HPWC Floor Cover

KO3

Country
Country
Having my HPWC installed soon. Trying to decide on the best placement. My preferred spot for ease and aesthetics is on the passenger side. The 24' cable will reach if I go around the back end of the car, but can already tell managing that much cable everyday is going to be a pain. Before I spend the extra money and running a lot of conduit just to get to the other side of the car I am investigating cable options.

Has anyone tried using a heavy duty cord cover like this with the HPWC cable? It is rated for 24,000 lbs so should be plenty sturdy enough and would also double as a parking stop. I can't see why this would not work, but wanted to see if anyone has experience with doing this and if there are any gotchas.

Attachments

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'd rather string it across the ceiling than have to run over it with the car.
Totally agree with this and if you attached it to a retractable extension cord it would be super easy to use. Don't even need to have this plugged in, just use it for the ratcheting spring mechanism. Would be great if someone made a product like this for the HPWC. Something like this:

5000a-30gf-jpg.6386

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Totally agree with this and if you attached it to a retractable extension cord it would be super easy to use. Don't even need to have this plugged in, just use it for the ratcheting spring mechanism. Would be great if someone made a product like this for the HPWC. Something like this:

View attachment 6386
some entrepreneurs have created an EV specific one (J1772) for a mere $999
but agree with @garsh, something hooked overhead, maybe with a bungy cord would be my first choice

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Don’t want to drive over a cable protector if I don’t have to. My outlet is mounted inside garage on the 18” divider between the doors. Plan is to park the Tesla in the right hand bay but to have the option for the left hand bay will get the 24’ WC (same price as the 8.5’). Plenty of cord to loop over the door and suspend the end on a bungee like Melinda said.
Also gives the option of charging anywhere on the driveway.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've routed mine overhead for the Leaf.
No retracting mechanism, but I printed a holster that I mounted to the wall for safekeeping when not in use.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I know it seems minor but I suspect after a short amount of time walking around the car and managing the cable will become a pain.

Tchris

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Having my HPWC installed soon. Trying to decide on the best placement. My preferred spot for ease and aesthetics is on the passenger side. The 24' cable will reach if I go around the back end of the car, but can already tell managing that much cable everyday is going to be a pain. Before I spend the extra money and running a lot of conduit just to get to the other side of the car I am investigating cable options.

Has anyone tried using a heavy duty cord cover like this with the HPWC cable? It is rated for 24,000 lbs so should be plenty sturdy enough and would also double as a parking stop. I can't see why this would not work, but wanted to see if anyone has experience with doing this and if there are any gotchas.

Would backing your car into the garage be a workable solution?

KO3

Country
Country
Thanks guys. I’ve looked at going of the ceiling but my garage has a really high ceiling (about 18 feet). I can hang something to drop down and hold the cable but would be a bit difficult to take down when I need to charge in my driveway.

Asked the same question in the TMC forum and had some respond with this setup which is pretty clean:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/hpwc-cord-cover.111066/#_=_

Can always commit to backing into the garage too...

Neel Patel

Country
Country
I face the same kind of setup, as I live in a semi-detached, and the concrete wall is on the left side of my garage, and I will have the charger on the right side (as thats where my access from the panel in the basement into the garage will come in.

I will likely just start backing up my car instead, it does make it easier to get out in the mornings as well! :)

Scrutmonkey

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Someone (maybe another forum) made a swinging arm that would sit against the wall and when they needed to charge, they just swing it out over the car and plug in. That should solve the “out of the way but I have a high ceiling” issue.