How often does your screen power OFF?

How often does the car power down completely under any circumstances, parked more than 10 minutes?

• Never - it's always on

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • 1-24% of the time

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • 25-50% of the time

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • 51-74% of the time

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • 75-100% of the time

Votes: 11 12.9%

• Total voters

TheHairyOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No luck with an OTA solution when I called Tesla and spoke for 30 minutes...
Note: They have a call-back feature now so you don't have to wait on hold. They called me back within 6 minutes, which was way better than the 60+ minutes a month ago.
... but yea no OTA solution. Scheduled a SC appointment for Feb 25th. I'll bring up the SD card as a "known" issue to see if that helps them fix it quicker. Also try and find out what the location of the card is, so that I can see if I can swap in an Industrial card later if the issue re-surfaces. Then see if that helps; at which point if it doesn't it might be a file system type corruption issue vs. NAND/thermal issue.

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Further, Just got 50.6 pushed to me during my sc visit yesterday... Way too soon to tell, but so far I've had a booted up screen on all four uses, and remote booting the car with the app has worked every time within 20 seconds, usually within 10. I'm really hopeful that has made a dent in my annoyance.

EarlyBuyer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
About every 10 or so days I get the black screen, then the Tesla "T" appears, and then slowly the entire screen graphics reappear.

TheHairyOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Another good statistic to start gathering would be to measure how long it takes for this to happen after performing a "power-off" power cycle, which Tesla told me was a cold-boot vs. the two-button reset is a warm-boot.

A cold boot removes power from the controller board, so all IC's and processor get a full reset. On warm-boots not all registers are reset to their defaults. So far after doing a "power-off" power cycle (~2 min) in my car the issue hasn't came back. I'll keep track of elapsed time to when it returns and. My hope is that it take a lot longer to come back. Lets see...

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've been getting screen reboots and laggy screen info since delivery last August. After multiple service requests and software updates the issue persists. I even provided pics and videos with timestamps. Only after complaining to Tesla corp (versus the sh$%ty service center near me) did they decide to replace a "module". I'll get it back tomorrow and I'm hoping this fixed the black screen of death issue. IMO, if this happens more than once in a great while, your car is broken. Proof and persistence will get it fixed.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not sure what you mean. I say black screen in terms of rebooting or freezing with a dark screen. This does require a manual reboot if it doesn't fix itself. The lagging screen is self explanatory.

TheHairyOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My screen was black when I came into the car and wouldn't come on. Methods to rcover were:
- use app to sommon and screen would turn on
- two finger reset

Once on, I called support and was told to go under the menu I presses the power-off button. Wait two minutes then press brake pedal. After doing this for any issue I stopped getting the black screen on entry issue.

So now I only use two finger to auickly recover something but make sure i do the power off version when I get home.

Once the black screen prevented over night charging and screwed me over with a low charge state and a long drive to,work.

TheHairyOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@iChris93 I was doing the two finger progressively more often until one night it didnt charge and the next day it did it twice in a row. Called CS and they asked me to do the power off reset meathod, and it hasn't happened again since. Now when ever any issue happens, like: no LTE, audio playback failure after usb stick audio crashes (had a bad stick for,a while), or back up camera appears black, I perform the power off reset vs. two finger. As a result I feel that I have way fewer issues. Also I've switched to a SSD for camera with a 32gB fat32 partition and ext4 for music. This too may have made a big difference as a lot of my two,finger resets were after switching between usb audio and streaming. The media player would lock up, but radio would still work. Hasn't happened with ssd this far. Used a 2TB drive so plenty of ware leveling before it fails.

TheMagician

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anybody get a 2019 update yet that gets the “black screen” and can confirm its fixed? My car is only getting worse. I get a black screen 2 out of 3 times now. And it’s bizarre how it acts sometimes. I can open the back door and instantly the screen powers on. I then shut that door and the screen goes off.
Immediately open the front door and nothing! It’s really getting frustrating.

I’ve taken the car to the SC 3 times now but no hardware has been replaced (I show them the posts from this board about the various fixes other SC’s have tried). Tesla has told me numerous times (both verbally and in writing) that update 2018.52 would address this issue. Now, with 2019 updates rolling out, guess we’ll never see this one.

Last edited:

TheHairyOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
3rd time this variant of the black screen has happened to me, happened yesterday around noon:
- open app while walking toward car, was going to summon it out of a tight spot
- waking up took too long so I just got into car
- screen displayed a message:graphic asking me to use valet key to open the door even though I was already seated in driver seat
- screen then goes dark
- open door, screen dark
- open app and press summon screen comes on and I drive, without being prompted for my pin (security issue???)
- haven’t performed a power off reset yet, taking car to service on Saturday for a door alignment issue, will ask them to pull log and ask if they could replace the sd card and download lates fw etc

So that’s three times I could get out of dark screen by using summon, and each time t doesn’t primpt for pin.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
3rd time this variant of the black screen has happened to me, happened yesterday around noon:
- open app while walking toward car, was going to summon it out of a tight spot
- waking up took too long so I just got into car
- screen displayed a message:graphic asking me to use valet key to open the door even though I was already seated in driver seat
- screen then goes dark
- open door, screen dark
- open app and press summon screen comes on and I drive, without being prompted for my pin (security issue???)
- haven’t performed a power off reset yet, taking car to service on Saturday for a door alignment issue, will ask them to pull log and ask if they could replace the sd card and download lates fw etc

So that’s three times I could get out of dark screen by using summon, and each time t doesn’t primpt for pin.
Sorry to hear of the continued problems. Can you tell us what SD card you are going to have replaced?

TheHairyOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
i read another post where someone said that their SC replaced the SD card, where supposedly the updated firmwares are stored vs resident memory like emmc/ssd/not/nand, so assuming what they said was factual I plan in requesting the same “service.” I also read somewhere where someone had an over the air reformat of their sd card performed, when I requested this via phone I was denied and given a service appointment instead. Which is scheduled for Monday with a Saturday drop off (this weekend).

TheMagician

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
i read another post where someone said that their SC replaced the SD card, where supposedly the updated firmwares are stored vs resident memory like emmc/ssd/not/nand, so assuming what they said was factual I plan in requesting the same “service.” I also read somewhere where someone had an over the air reformat of their sd card performed, when I requested this via phone I was denied and given a service appointment instead. Which is scheduled for Monday with a Saturday drop off (this weekend).
I brought up replacing the SD card to my SC a couple of weeks ago and they said no with the same line I’ve heard at least half a dozen times “update 2018.52 will fix this issue”. If you do manage to have the card replaced and it does indeed fix your dark screen issues, would really appreciate if you could post whatever documentation they give you. Right now I put it in the folklore category.

TheHairyOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Was told that the issue was related to the use of usb/sd for camera and music today, tech wasn’t aware of a replaceable internal sdcard.

I did notice a reduction in frequency when I switched to a SSD (just once).

Guess time will tell. For now they’re re-aligning my door, ordering a replacement rear bench, all out of badges so no badge, going to drive with another tech in front to listen to brake servo while in EAP, goi g to leave car in sun and then run ac to try and repeat dash board ticking. I’m thinking they’ll only fix the door for now. And I’ll have to go back for the rest when it warms up.

Pareto

Country
Country
I’ve had this issue since initial delivery ~8 months ago. Was told it was a firmware issue both times i’ve taken it in. Picked up the car this week and got 50.6. Issue happened again next day. Not amused.

TheMagician

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’ve had this issue since initial delivery ~8 months ago. Was told it was a firmware issue both times i’ve taken it in. Picked up the car this week and got 50.6. Issue happened again next day. Not amused.
Have been told for the last 6 months that 2018.52 would fix it. At least one person is reporting that a 2019 update fixed his dark screen issue. We should all know in a couple of weeks if Tesla was just blowing smoke.

TheHairyOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Picked car up, they upgraded me to 50.6 no Sentry mode :(

Why not upgrade to latest vs. tease me with “upgrade”?

Screen crashed while driving, 3 minutes away from SC parking lot. Pressed bug report when it booted back up. Didn’t even plug in my USB SSD yet... just browsing streaming stations.

Country
Country
Anybody else on 2019.5.4 see a reduction in the black screen reboot? On 2018.50.6, I was getting the reboots multiple times a day. Going to try some tests without sentry mode and will report back.