How will Tesla Truck sales compare to the established brands?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
After years of waiting, Tesla will finally reveal its electric pickup

"The most likely outcome, he said, is that Tesla will sell some trucks but not seriously threaten the domination of Ford, Ram and Chevrolet."

Let's see how well this prediction holds up over time.
How long did it take for the Model 3 to outsell the BMW 3-series and Mercedes C-class in North America? :)

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

"The most likely outcome, he said, is that Tesla will sell some trucks but not seriously threaten the domination of Ford, Ram and Chevrolet."

How long did it take for the Model 3 to outsell the BMW 3-series and Mercedes C-class in North America? :)
going back in time, here's a article from the same CNN writer from 2012
https://money.cnn.com/2010/11/30/autos/electric_car_glut/index.htm
here, he predicts that Tesla may not make the cut, but their tech will live on thru other automakers that they were working with at that time (Toyota, Diamler, etc), or will be acquired wholly by one of them.

SalisburySam

TOO Supporting Member
Green Level Supporter
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

This will be interesting for certain. I was thinking the 3, the 3-series, and the C-class while popular are nowhere near go-to vehicles for most American drivers. Pickup trucks by F, GM, and FCA are the most-consumed vehicles in the country and the bread and butter of those manufacturers. Also, BMW/Mercedes drivers that I know are more open to brand-shifting than any pickup owner I’ve ever encountered. Going from a F-150 to a Silverado is just absolutely heresy, as is the reverse. Are you asking me to move away from my hemi? What are you smoking? Who does that?

All that said, I would guess most new Truckla* owners will be moving into their first pickup style vehicle, at least initially. Then I’d expect small companies in the trades to get onboard given what will likely be much lower operating costs and business decisions based on unemotional dollars. Lastly, I have no idea when the emotional purchases will supplant traditional ICE trucks, but I think that’s a pretty hard sell today almost without regard to savings, costs, features, etc. Hope I’m wrong.

*apologies to Simone Giertz, but what a great name.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This will be interesting for certain. I was thinking the 3, the 3-series, and the C-class while popular are nowhere near go-to vehicles for most American drivers. Pickup trucks by F, GM, and FCA are the most-consumed vehicles in the country and the bread and butter of those manufacturers. Also, BMW/Mercedes drivers that I know are more open to brand-shifting than any pickup owner I’ve ever encountered. Going from a F-150 to a Silverado is just absolutely heresy, as is the reverse. Are you asking me to move away from my hemi? What are you smoking? Who does that?

All that said, I would guess most new Truckla* owners will be moving into their first pickup style vehicle, at least initially. Then I’d expect small companies in the trades to get onboard given what will likely be much lower operating costs and business decisions based on unemotional dollars. Lastly, I have no idea when the emotional purchases will supplant traditional ICE trucks, but I think that’s a pretty hard sell today almost without regard to savings, costs, features, etc. Hope I’m wrong.

*apologies to Simone Giertz, but what a great name.
I think where tesla could win this segment will be with company trucks. Companies buy based on the bottom line, not emotion or loyalty like individuals. And there are a lot of company owned pickups out there. I’d guess likely equal to the number of privately owned pickups.