HPWC installation mistake by my Electrican

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

EasterEgg

Country
Country
71bcc5cf-f34b-47af-abf2-a5e2effdf8d9-jpeg.9751
d673686e-dc85-4205-99e6-4bd6329765d0-jpeg.9750
3c3e306d-c24f-4c06-aa7d-b1d4bde5702b-jpeg.9749
I had my HPWC installed last Friday by a Tesla recommended Electrician. After he was done I wanted to adjust the charging cable hanging on the charger. As I unwind it and wing or back on the charger it was wobbling, the charger. I have to double check it again and yes, it's wobbly.

As I remove the charger to look at the bracket, my Electrician only used 2 screws to mount the charger on my narrow stud on the garage. The top screw head fell off while I was moving it meaning it was only held together by one screw.

I drove to Home Depot directly and bought one 2 x 2 plywood and some wood screws. I have mounted the plywood between 2 studs using six 2 inch woods screws and then mounted the HPWC bracket with six wood screws. It's so secure now that I can hang on it if I want.

You guys think the Electrician did a bad job ?

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm confused by the outlet too.. looks like a 30 amp NEMA instead of a 50 that should be used in that scenario. Maybe smaller electrical service?

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Unless he told the electrician to wire the 14-50 plug into the HPWC, I’ve only seen this once before on a YouTube vid a few months ago when someone bought a HPWC off eBay and got a 14-50 version instead of the hardware version. All of the packaging and documentation looked legitimate even though it’s not available for sale in the U.S..

And your electrician did a sloppy half-job. Be careful using this guy in the future.

EasterEgg

Country
Country
Wiring the HPWC to an 14-50 is my preference. I wanted to keep mobile charger in the car for emergencies and just in case that I don't have a Tesla in the future, I can still use the outlet.

Everything is up to code including the pig tail connection to the 15-50 with 6 gauge wire and 50A breaker.

Last edited:

c2c

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Cool. I was concerned that the electrician throttled the wall charger to match lower available amps.

EasterEgg

Country
Country
I mounted my HPWC to a single stud using just the top and bottom screws and it doesn't move at all. The manual lists the other screws to the sides as "optional". It sounds like the electrician just broke the upper screw.
You may be right, however it does feel much more secure with 6 screws.
Also if there are only 2 screws used for mounting , if 1 screw fails the last screw may not hold for long.

pjfw8

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You may be right, however it does feel much more secure with 6 screws.
Also if there are only 2 screws used for mounting , if 1 screw fails the last screw may not hold for long.
A belt and suspenders...and another belt? Must be an engineer. (I used 6, as well)

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not sure I followed if the electrician added the pigtail or this was one of those chargers purchased from the ebay seller in CA.

I want to do the same thing however. I will likely wait a few months, but I want to buy an HPWC, add a pig tail and plug it in to the 14-50 I've already got in the garage. I'll then replace the 50 amp breaker with a 60 and get the max charnging you can at home for the 3. The 60 amp breaker with a 14-50 officially breaks code, but the 6 ga wiring is rated to handle it as well as the HPWC. I'm waiting though to just see how much we might need that extra oomph while charging, which honestly I don't think we will. Then I'll go back on my plans and honestly just probably buy another UMC and save the $200 over the HPWC.

Or just wait on the next gen chargers and see what they do in a year or two. I think someone reported from the shareholder meeting yesterday that the next Gen Superchargers are in the plan, so I'm sure these home solutions will get updated in a year or two as well. Maybe they'll add the pigtail to the HPWC and sell to all.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Not sure I followed if the electrician added the pigtail or this was one of those chargers purchased from the ebay seller in CA.

I want to do the same thing however. I will likely wait a few months, but I want to buy an HPWC, add a pig tail and plug it in to the 14-50 I've already got in the garage. I'll then replace the 50 amp breaker with a 60 and get the max charnging you can at home for the 3. The 60 amp breaker with a 14-50 officially breaks code, but the 6 ga wiring is rated to handle it as well as the HPWC. .
Adding a plug (pigtail) to the HPWC really defeats most of the purpose of having a HPWC to begin with, namely that it can be set for the available amperage. If you are going to use a 50 amp outlet to plug the HPWC into, you might as well just plug a UMC into the outlet, not a HPWC.

Also, throwing in an additional point of resistance (like a pigtail and 50 amp outlet) decreases the efficiency of charging. This matters because, depending upon how far you drive, you will likely be drawing a lot of electricity through that outlet. The resistive losses add up. I wouldn't run a HPWC set to 60 amps on a 50 amp outlet. This would mean you would be drawing a continuous 48 amps through a 50 amp plug (which it's not designed to do). Would it work? Yes, probably. It's just better to install equipment made for the loads it will encounter, especially if those loads are continuous as they are with BEV charging.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I mounted my HPWC to a single stud using just the top and bottom screws and it doesn't move at all. The manual lists the other screws to the sides as "optional". It sounds like the electrician just broke the upper screw.
Yes, but I bet your HPWC is not mounted to a bare stud. I think that's the problem with the OP's install. Two screws will be more stable if the entire back of the HPWC is supported on a flat surface vs. a bare stud.

btpier

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Yes, but I bet your HPWC is not mounted to a bare stud. I think that's the problem with the OP's install. Two screws will be more stable if the entire back of the HPWC is supported on a flat surface vs. a bare stud.
Nope, bare stud in my crappy Mendards kit garage. And mine even uses the top entry bracket so it has a longer lever arm to the screws so it should be even easier to wiggle it. ;)

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Adding a plug (pigtail) to the HPWC really defeats most of the purpose of having a HPWC to begin with, namely that it can be set for the available amperage. If you are going to use a 50 amp outlet to plug the HPWC into, you might as well just plug a UMC into the outlet, not a HPWC.

Also, throwing in an additional point of resistance (like a pigtail and 50 amp outlet) decreases the efficiency of charging. This matters because, depending upon how far you drive, you will likely be drawing a lot of electricity through that outlet. The resistive losses add up. I wouldn't run a HPWC set to 60 amps on a 50 amp outlet. This would mean you would be drawing a continuous 48 amps through a 50 amp plug (which it's not designed to do). Would it work? Yes, probably. It's just better to install equipment made for the loads it will encounter, especially if those loads are continuous as they are with BEV charging.
If I did it, I'd replace the 50 amp breaker with 60. The wiring and panel can handle it, although it isn't code using the 14-50R, it would work and would let the HPWC and car charge at the 48 amp max. I really don't need the extra capacity at this point, so I'm really hoping that Tesla will redesign the chargers again in a year or so and add it then.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If I did it, I'd replace the 50 amp breaker with 60. The wiring and panel can handle it, although it isn't code using the 14-50R, it would work and would let the HPWC and car charge at the 48 amp max.
But at that point, why not remove the 14-50 outlet and hardwire the HPWC directly to the electric box where the outlet was? Then you don't have to be out-of-code at all, and it reduces the additional small source of resistance.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
But at that point, why not remove the 14-50 outlet and hardwire the HPWC directly to the electric box where the outlet was? Then you don't have to be out-of-code at all, and it reduces the additional small source of resistance.
Actually that is a good point, not sure how much wire I'll have in the box to be able to pull through and connect to the HPWC. I'll evaluate when I really get ready to buy the second connector, going to try and make do with the one that comes with the car for a few months.