Question How to remove & replace the tow hitch cover?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

help_balance_thegrid_with_evdotenergy

Mr_Wigs

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
How do you remove and replace the tow hitch receiver cover on Model Y? I ordered the tow hitch option, but all I see is the cover. I've looked at some videos and it seems like people have been able to pry the cover off with a screw driver, but it there a better way? Or a better tool?
Also, how should you reinstall this cover after removal? I haven't seen a video that includes how to put the cover back on after you're done towing. Can you help me out? I don't want to break the cover or not be able to put it back on!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I've looked at some videos and it seems like people have been able to pry the cover off with a screw driver, but it there a better way? Or a better tool?
Matthew Budraitis has some really nice Tesla videos.
Here he shows how to remove the cover using either plastic trim removal tools, or a tool that he created and sells ($15 + $5 S&H for two).

JaxY

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
How do you remove and replace the tow hitch receiver cover on Model Y? I ordered the tow hitch option, but all I see is the cover. I've looked at some videos and it seems like people have been able to pry the cover off with a screw driver, but it there a better way? Or a better tool?
Also, how should you reinstall this cover after removal? I haven't seen a video that includes how to put the cover back on after you're done towing. Can you help me out? I don't want to break the cover or not be able to put it back on!

I really like this solution from LivingTesla. I also bought his tools ($15), but ended up taking delivery of a differently configured MY, without the tow hitch. Oh, well.