How to keep my steering wheel like new?

Country
Country
Hi, just got my model 3 two weeks ago, and I love the feel of my new clean steering wheel. Other than regular hand washes before driving, what do you guys recommend for keeping it clean and new? Do products like the ones from nextzett work to keep the nice matte finish on the steering wheel? Any product recommendations are welcome. Thanks!

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

PandaM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

jala

Congrats on your new 3! I have been using a damp -> wet 100% cotton white terri on my 13 year old 300,000 mile Jetta deisal steering wheel with great results. I have also been doing the same on the 5+ year old S and am currently doing the same on the 3. I am just too darn old here to deploy any of these fancy cleaners.

Good-luck!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I thought word was the seats were vegan leather and the steering wheel was still leather.
That was the case for the Model S when they first switched to all-vegan seats.

I don't know if we ever heard anything for sure about the Model 3's steering wheel.
My purchasing agent said the steering wheel is leather, everything else is fake leather.
Yeah, I wouldn't trust that a purchasing agent would know for sure.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I thought Tesla had a policy to be entirely vegan. And will be extremely upset if this has changed. Seriously, if they deliver the car with parts of dead animals in it, I will be removing them, dousing them in gasoline, and lighting them on fire on front of wherever the nearest Tesla store happens to be at the time.

Not. Acceptable.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Over at TMC, someone sent an email to Tesla Sales asking about the steering wheel and got the following response:
Tesla Sales said:

My name is Chanel and I’m an Inside Sales Advisor here at Tesla. Thank you for your interest in our vehicles and products. Model 3’s are leather-free because unlike Model S/X, Model 3 does not have a leather steering wheel. Please be aware that our interiors are not 100% vegan due to various adhesives that may not be actually vegan; however, It is free of any animal hides. I hope this information helps
EDIT: this information is apparently incorrect. The steering wheel is leather.

I've posted a new, official response from Tesla in post #21 of this thread.

Also, the subject came up during the Q&A session of the 2018 Tesla Shareholders meeting, and Elon confirmed that all Tesla steering wheels are still leather.

Last edited:

c2c

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A bit of nostalgia: Remember the many postings about how ugly th he steering wheel appeared in photos, and the promises of certainly replacing the steering wheel? Are aftermarket steering wheels even an item? Or am I not shopping the right stores?

PandaM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Aside from making sure I don't drive with greasy hands. I use leatherique very good in bringing back the leather back to its original condition without making it shiny

http://www.leatherique.com/
So what’s the consensus? Is it leather or is it vegan leather? Email from Tesla seems to say it is vegan leather as quoted a few posts up.

Is it in the car’s manual for the care of the interior?