46p

Country
Country
I don't have the text of the Energy Star standards but I would think the third party tester would have to test the product as supplied.
"The SAE J1772 interface shall be used to connect between the UUT and VEM. If the UUT does not have an SAE J1772 output coupler, an adapter shall be provided by the manufacturer."
"If the UUT does not have an SAE J1772 output coupler" implies it is allowed to not have j1772
The VEM (vehicle emulator module) used in testing has J1772 input so the adapter is required only for the testing