How will owner priority be handled?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyone dare to take a guess how they’ll handle owner priority for Model Y? There are a lot more owners with Model 3 this time around and I have a good feeling the Y will be popular. Dependent on timing, this will probably be my wife’s next car.

Think priority will be the same concept — employees (West to east), owners (West to east), everyone else (west to east to outside US)? Do S/X/Roadster get more priority than a 3?

Last edited:

jman

I am an owner, and wondering how many owners ordered a 3 from west to east, considering I am in Mass I don't figure to get ours until April/May at earliest.....

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They should build an east coast factory and go east to west.
That's an excellent point.

The Fremont factory doesn't have enough capacity to handle the model Y. So for that vehicle, I think Tesla will either build the entire vehicle at the Sparks NV Gigafactory, or they'll build/buy a factory elsewhere.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I’m just wondering whether I’ll get to enjoy Midnight S≡R≡NITY before the first employees get their Y... :D

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyone dare to take a guess how they’ll handle owner priority for Model Y? There are a lot more owners with Model 3 this time around and I have a good feeling the Y will be popular. Dependent on timing, this will probably be my wife’s next car.

Think priority will be the same concept — employees (West to east), owners (West to east), everyone else (west to east to outside US)? Do S/X/Roadster get more priority than a 3?
Model 3 is an ENTIRELY new car from the ground up with almost no carry over from the S or X, and is the companies first high volume vehicle, for that reason an abundance of caution on the part of Tesla is warranted (Employees followed by existing owners, west to east etc.) The Model Y will be built on the model 3 platform, new body and obviously changes to the interior, particular behind the front seats but the majority of technology will be borrowed from the Model 3. For that reason I do not think they need to roll out the same way. They should be safe to simply prioritize by reservation date/time.

my 2 cents.....

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The Model Y will be built on the model 3 platform, new body and obviously changes to the interior, particular behind the front seats but the majority of technology will be borrowed from the Model 3.
The slow Model 3 ramp up is due more to the issues that pop up when trying to introduce a new production line - not so much due to the car design itself.

Since the Y will share the 3's chassis, they'll have that part sorted, but they'll still have some issues getting the rest of the production line operating. So I wouldn't be surprised if they have a similar roll-out plan, allowing them to quickly identify and fix early production issues close to the factory.

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The slow Model 3 ramp up is due more to the issues that pop up when trying to introduce a new production line - not so much due to the car design itself.

Since the Y will share the 3's chassis, they'll have that part sorted, but they'll still have some issues getting the rest of the production line operating. So I wouldn't be surprised if they have a similar roll-out plan, allowing them to quickly identify and fix early production issues close to the factory.
Production line issues certainly impact production ramp rate but I believe the sequence (1-employees 2-Owners etc.) had more to do with skipping some of the beta testing and getting feedback.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
European Gigafactory is long overdue... the interest on this side of the Atlantic is only growing!
If going by interest or market size, then I think Tesla would want to open the next factory in Asia. The Chinese market is just enormous.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Fortunately with the Y I won't care about the wait since I'll be buying it with the intent for my gf to use it. I have no interest in SUVs or crossovers, so she'll be the one to suffer for a couple of years.
Same on my side — it’s purely for my wife. I’m not really into SUV/CUV.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Fortunately with the Y I won't care about the wait since I'll be buying it with the intent for my gf to use it. I have no interest in SUVs or crossovers, so she'll be the one to suffer for a couple of years.
Same on my side — it’s purely for my wife. I’m not really into SUV/CUV.
So because it would be for the wife, you guys don’t care about waiting..?

That would be precisely why I would want it to come faster!! :D

Prodigal Son

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

1. I am refraining from a joke that is not suitable for the all-ages nature of this site. I'm noting this to show that I can be a good boy :D

2. It's entirely possible she may become as unbearable as I have, but she loves her current car so I probably won't even tell her when I make the reservation, and perhaps might not even tell her once I put in the actual order :D

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Nope — I hope it arrives as quickly as possible, I just meant it’s not my cup of tea. I want my wife to be happy and I want her driving a Tesla!