How Sales Tax Is Handled for WI Residents

SwaggerWagon

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just finished picking up our Model 3 in Highland Park, IL. The delivery process wasn't as smooth as it could have been, largely from a lack of knowledge on ISA and delivery specialsts part on how to handle taxes for WI.

Basically, because you're buying from an IL Tesla store, you don't pay any taxes when you buy the car. Even on your final MVPA, there's no taxes listed. They also can't register your car - you have to take it to the DMV with paperwork that Tesla will FedEx to you and get your car registered. At the same time, you'll pay your WI sales tax.

It would've been nice to know ahead of time that I wouldn't be able to roll my sales tax into the loan, as this is something I typically do. Luckily I hadn't put in the down payment yet (other than the $2500 order fee and $1000 reservation fee) so I was able to lower my down payment by the amount sales tax will be, and it'll be a wash. Just nice to know that stuff ahead of time - no one likes $2500 surprises.

Hope it helps anyone else sleep more soundly at night knowing what they're getting into.

SwaggerWagon

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Didn’t transfer, kept them so people can test drive my car as I’m selling it myself. But you can do that at the DMV when you register the Tesla. I think you’d just take them off before handing your car over to Tesla.

Good to know. Did you transfer plates from an old vehicle? Just trying to figure everything out prior to picking up.

Shogun

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the info. I was wondering about taxes also. So far I've only seen two Model 3's... A blue one parked down town Milwaukee and a Midnight Silver charging at work today.